Wyze Sense and Wyze Plug for Motion Activated LED Strip Stair Lights

Very well done Stenney42 good to see so you don’t stub a toe but not to much you wake up.

1 Like

Loving this idea but do you necessarily need a Wyze plug to make this work?

I’ve got a Wyze sensor and an iClever plug. I understand that I would need a second sensor for the opposite end of the steps.

The Wyze app does not see the iClever plug but what if Alexa, Home or IFTTT can see both?

Yes, it should be possible. Using a third-party platform like Alexa or IFTTT may introduce some latency compared to keeping everything in the Wyze ecosystem, and there are more potential failure points, (If there’s an outage at IFTTT or Alexa, for example) but it should work.

@andrewblalock (Profile - andrewblalock - Wyze Forum)

Hello,

I got the LED Strip Lights and want to have stairs lighted with soft white light like you did

Specs say it remembers the last setting you used.
This is true when you turn the lights On/Off using the remote that comes with it.

I connected a Wyze plug, with the LED PS Plugged into it.

However when turned on the LED lights revert to a Red, Green, Blue alternating flash pattern.
and you have to use the remote to turn it back to a white light.

How did you get yours to stay white all the time using the Sense plug ?

Thanks

Chas

I guess it would depend on the LED controller. Mine remembers the last setting when it’s powered on and off, but I guess I got lucky, because I hadn’t really thought about the possibility that some of them might not.

I use mine behind a TV. From my experience, if I wanted a soft white light, I’d probably buy a non-RGB strip, or I’d at least want to make sure I can see what the light output looks like in person beforehand, because the one behind my TV makes an unnatural yellow glow when I choose the “soft white” setting. I’m not sure if “soft white” is hard to recreate with RGB, or if my controller just has a really crappy setting for it, but I always keep it on cool white, which looks better when the TV is on anyway.

@nerdland

I thought I clicked on the amazon link in andrewblalock’s post where he showed what lights he purchased, and I purchased the same (although on eBay since they were cheaper). I agree, I like soft white setting and it looks great in the lights I have… if only they would stay this way when the power is removed

Chas

Will the motion sensor on the top and bottom of the stairs trigger the lights is some one is just walking by and not going up/down the stairs? Is there a way to have the motion sensor have a narrow “beam” that will trigger if it’s crossed kinda like the sensor in garage door openers.

1 Like