Wyze Thermostat Problem - AC on with Heat

Does your old one use batteries, or did you somehow manage to tell the wyze that you have a heat pump?

I did get an app update after adding it the first time. And my old thermostat did have batteries but worked with and without those. Right now I have the old thermostat hooked up until I can get a solid fix or something to try. I reached out to wyze for support as well. Also, hooked it up twice, both times not choosing heat pump.

Check the settings in the app. Under advance, there is an option to swap heat and cool. I think it has something to do with O/B for the reversing valve.

Heat + AC. That’s a new feature Defrost Mode. Use it to keep the windows clear and reduce the chance of a collision when it’s icy outside!

Yea thinking more people are having issues than not. I have two as gifts plus mine and all three are having the same issue as everyone else. I have contacted support. And as to my surprise no one has reached back out about the issue. This has really changed my mind n the products and service of Wyze. And not in a good way either.

Have you asked for assistance here? I’ve helped a ton of people resolve their issues. A lot of the problem with heat running while ac is also running is due to people not understanding how the system should be wired, or install techs being lazy and not running separate Y and C wires from the outdoor AC to the thermostat. If you are using the adapter, and your compressor is connected upstream of the connector, between the thermostat and the wyze adapter, then whenever your heat comes on, it will switch Y to G to turn on the fan, but because your AC is in that circuit; it gets turned on as well.

here’s how it should be wired:

And here’s how some companies wire it
This will cause the AC compressor and outdoor fan to run whenever the Y wire has electricity, and because the wyze C adapter uses the Y wire for fan during a heat cycle, this will cause the problem that people are having.

6 Likes

If old stat was wired so red is Rh why wire it into Rc on the wyze? Does all say to do that?

I’m still using my old thermostat until I get a solid fix or something new to try. Have not heard back from support as well. Speadie you have been helpful, but I’m still stuck with my issues. Wires look correct, no c adapter and separate AC wires to the outside unit.

Rh it shows to wire it as Rc with no jumper. Also my wyze thermostat would not turn on when wired to just Rh.

Wyze powers itself off of Rc and C, not Rh. it will switch Rc to cooling and heating if Rh is not present, or if Rh is present, it will switch Rc to cooling and Rh to heating.

This leads me to think that your wiring is set up weirdly. If Y1 is disconnected, the wyze is not calling for the compressor to run. I’ve got one last idea you can try if you want. Try disconnecting the G wire from the thermostat. Your board may be calling for AC when the fan is called for some reason. Most thermostats do not call for the fan during a heat cycle, the wyze does (The furnace usually controls the fan in newer systems) If this is the case, the fan should kick on automatically after a short delay when a cooling or heating call is made. If it does not, then this will not work for you.

The fan blows and that’s about it. So cold air when air is on and no warm air when heat is on. I do get the smell of the heat when I turn it on. I’m in Louisiana in a loft apartment so I don’t use the heat much if ever. Here is the pics of the wires

strong text

Here is the error I received at first

1 Like

I think you have a heat pump. use the labels on the lower part of your old thermostat to determine the wire labeling.

!

Where does the orange wire (labeled W1 on your current wiring) go? I need to see it connect to the control board.

I believe your wires should be labeled from left to right:
Black wire> unused
White wire: Aux or E
Green wire: G
Orange wire: O/B
Blue wire: C
Yellow wire : Y
Red wire R