Wyze Plug 2021 firmware update fails

I turned off cellular data. Left on Bluetooth and WIFI. Then it worked on iphone 11.

Thanks JKarnes!!! Your advice worked for me as well on my 2 pack of failing wyze plug firmware updates. Off and running.

Thanks jkarnes, I was able to get my plugs updated with this method as well. Such a pain for $10 plugs, but things are working now. Appreciate the insight.

The thing that worked best for me was ensuring that my WiFi was broadcasting at 2.4Ghz and not 5Ghz. My router had a setting for determining the best frequency, but overriding that and explicitly setting 2.4Ghz for the plugs worked.

I purchased two Wyze plugs during Black Friday sales - I received them yesterday and with no luck getting them to update to their current firmware. I don’t understand how and why they are still selling this product defective out of the box.

Same issue. I bought 14 and all took the firmware update but one. I’ve tired every idea on the list. What’s next?

Ok, so here is what I did to get my new plugs to connect/update. I use a Decco Mesh Wifi setup that dosen’t split up the 5ghz/2.4 into two different networks. So i had to go i to my router settings and manually disable the 5ghz during setup. I suspect this is a main cause of connectivity issues. I disabled mobile data on my phone. Next i deleted the plugs from the app. Then i plugged the plugs on and held the pairing button for about 30 seconds. After that, followed the regular setup instructions and they connected to the network/app. I tested i had control of them, then ran the update. Both updated successfully, although one took substantially longer than the other. I hope this helps.

2 Likes

I had a lot of trouble getting my plugs set up and updated. After reading the tips here I finally got 3 of 4 up and running. These tips helped, but wasn’t 100% match to what worked for me.

The 4th plug is (DOA) dead on arrival, No light, now power, no ‘click’ when pressing the button, and there is a high-pitched sound. I submitted a warranty replacement to see if support will send a new one.

Same issue with plugs bought Dec 2022. Three updated eventually, the fourth took a lot of hassle. I finally deleted it entirely and added it as if it were new. Finally worked, and didn’t request firmware update. I am running 2.4 and 5.0 Orbi simultaneously, but Wyze needs to fix the suggestion of using 2.4 only. Most new wifi broadcasts on both, plus 6.0.

Welcome to the Wyze User Community Forum @vee_double_u, @savagevil39, @scott.heron, @533ethan, @jojogenther, & @joe14! So many new community members! Glad to have you all aboard.

I have installed about 8 new Wyze 2021 CFH plugs recently and learned by the second one that the plugs are not liking the forced firmware update. I did get all of them online and updated on the first install without making any WiFi band adjustments by:

1. Standard install.
  2. When the Firmware Pop-up appears… DON’T DO IT! If you can’t cancel it, just wait patiently.
  3. Wait until you get a solid blue light on the plug.
  4. When you get the solid blue light, either cancel the update pop-up if you can or just close the app altogether. DO NOT UPDATE.
  5. Open the app. Look for the newly installed plug. Don’t open it or you will get the firmware pop-up again. If it isn’t there, the plug light should be blinking and a reset reinstall is required.
  6. Click the power button on and off in the app to test that there is a good install and the plug is operational. If not - reset and reinstall.
  7. If it is working, open the plug and confirm the update. BE VERY PATIENT. It takes some time.
2 Likes

Bravo! This worked for me. Thank you.

1 Like

@spamoni

I purchased new 2021 plugs from Home Depot in Dec 2022. They had the old firmware, and I was continuously being asked to upgrade the firmware to 1.2.0.206. I followed your instructions to clear the application cache, restart my iPhone and unplug the Wyze plug. Once everything was powered back on, the firmware update completed in about 3-4 minutes (not “quick”).

Thanks for posting.

3 Likes

Glad you were able to get it done.

:+1:

1 Like

OMG! I did exactly what you said as a very last resort… AND IT FRIGGIN WORKED! I have been sitting on these almost a year. Unreal. Can’t thank you enough! Woohoo

Wow, this worked exactly as you stated. I guess the update is just picky, but I got it updated in less than a minute after struggling for a week. Thanks for the post!!

2 Likes

Welcome to the Wyze User Community Forum @Kingfishir!

Glad it worked. I think the install isn’t finalizing prior to the update starting and won’t do either when it’s trying to do both. Just really temperamental on initial install.

2 Likes

This fix worked for me on plugs that I tried to update firmware during setup and failed. On subsequent setups for additional plugs canceling the update during setup and doing it afterwards from the firmware update page in the app has worked each time.

1 Like

I had the same firmware struggles detailed in other notes. I changed from my iPhone to my iPad and was able to set up all 4 plugs quickly. I was able to update the firmware with only one or two tries. When I hit schedule, I got the firmware update message on a couple plugs. I unplugged them and plugged them in again. When the light was solid blue, all was good to go. My 4 plugs all work great now.

1 Like

Okay so I just bought a ton of these. Not sure if this has been listed yet but here Skip adding to group and sharing. Do the bare minimum setup. Then do the updates. I tried multiple devices multiple resets it always failed on the first one is a group. So now I run the update and do my groups later

1 Like