Wyze Sprinkler Controller - Smart weather-based watering with 8 control zones

I don’t see why you couldn’t use an orbit universal controller enclosure. Available through Amazon, HD, or lowes

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VYGMF2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_QGNSZ4KHJYXTMNP6DJHA

2 Likes

I hadn’t realized it was just for inside. I received mine yesterday and the instructions say it’s intended for indoor use only, and “Not to be mounted in exterior locations.” With the power supply (huge) not fitting under my existing 120v outlet cover, I’d have to buy a new outlet with cover, install that, and then buy an enclosure for the Wyze. Then there’s the question of that WiFi signal being affected by sitting the unit inside an enclosure. And if something goes wrong, it wouldn’t have truly been mounted indoors,

Unfortunately, not ready for prime time. I’m sending it back. For $30 more, you can get an Orbit Wifi controller on Amazon, designed for outdoor or indoor use, that will take all of 30 minutes to install. I know, because I mounted one for my neighbor. It works great.

3 Likes

Which model Orbit do you recommend for outdoor use?

1. Wireless:

Orbit 57946 B-hyve Smart Indoor/Outdoor 6-Station WiFi Sprinkler System Controller2. Standard:

Orbit 6-Station Indoor/Outdoor Irrigation Timer, Item #309595 Model #27896

2 Likes

I just saw that Wyze has a sprinkler controller but would need some major enhancements to use it.

In this county, the sprinkler controllers are outside and need to be weatherproof.

Since they are outside, they are hard wired into a ground fault protected circuit.

I know that Wyze is claiming 20 minute installation but that would be far from true around here.

Moving the box indoors and extending the zone wiring would be a major project for most homeowners and a licensed contractor might not even take on the job since it likely doesn’t meet building code.

I’ve replaced zone timers several times in this house over 30 years and currently have a hardwired, wifi controller but would switch to Wyze if it becomes available. Would be nice to have it on the Wyze app instead of the standalone app I currently use.

2 Likes

Is there any update on when the next batch will be available? I had planned on pre-ordering, but dawdled too long

1 Like

Not sure, but the reality is, mine is sitting in the box since it is quite cold and I’m not installing it until things defrost.

1 Like

Does anyone know how Sprinkler Plus works with a rain sensor installed?

For example, what happens when there is contradictory information received between the physical rain sensor and the Internet-based info from Sprinkler Plus (Smart Schedule, Smart Skip etc.)?

Can the rain sensor status ever be overridden/bypassed under any circumstance?

I’m counting on the physical rain sensor being king.
What really matters to me is - if it is raining, sprinklers better not go on.

I have a Toro rain sensor installed but the feedback/info from the controller is lackluster at best.

In the app you specify which (generic) type of sensor you connected to the corresponding terminal. There is no manfuc or model specificity, just rain or soil sensor. From that point on there is no further feedback or indication whether its working and/or active in any terms. Hopefully a future firmware version will allow better feedback into activity or status.

I have listed some points that I feel need to be addressed for reference → Sprinkler Feature/Support Request

I agree 100%. We need to have feedback about the rain sensor. Activity, status and rain measurement would be nice. Right now we don’t even know if its doing anything or not. Hoping for a firmware update soon.

Feedback that the rain sensor is active would be nice/expected.
Like with multiple new products from Wyze, we are early adopters.
That means we get to deal with the early shortcomings of the products.
I do expect firmware updates will bring these “expected” fixes…just don’t know how long that will take.

I wish I would have read this before buying mine. Didn’t realize it was indoor mounting only. Honestly don’t remember seeing that anywhere on the website.

Same here. I looked through the advertising and didn’t see it. Should have been a checkmark in the comparison checkbox for “basic” controllers. Guess this was designed more for areas with colder climates, where an indoor install is necessary. Sad to send it back from Az. Ugh!

1 Like

We’re working on the outdoor enclosure :slight_smile: Please respond to this poll if you can.

2 Likes

3/4”

About to order the sprinkler controller, and just received my video doorbell. Was curious about the ability of either to run on 24v DC as all of my other equipment is DC, but these are both listed as 24v AC input.

| Rapidrelics
March 21 |

• | - |

About to order the sprinkler controller, and just received my video doorbell. Was curious about the ability of either to run on 24v DC as all of my other equipment is DC, but these are both listed as 24v AC input.

Is there an estimated time frame for the outdoor enclosure. I’m thinking I should return my sprinkler controller until the enclosure is released.

Most likely, end of May.