Wyze Switch - Smart light switch

I wanted to order the smart switch. Most of my rooms use 2-way\3 way dimmers… Although, I like the ability to press the switch to create actions for other devices.

I don’t understand if Home Depot has stock sitting in the back ready to put on the shelves, why is it going to take until December for Wyze to begin shipping now that preordering has begun? Why not go ahead and let retailers lose?

Someone said it’s because the app isn’t ready for it. But we’ve seen reports of people getting them from HomeDepot anyway.

1 Like

I’ve read that too, and I guess the implication is that the app won’t be ready until December. :sloth: But it could probably still be operated using smart assistants’ apps, no? Seems like the Alexa app knows there’s a new iot gadget the minute it’s plugged up. :laughing:

To my understanding that’s entirely based on whether the Wyze skill talks to it properly. Amazon/Alexa doesn’t really deal with many products directly. And contrary to my earliest assumptions, few skills are actually hosted by Alexa servers but rather are operated by each manufacturer. I think.

1 Like

We’ll, then, the app update can’t come fast enough for me…

Purchased 1 at Home Depot, they had a load in stock, set it up in Alexa, works great

2 Likes

What city HD, if you don’t mind my asking? I checked in Lawrenceville, GA just yesterday but they weren’t in stock. At least not with the other smart switches.

I bought several switches off the shelf of HD in Dallas/Fort Worth six/eight days ago. :mlg

1 Like

Freehold NJ

1 Like

Good, but it doesn’t actually change my theory. Perhaps the Wyze Skill is capable of handling the switch while the mobile app is not yet.

I know these say the require a neutral wire – but if I only need SMART control can they be wired up to not need neutral? I have older wiring without neutral and Wyze bulbs in all my fixtures already – so I actually don’t want it to just turn off the power ever, but just behave as a smart button.

1 Like

Hmm,maybe? The only way to independently power the switch without a neutral is via ground, and of course that is BAD.

But if you’re willing to leave it on all the time and the switch isn’t really controlling power to the socket at all - and assuming you never remove the bulb and break the circuit, I guess it would work(?).

Might want to check with an electrician on this.

Right – I understand why it needs neutral if its actually switching power, but is it designed in a way that I can use it essentially as a smart button – or will it simply refuse to work without neutral wired up?

@UserCustomerGwen hoping you can get a definitive answer about this!

1 Like

The switch itself has to be powered, and that requires a complete circuit.

Let me put it another way: Have you ever seen a plug-in device that worked if only a single prong was plugged in?

Sure, obviously it must be powered – however this is not a simple circuit – the device includes microcontrollers and circuitry that control power flow/delivery. Hence it is even possible a software change could allow it to just use the load/line wires to allow the device to remain powered – which is all I need since I only need the “smart button” functionality – I don’t want it to cut power since I am only controlling smart bulbs.

I believe I see what you are getting at, but I have to wonder how many people would have a situation where they don’t mind keeping the complete circuit powered just to use a smart switch. That would come down to people that have fit in one of the following categories:

1. Have a smart light or smart socket, and weren’t really using the switch anyway.
  2. Have a light they don’t mind leaving on all the time.
  3. Have a light they don’t mind replacing with a “null” device (like one of those adapters that converts a light socket to a plug) to complete the circuit.

Well one of the features of this switch is supposed to be smart bulb control on the same circuit. Direct quote from the product page: “Enable Smart Control and Wyze Switch turns on or off your Wyze Bulb but leaves your power and automations intact.”

That is my exact use case – I have smart bulbs everywhere already, but I also want a button switch so its easier for guests to get the lights working. The smart bulbs still allow me to have other automations and change color/temp even if the on/off functionality is redundant with the switch.

1 Like

GE makes a smart switch that uses the Cync App and Alexa. It does not require a neutral wire. That said, SmartThings doesn’t see it.

My point is that you can have automation and use it as a regular on/off switch.

Interesting, thanks. Looks like it works similarly to an in line dimmer, doesn’t need a hub to speak WiFi, and requires a 15 Watt load at the bulb. Installation guide linked from