Wyze testing labs

The_community,should be a heeded advisement,group. If,it is not to be heeded, it ahould not exist. Minutes or discussions among members should be publihed to buyers/potential buyers.

M. Morgan - not a member

Good luck because neither are you. After contacting centercode neither are youā€¦unless you have a YouTube channel that will hype their products. They literally call them V.I.P. Beta testers and comprise a good majority of the testers and then the rest are the same Beta testers over and over again because if you do a good job they use you again so that all limits the new spots down to a few new spots with every new beta. They have thousands of applications. All I am saying is the least they could do is say ā€œhere is 5% or 10% off that product that you took time out of your day at our request to make betterā€ . So yeah keep wasting all your time on another overly capitalistic scheme to pay as little as possible for as much as possible.

Itā€™s not free. Facebook and Google didnā€™t become multi billion dollar business because that information isnā€™t valuable. And after you are selected for a beta test your required to put in actual work to test that product.
So thousands of you are giving hours of your time and personal info for a chance to have a testing job that likely wouldnā€™t equate to minimum wage if you compare testing time to purchasing the product outright.

So no its not hard to argue with. Your just all blinded by the chance of getting something ā€œfreeā€ that you canā€™t see the disgusting cogs of capitalism taking placeā€¦

Your view is your view. If you are not happy with how they do this process, then opt out. As stated, all of us have our way of thinking about it, I for one am not concerned.

Seems futile to continue down this path.

2 Likes

Your right it is futile to go down a path where your time and info goes into another personā€™s pocketsā€¦ and I can tell you now after talking with centercode their Beta testing program. You will never be selected. There is like less than a 10th of a percent. 1/3000 that you will be selected.

I agree with the underlying gist of Nickā€™s position, which is why I started choosing not to participate in most beta and testing programsā€¦ about 30 years ago. Itā€™s really not a big deal.

2 Likes

Please donā€™t take what I wrote out of context. My statement about being futile is to state that you continuing to repeat yourself over and over is futile, your way of thinking is yours. Everyone has their take on this as well. As I sgtated in previous posts, I did not spend hours and hours on filling in the forms, if I get selected, great. If not, I did not lose anything. I would believe you have spent more time trying to convince other forum members of your view than is worth it. Simply opt-out. then there is no concern.

3 Likes

you do always have the alternative, not to volunteer to participate. I and at least a couple other make the choice to do what we do with Wyze because we like the direction of the company and the products that come of that. Wyze makes it quite clear what is at stake, what is expected and what you as a tester will receive in return for participating in the testing. for one to "expect " more is to argue with the void.

for instance. the Mavens and the Modsā€¦we are all volunteers. we didnā€™t seek our positions out, we were merely recognized for certain reasons and offered a chance. it just so happened that the positions matched that which we were already doing within the community, having our position just gives a slightly more official ā€œstampā€ The return we get from what we do in this position is to be able to help our fellow tech enthusiast community and occasionally we might be given some insight into an issue that Wyze is dealing with such as server issues so that we with our positions can help the community stay better informed as we are on here much more and get our eyes around the web much quicker. and I think my fellow Mavens and Mods would agree that having the ability to help the community is reward enough.

if you feel you still want to do things with Wyze but receive more compensation ( which is understandable) there is of course an alternative.

check out their open positions. there might just be something right up your alley.

8 Likes

Iknow

You know, some of us may just like testing stuff out as a hobby. Iā€™ve beta tested hardware for a few companies. As a perk I got to keep the things I tested (many of which I still use). I donā€™t think of it like work or a job nor would I ever expect to be paid for something I consider to be a hobby.

At the end of the day the only person responsible for managing your expectations is you. You just had expectations that were unrealistic. :woman_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

Right but the only reason they are unrealistic is because of the two call to action emails from wyze saying they ā€œNEEDā€ Beta testers. It is far from the actual chance you have at beta testing. Also wyze used FB before centercode and I am willing to bet that was atleast fair consideration. Now with centercode they promote getting the largest possible beta group for information gathering purposes. Then selecting VIP testers(YouTube reviewers, bloggers and so on.) And using testers that have done well before. Leaving a couple of spots for the others. Doing all this while requiring more information than ever.I would be happy with a 5% discount. Honestly I would be happy if they just restrain themselves from taking it to the far end of capitalism. Where there trying to get the most information possible while providing the least amount of benifit.

Donā€™t get me wrong I like wyze I like their Company and their products but I do not like the way their count in carrying out their Beta tests and I donā€™t like My time and efforts being taken advantage of like that.

