Wyze Pan CAM constantly rebooting

I just noticed this reply. - Yes, thanks! - I understand your point about the larger power supply being a risk.

As I stated, given the state of my camera being fairly useless already due to constant reboots, I was aware of, and willing to risk the camera if it burned up. I was ready to watch it go poof and prepared to go buy another (different brand) camera if it did. This was last resort for me.

So - you give good advice to anyone else considering this. - If you do try to go with a bigger power supply the risk is on you. Results can and will vary and you might not be as ‘lucky’ as I was.

To this date (Dec/2019) my camera is still operating fine. No reboots and no issues. All the magic smoke is still contained within the camera. If I wake up tomorrow and it is dead, I’ll take the blame and move on to something else.

You won’t ‘overpower’ the camera by using a power supply with more current available. That’s not how electricity works. All properly functioning power supplies for this camera will supply 5V. The amount of current the camera draws is up to the camera. If the camera attempts to draw more current than the power supply can provide, the voltage will sag, and the camera will probably crash/reboot. As long as the power supply is rated to deliver as much as the camera will draw under maximum load, OR MORE, there will not be a problem. In other words, if the camera requires 5V at 2.1A, you may connect a 5V 3A or 4A power supply without risking any damage. The extra capacity will just go unused.

Regarding the rebooting problem, I have two pan-cams in an east-facing window, and one or both of them often reboots numerous times in the morning when the sun is very bright and the camera is facing it. I suspected he extreme amount of light coming in to be related to the rebooting, and this was further supported by the observation that during a week-long interval of overcast skies, there were no rebooting occurrences. Once the strong sunlight returned, the reboots returned.

The rebooting happens whether there is a micro-sd card present or not. The problem has happened with and without a hub attached. The camera is always set to record when motion is detected. Crash/reboots happen with the free cloud 10 sec recordings and the paid record-whole-event recordings.

Perhaps the strong sunlight on the water (cameras look out over a bay) causes and excessive amount of motion to trigger the camera to record.

After a period of 30 minutes of near-constant rebooting, I moved the camera out of the window, facing an indoor area with little/no motion. The rebooting stopped.

Firmware version 4.10.5.34

Does the camera write any crash logs when micro-sd card is present? Maybe some details to confirm cause?

Just an update here regarding my success with the 2.1 amp power supply. Been rock solid for almost a year now with no issues, however after the last firmware update recently it has gone back to the reboot behavior.

Could just be the camera getting older but the timing of it restarting the constant reboots with the application of newest firmware is suspicious.

Already planning a replacement for it but it will not be a Wyze. These are ok “toys” but too unreliable for places you want reliable consistent coverage.