Wyze Thermostat Heat and AC running at the same time?

Installed the new wyze thermostat and now the AC and Heat run at the same time? Checked the wiring all the way back to the furnace and nothing crossed or touching. When I disconnect the Y1 the AC turns odd and the heat works fine. Reset the thermostat several times and still have the same problem?

Have R, W, Y, G after the adapter was installed at the furnace

Hooked up on the Wyze thermostat

R to RC
W to W1
Y to Y1
G to C

Is your compressor kicking on when you set it to heat?

I’m having problems with mine too. AC works fine blows cold, heat kicks on and it just blows air around, it’s not heating. I have what sounds like the same wiring co figuration as you.

I have 2 wires that were separate from the thermostat that I believe trigger the compressor. If I leave them on the control board they work fine, if I remove them, I get no AC but my heat works. Idk

Same issue here. I’ve checked and double checked all of my wiring, the wiring is correct.

EDIT: I deleted the thermostat in wyze app and did a reset on the thermostat itself by holding the center button for 5 seconds. The important next step after re-syncing the thermostat is to specify what type of AC you have after the syncing step. This time around I selected electric and forced air… now it’s operating as it should.

Do you actually have electric or do you have a gas furnace and you tricked it using electric?

Electric heat pump. Using the correct wiring and selecting the correct AC resulted in a properly functioning thermostat.

1st round I somehow broke the G wire from within my air handler housing.
2nd round did the setup but SKIPPED over the AC type selection.
3rd time is a charm.

Unfortunately for many of us, they didn’t make the wyze app dummy proof. The app itself doesn’t mind glitching and/or letting us skip the AC selection process which is a big no no.

I am having the same issue with the heat and air compressor kicking on together on heat. AC seems to work fine on cool. I have a similar wire setup except I had an extra red wire connected to Y on the furnace board and also had a C wire connected as well on the furnace board.

I am having the same issue with the heat and air compressor kicking on together on heat. AC seems to work fine on cool. I have a similar wire setup except I had an extra red wire connected to Y on the furnace board and also had a C wire connected as well on the furnace board.

Resolved. I had put the red wire which was connected to Y on the furnace board on Y on the C wire adapter. After I removed this from the C wire adapter and put it back on the furnace board resolved the issue. Went back through the whole adding thermostat process after I moved the wire back to the board.

3 Likes

Thank you, u2holic! That’s exactly what I did! BTW - I didn’t have to go back through the ‘add thermostat’ process. I simply ran the System Test and all worked correctly. I think Wyze needs to add this scenario to their instructions. Fortunately, my wife identified the AC compressor running, otherwise, I would have never figured out why there was a ‘roar’ sound whenever the heat came on! - lol!

1 Like

@u2holic & @bill55 my setup is the same, encountering same issue with AC and Furnace kicking on at same time.

I think I follow - originally, when the error was occurring, the red wire was in the Y slot in C-adapter. To fix, you moved red Y back to Y on control board?

Solved. For anyone else experiencing this issue, this is the fix.

Here is another control board example before wiring C-adapter, Common wire and red Y1 were part of same harness. Yellow Y is barely visible in Y control plug.

Red wire moved back to Y on board w/ C-adapter. Left C wire on board.

More complicated than it needed to be, but done!!

20201231_121900 (2)|375x500

Yes Sir red Y back to the control board. Looks like it fixed you as well, good deal!

Thank you! I had the same issue. They should make sure people don’t move all the wires from that additional harness to the c wire adapter.

Same here. I had moved both wires over and was noticing the AC turn on for heat. The AC compressor seemed extra noisy too than when operating normally. Hope it didn’t cause any damage. I moved the one wire back and ran the test again. So far so good.

That’s interesting you say that @outlier. The first time the AC compressor kicked on after adding the C-Wire adapter (and having the extra red wire attached to it), my dog jumped up (was startled) by the sound. I had it connected this way for 2 days, and it wasn’t until my wife got home and asked me why the AC compressor was running with the heat on, that I was able to pinpoint what the noise was.

If there’s anyone on this list that can speak to WHY the compressor sounded so much louder in this configuration, and IF any damage could have occurred, we’d appreciate your comments! :slight_smile:

Maybe the wiring mistake made it such that the compressor was running without the coolant circulating? Just a wild guess.