1 Like

Did you really contact centercode (who I have known for over a decade) about me?

That is a bit much, donā€™t you think?

Hello!

Iā€™m here to provide some insight and context. It sounds like Centercode may have given you some general information about how their clients do hardware testing but some of the aspects of these posts donā€™t apply to our testing so Iā€™d like to take the opportunity to clear things up. My apologies for the novella that I am penning. :slight_smile:

First, I understand your frustration and appreciate you voicing it. We used to only email fewer segments of our tester pool but we broadened the email strategy because we received feedback that folks were feeling like they needed to log into the platform daily just in case they would otherwise miss something. In an effort to reduce that effort and time sink, we are now emailing the full membership to apply so folks have the opportunity to check if they fit the posted qualifications. You should not have to check our testing platform every day for open opportunities now. :slight_smile:

When selecting testers, we filter the applications using the qualifications listed on the page so that only the qualified candidates are able to be selected and remove folks that are already in another hardware test. We then sort through the remaining applications to get a balanced tester pool from regions across the nation, age groups, gender, etc. Some ratios may be adjusted based on requirements from Project Managers for reasons such as needing to test more of the product in environments that may be less well-suited for it.

The Facebook testing was actually run as a 1st come 1st serve through a sign-up form in Airtable. I wouldnā€™t actually say it was more fair or easier to get in. Before we migrated to Centercode, there were over 20,000 entries waiting to work with us. We didnā€™t have information such as what kinds of products they use, demographics (as an example, age and sex make an important difference when testing scales so itā€™s important to get a blend of testers), tech-savviness, etc. This caused us difficulty in some of our tests because the tester pool was heavily unbalanced and it could cause us to miss important issues or ideas and sometimes we had to extend a test and add more testers later to investigate key areas.

Since moving to Centercode, our tester pool is multiple thousands smaller than the old sign-up form. We do often work with our Mods and Mavens for tests so that they are trained with our newer devices and are able to help our communities at launch. This also allows them to flag issues that may occur after a launch during testing because they have a deep understanding of our communities due to their ongoing experience helping folks. As much as we deeply value their time, the recycling is intended to help them be more efficient when our customers are in need of assistance.

However, we rarely recycle other testers these days (although that was more common in 2018 and early 2019) because there are so many people waiting to work with us. You may have caught the occasional instance online of someone that worked with us in the early days talking about how frustrating it is that they arenā€™t selected anymore. We are sympathetic to this and miss those testers but there are also issues that arise if a tester is too familiar with the testing process from a single company. For example, it makes people less likely to think outside the box over time and can impact likelihood of reporting issues. You also may have noticed that we donā€™t ask anywhere in there if someone is an influencer. We donā€™t ask about it in the qualification surveys for individual open opportunities either. I personally would prefer to not have influences or PR people take part in the bug-bashing component. This is part of why we send out samples to PR shortly before a launch instead. :man_shrugging:

Yes, the pool is much larger than the amount of hardware we have available but we also are upfront about that in the application page. We try to frame things as, ā€œThere is an opportunity for testing that you may be interested in,ā€ instead of saying things like, ā€œWe need you to help test!ā€ For that end, hereā€™s a copy of the email notification that goes out if there is an open opportunity available. The closing may be adjusted based on the day of the week to wish people a good week or weekend and we may adjust the pluralization if there are multiple open opportunities.

"New Wyze Testing Opportunity

Hello!

Thereā€™s a new Wyze hardware testing application available in the Wyze Testing platform. If youā€™re interested, please log in and check it out!

https://wyze-testing.centercode.com/

We hope you have a great week!

Best,

The Wyze Beta team"

Please note that none of this was written with the intention of ā€œproving you wrong.ā€ Your opinion is valid and we appreciate you taking the time to share it. I just wanted to take this opportunity to address some of the pain points and offer greater transparency into our process. :heart:

Have a great weekend!

8 Likes

Yes I contacted them. As well as reading their site.

Amazing that they responded to you and removed me as a tester after 10+ years so quickly based on your single email from someone that isnā€™t even a tester for them.

Funny tho that they havenā€™t said a word to me.

Good day sir.

1 Like

Wait, did they seriously remove you as a tester? :hushed:

According to the OP, he made it happen within a few hours with just a single e-mail after I suggested that folks complaining about not getting compensated (even if not selected) might not be the kind of tester they were looking for.

(it didnā€™t happen)

1 Like

I would log into centercode and see if your account is still there. I find it hard to believe that someone else can remove you as a tester without your approval.

1 Like

No worries itā€™s still there :slight_smile:

2 Likes