Wyze Mesh Router Pro - Coming Soon

Yes. It supports having a guest network with a different SSID and password in addition to the main SSID :+1:

5 Likes

I love the WYZE products and like many others I have many of them, but when if ever will WYZE start to provide 5/6g support as is used in mesh based systems?

Having said the above, as much as I would love to support this new WYZE mesh product I cannot justify a reason to upgrade to a WYZE mesh product when their own products do not support the capabilities inherent in a mesh system…

I mean sure, my other devices that can work over 5g or later would benefit, but it would more compelling if the WYZE products themselves also supported their own implementation of a mesh network.

As many have found out from WYZE support, you cannot reliably run a 2.4 and 5g Wi-Fi network with WYZE Cams which is why support will tell you we have to dumb down our routers to 2.4 ghz.

Just saying…

1 Like

Welcome to the Wyze User Community Forum @silvatr! :raising_hand_man:

I have been running a mixed band, single SSID, network since long before I added my first Wyze device to that old router ages ago. That was two router upgrades, one being a Mesh, in the past. I have never had any issue installing devices to or connecting to devices on the 2.4GHz network while my phone is on the 5GHz network.

Also, while some devices can probably benefit from 5GHz or perhaps even 6GHz, there are two specific limitations to these bands that would not be beneficial to Wyze Cams.

1. $ Cost $. If you want a Dual-Band or Tri-Band WiFi chip in your cam, prepare to pay for it. It can’t be done at the current price. Perhaps a single band on the higher frequencies, but then you limit the cam’s capabilities.

2. Reliability. 5GHz and 6GHz are much more susceptible to data loss at distance and thru obstacles. Unless you plan to have all your cams in line of sight in the same room as the router, these bands are not the best choice. 2.4GHz gives the best performance and reliability over distance and thru obstacles and at the lowest cost possible.

The idea behind Wyze bringing this router to market was to develop a Mesh router that purposefully and specifically strengthened and optimized the 2.4GHz network for use with their iOT devices. It is purpose built to support their cams and devices on that band. It isn’t a gaming router, it isn’t an enterprise router, it isn’t a media streaming router. It is an iOT router for iOT devices that will also support those other higher band functions and newly developed devices on the other two bands.

5 Likes

I’ve spoken to customer support and they said that they are supposedly working on just selling 1. I don’t understand if your house is is more the 1500 sqft and just under 2000 sqft why would you want to buy 2 pack. I think it’s frustrating especially when they were advertising 1 and 2 packages. I’ve been waiting for this for a while as well.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing the update. I still can’t believe they don’t have an option for buying one at launch. If Wyze doesn’t allow us to by singular units soon, surely there will a market on eBay with people buying bundles and reselling as individual units.

2 Likes

I know it will not support this out of the box, but we are working on it.

I have not heard anything about us doing something like this, might be good to add to the Wishlist.

4 Likes

There was a limited inventory of 1-packs, we will be selling them in the future.

3 Likes

Multipacks=higher profit. I’ll believe Wyze is selling singles when I see it, just like the HMS hub as a standalone product.

1 Like

How much stuff is reported to places outside your home when you use the router or the app to control it?

Paradoxically, I am also wondering whether it it Alexa/Google/HomeKit/HomeBridge compatible?

I’m having a hard time seeing how this move creates higher profits because it ignores the demographic that only wants a single unit. I mean, why not just have all the single units ready to go and offer discounts when you buy 2 or 3 together? It appears to be more like a business logistics mistake to me.

2 Likes

The only issues I am aware of with Wyze Cams on a combined 2.4 and 5g network is during setup. Once setup is complete, there does not seem to be an issue. The Wyze routers have the ability to temporarily turn off the 5G radio to allow 2.4g devices to see only a 2.4g network during setup. This seems to address this issue.

4 Likes

Yes, and that glitch doesn’t happen on all routers. It never has been a problem on the routers I’ve used. But if you are having trouble I can see support running you through that procedure.

I am using a Wyze router now, and I do not see that issue on this router either. But yes, it is only a device setup problem when you see it, and not an ongoing problem. Once you are connected there is no further issue.

