Wyze product updates - 02-17-2020

Thank you for the updates @WyzeDongsheng, I’ve been looking forward to hearing the latest on all of the exciting new products!
I have one quick question for the Wyze Scale: when you say it’ll be ready for purchase in March, is that the full launch, or the early access? I can’t wait to get one, hopefully sooner than later!

1 Like

I’d recommend having an electrission take a look at the doorbell working.

2 Likes

Thanks God you are working on a Wyze Doorbell Cam. I installed more than 8 doorbell in last 2 months, trying to find one that doesn’t have a major issue!

I’m now an expert of doorbell cam, if you want to know anything wrong with yours before your release, send me one!

If you want to see how good the software can be, look at the Eufy doorbell, it still didn’t work well enough, got disconnected sometime for one full day, not smart enough to reset/reconnect faster.

4 Likes

The Eufy works amazing for me (wired doorbell) I doubt the Wyze can beat the quality of Eufy - I have both Wyze and Eufy.

2 Likes

I think it is common to have base stations for these battery powered devices because the default Wifi signal/protocol is too power hungry and would quickly drain the battery of the remote device.

3 Likes

I agree with you @wesochuck. I still have two battery powered Blink gen2 cameras with the 1.5"x1.5"x.5" base station. The cameras are connected to the base station via a proprietary signal and have a WIFI connection to router as well when it is time to brodcast a signal to the app. 2 year battery life is a starch. More like 6 month on an active driveway. I expect Wyze battery powered Wyze External camera about the same. I did two rounds of Beta for Blink for home cameras and that is my conclusion.

1 Like

Hay @UserCustomerGwen,

Do you know if the Wyze Thermostat is going to have remote temperature sensor like Ecobee? My Honeywell is too dumb for a WIFI thermostat as it can’t tell if my Master Bedroom and my kids room is on a different floor of my house.

If the Wyze Thermostat could have motion activated sensors with temperature, it would have a permanent home in my house!

3 Likes

i have the ecobee smart thermostat, and its the best purchase i’ve made :slight_smile: - the senors are a killer feature.

4 Likes

makes sense, so i guess wyze will have a similiar setup - so ill probably switch to eufy cam 2 with 2 basestations to cover the whole house.

2 Likes

Wow, thank you for this awesome update. I have to say you guys are really kicking butt (don’t wanna curse and get banned lol) and it’s amazing to see how quickly you guys have turned Wyze into a tech powerhouse from a startup.

The crappy part is that my 2 favorite things, the outdoor camera and the person detection are still some time away from getting released but I can’t complain.

The only question I have is whether the person detection that you guys will be releasing will be better than the one from xnor.ai? I would get so many false people detections (usually pets).

3 Likes

No need to flash anything to load Google PLay store to run on my HD 10" tablet, just load 4 apk files. It’s a piece of cake takes about 10 min to do it. Now the zillions of apps in the Google store are available.

https://www.google.com/search?q=load+google+play+store+on+fire+tablet&oq=loading+google+paly+store+to+fi&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l5.18273j1j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

3 Likes

You can , I installed Google Play store and the wyze app on 2 Amazon fire tablets

4 Likes

Just take a regular camera place on your front door and provide some covering for the weather and when somebody comes to your door you will get a notification plus a video clip all for $20. I have been using it like this for over 2 years in Florida weather under a roof eave.

4 Likes

Question. Is that one of the webcams that got hacked? If you get a non name brand, you may be in for problems. Checkout the CNBC report on a website which has hacked Livestream from unsuspecting people.

Have not seen Wyze camera there. 2 factor authentication rules.

2 Likes

Thanks for your patience, everyone!

I’m about to do a fairly lengthy response where I try to field anything that didn’t seem otherwise covered. :slight_smile:

@jls4wheeler, thanks for your support! I’ll answer the questions I can answer but some of them aren’t being talked about publicly yet. We keep cards fairly close to the chest until we’re about to launch products. :slight_smile:

1. Will the Outdoor Cam have person detection?

It will! Though if the outdoor camera launches first, it won’t have person detection right at the beginning. :slight_smile:

1. If you choose to plug in the Outdoor Cam can it record to a Micro SD card?

Yes, you can use microSD cards with the outdoor cameras.

1. Will their be a Micro SD card slot in the Hub for the Outdoor Cameras to record to?

Not answering this yet.

1. Will Wyze Cam v2s be able to connect to the Outdoor Cam’s Hub?

Not answering this yet.

1. Now that I know the Video Doorbell will be wired… Are you guys working on a Battery Powered Video Doorbell or planning on working on one in the future?

This is something we are currently looking into.

1. What is the picture resolution on the Video Doorbell cam?

Not answering this yet.

1. What is the picture resolution on the Outdoor Cam?

Not answering this yet.

The smart band has a screen. It wouldn’t be great for streaming video but you can use Shortcuts and Alexa for doing tasks like turning on or off your light bulbs. Additionally, it has some activity metric stuff and will tell you the date and weather. I personally think it’s pretty snazzy.

@Kev42786, we’re happy that you’re interested in the products! We aren’t going to show photos of them yet. That tends to happen closer to launch (like with providing specs and features).

@SeriouslyNotADragon, Frederik already covered the issues with the smart band. But for the doorbell, we are looking into a wireless one! It just won’t be a hybrid with the wired version.

@handycomputerman, have you checked out this page? :wink:

Become a Beta Tester

@njones88, I’m interested in learning more about the Heart Rate Variability metric! I’m not sure if that’s something we can/would add but it sounds cool. :slight_smile:

@L4nyc, we’re making progress on the thermostat but don’t have public timelines yet. I don’t know if it will have a remote temperature sensor but that would be sweet!

@raffiearabian, I’m not sure when the work will be completed but we are making progress on the changes that could lead to viewing Wyze Cams through the Google Home app instead of only on Google Assistant enabled devices like Chromecasts.

@alatony, we are looking into security systems but aren’t making promises or giving details yet.

@Psinergy, we do have an RTSP version but it would need flashed. RTSP is a bit too large to fit on the cameras with all of the other features and that’s why it was made a separate firmware branch. We’re staying open to opportunities for that in the future, though. :slight_smile:

@Shannondm1, we would need to have a separate FireOS version of the Wyze app to have it natively on Fire tablets and we aren’t going that direction at this point. But we are working on our version of person detection and will have it ready for you as soon as we can.

@duncancheg, the scale launch in March would be for EA and not the full launch.

@ThaDentist, sorry for the disappointment with the delays for the outdoor camera and person detection! We ARE aiming for our version of person detection to be improved from the XNOR version. We look forward to hearing your thoughts on it later. :slight_smile:

WHEW! Thanks, everyone! :smiley:

16 Likes

Thank you so much for answering as many questions as you could!!

1 Like

I’d also love to see the hard drive dock/network recording come back on the roadmap. I’ve got a number of cameras and a large NAS on my network, it would definitely make my life easier.

5 Likes

Great reply, thank you very much @UserCustomerGwen! This great customer support is one of the many reasons I love Wyze and recommend it to everyone I know.

3 Likes

I also have done it on two tablets… Then on the third tablet it made it so Netflix would not work with it also voiding my warranty… Point is I should not have to do that to have it work with The most popular tablet and almost sister product…I get that it is a band with thing that I know nothing of…

Since the wait for the outdoor cam has gone on this long, it should not be released until person detection is ready.

1 Like