WYZE Plugs and Ubiquiti Unifi issues

i have never had auto optimize on. and people here have sent me sets of settings. nothing worked in the long run. i gave up. dont careā€¦they work fine on the LITEā€¦all that matters

OK - its usually something like a PMF setting that needs to be Disabled or high performance. Glad you have it working.

-cheers!

So I think there is something more to this still. I have had 10Ā± wyse plugs on the same APā€™s for at least a year now and just a few months ago something changed to make the plugs report ā€œHigh Latencyā€ and then disconnect. I also think sometimes it is the Wyze firmware as they do go offline and need to be deleted and re-added to the app. this works for 24Ā± hours then they go offline again. I have been running beta firmware on my UDMP etc and have gone back to the released software to test with not much improvement. one thing that keeps me thinking itā€™s an Unifi thing is that if I break out an OLD Linksys and set it the same the plugs stay connected and working fineā€¦ any further thoughts? and data needed?

If UniFi AP - suggest you may have auto update on as some of the firmware doesnā€™t work well with IoT devices. It wouldnā€™t necessarily be the software on the UDM, but rather on the APs.

I have no issues with my Wyze plugs or cameras using nanoHD v5.60.23 and UAP-AC-Lite v5.43.56 APs. However I have no wifi6 APs.

I use these settings -
OFF - Any Band steering (including balanced), High Performance (in controller 6.2+ now only in New User under WiFi then SSID then Advanced), Fast Roaming, PMF, Auto Optimize, Radio AI, ATF, RSSI and (on switch) DHCP Snooping.
On - UAPSD, Multicast Enhancement (IGMPv3), allow BSS, all SSID combined i.e. WIFI bands Both and (on switch) IGMP Snooping.
Rates - Push 802 rates on 2G to 6 Mbps and disable the CCK rates and also set 5G rate to 12 Mbps and check the boxes for both bands requiring clients to use (as a min) these higher rates.
Power (Custom) ==> 2G set to 10 dBm and 5G set to 17 dBm for same cell size and good roaming and less retries/latency. (This setting is for when you have multi APs, not just one AP. If you only have one AP, where there is no roaming between APs then for more coverage area - power can be higher - like 2G 5 dBm and 5G 20 dBm.)
DTIM - Set to 3 for 5G and to 1 for 2G SSIDs

Ill nuke my IOT ssid and try again

Soooooo. Interesting things. I removed my IOT SSID and re-added it. same issue of the failing plugs. took the big plunge and hard factory reset ALL my unifi gear including the UDM Pro and set up from scratch. the plugs WORK now. Go figure. all released unifi code. must have been a gremlin or zinc wiskers

Actually, there is a known issue with the current release of firmware for the 2021 plugs. Clearly this thread was created well before this release came out, but figured I would drop this here as an FYI:

Wyze Plug (2021 Version) Firmware (With Key Design)

1.2.0.176 (January 19, 2022)

• Added Bluetooth firmware logs if the plug has trouble with setup

Note: This firmware is being halted due to an identified issue that causes the plug to go offline often. We have identified the root cause and are working on a firmware release that will fix the problem.

1 Like

ahh. I just came back to update people that the problem came back. it takes more time but they still drop. Thanks for the confirmation.

1 Like

I have a UDM, qty 2, AC Pro meshed, a US48 and a US8.

I have about 38 various unifi devices. Including thermostats, sprinkler controller, lots of switches, plugs, br30 color bulbs and regular color bulbs, and a light strip.

I have nothing but trouble with wyze devices falling off my network. Mainly the plugs and switches. I am an IT professional and I have tried every trick including but not limited to turning on and off various features, creating a vlan, using a unique said and every combination and more. Nothing would keep the wyze devices from going offline and flashing there stupid little light. Weird thing also is they always show online on my Unifi system when they blink and show offline in the Wyze App.

Finally after a couple years of this crap I pulled out an old Netgear night hawk router. Set it up as a DHCP, Access Point mode, with the simplest 2ghz only WiFi. I setup a port on my UDM as itā€™s own vlan and plugged it into my a port on my UDM.

I had to go and reset every Wyze device and join to the new network which was a pain. But when I figured out donā€™t delete the old device, copy the name exactly, factory reset the device with a various version of old the button or turn on and off 8 times. Then add a new device and join to the network and paste in the same name. Only two that needed setup again was the thermostats.

We have a winner. All Unifi devices have solidly stayed online even with minimum WiFi signal. All I can conclude is Wyze cannot join a multi AP Unifi network. It will roam to what ever ap it sees and not always complete the connection to Wyze. But this works. I can retain all the benefits of Unifi for my network. Wyze is essentially on its own(nat a bad thing). But everything is solidly online.

Great that you found a solution!
Interesting post - as I have 5 UniFi APs and several Wyse switches and several Wyze cameras (even some of the first ones) and have never had an issue. 2G & 5G have same SSIDs and I have 3 different SSIDs Trusted/IoT/Guests. I have over 60 IoT devices of various brands - no issues with any.
A difference - I run the EdgeRouter and not a UniFi router.
Disclaimer and probably another major difference - I still run older AP firmware as I find it stable. UAP two nanoHD, two AC-M and one AC-Lite.
With the Netgear as a router & DHCP, you might try adding 5G to it with same SSID and see if you have an issue.
If not then maybe the later AP firmware on the UniFi has some options some activate that Wyze (and other IoT devices) may not like. For example force to 5G (this causes a lot of IoT issues) or any RSSI kick settings.
Cheers!

To clarify a couple things. The Netgear is operating in AP. So itā€™s not a router essentially. Itā€™s a DHCP client not a server as opposed to static IP. So my Wyze Net is on its own small channel WiFi and VLAN. Iā€™ve been installing and servicing Unifi networks for about 10 years or so. I do miss my edge router sometimes. Some things were, many things where way more stable. I am running my network in a very similar way but on the latest UDM firmware. And I also have 60+ IOT devices from a dozen or so various manufacturers. Over time in my experience only a few have been troublesome. Specifically, wyze, Sonos and Cox IPTV devices. Although Sonos I solved a long time ago after banging my head for a while. I have tried with the 5ghz turned on on the Netgear and no issues. Also thing to note I donā€™t remember having issues with Wyze till I got up around and over a dozen Wyze switches.