3 Likes

I know I wasn’t selected for the hardware beta(apparently no other tech saavy folks were included either), but a laughable two hardwired ports and a huge pricetag (very unlike Wyze “fair” prices) this is a major fail for me. Cloud based security, so when your ISP is down, you’re vulnerable to wifi attacks
The “PRO” could have been the device to have these essential features, now it’s just ANOTHER mesh system, many of which are more affordable.
Wyze revolutionized security cameras in a big way, with this router there’s nothing revolutionary here.
I’ll wait for V2 after real users report in

And should probably add here, as it is often a misconception of the reasons the need to disable 5 GHz:

This (‘temporarily disable the 5G band if needed to set up a 2.4G device’) is a ‘feature’ not needed for Wyze (or any other device that only supports 2.4 GHz) but for the iPhone as there is no way for you to know what ‘band’ the iPhone is camping on during setup of an IoT device. iPhone and most other modern terminals will steer towards using 5 GHz (or 6 GHz when available), and hence will never be able to transfer correct setup information over to the IoT device.

But for a device that only supports, like Wyze, 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz or 6 GHz just do not exist. The IoT device has no way of ‘seeing’ it.

I am curious to learn the technical reasons why some users on a multi-band single SSID network have to force their phone down to the 2.4 GHz Network to install Wyze IoT. My last 3 routers from 3 different brands have all been dual-band or tri-band with my phone on 5GHz and have never had any issue with clean setup. This is also the case for my other band limited ecosystems.

1 Like

Technical reasons abound. A lot depends, surprisingly, on what you do not think of.

Given - most IoT devices are 2.4 only. Reason - cost. Chipsets that do 5 (or now 6 GHz) with ancillary support (antennas, etc) cost a lot more and consume more power.

Given - most modern multi band wireless access points (thus includes routers - just using AP as the functional term here) will steer devices toward the faster bands if supported and having good radio connection.

Given - most modern phones will steer themselves toward the faster bands as well. Obvious reasons for both steering decisions - max performance.

Two main reasons device setup fails are due to both the device design and where you do the setup.

Older devices will fail to work on single SSID multi band networks due to the chipset/firmware not being able to understand the single SSID concept. I have a bunch of older devices, in particular older speakers, that are out of support from their vendors that fall into this category. Single SSID multi band WiFi wasn’t a thing when they were purchased. These just never connect anymore.

The best devices today use Bluetooth LE for discovery and initial configuration transfer. They should pretty much work anywhere for setup of WiFi details. They also have modern chipsets to handle the multi and WiFi steering protocols and ignore the bands they can’t ever use.

Without something like BLE, how can you get your new device on your wireless network? Have to get the SSID and password to it somehow. Wyze Cams (3) use the QR code during setup to transfer the info. I have had difficulty with Wyze cam 2’s on the earlier firmware versions where I had to disable 5ghz to get started. Current firmware handles the setup just fine.

Then there are other devices that will simply “broadcast” on the 2.4 band assuming the controlling device will hear it and respond. WiFi protocols support thus concept. Unfortunately if the controlling device “phone” is not using the same band at the moment, it won’t “hear” the broadcast.

The solution here is almost always location. 2.4ghz signals penetrate much better than 5ghz (or 6ghz for that matter). When I have a device I can’t set up in my usual location - for instance same room as my access point or pretty much anywhere inside my house (mesh coverage) - I move to a distant location like my back yard or my car where my phone will steer back to the 2.4ghz band due to obstructions in the signal path to an access point. Setup the device there then move to final desired location.

1 Like

Throwing in my un-asked-for $.02 on the new pro routers.

Would not recommend purchasing in any quantity. Primary reason - planned obsolescence built in.

The setup video says it all. You cannot mesh the WiFi 6 devices with the WiFi 6 Pro devices. Total fail here, whatever the technical reasons.

Due to standards shift and production lifecycles the most important feature is ability to adapt. I don’t want to replace my total network gear so I can get my newest device to use the newest standard. WiFi 6 or 6E do not overly benefit my older 2.4 devices of which I have a ton and my existing network gear handles just fine. If I had a Wyze 6 mesh and I just needed a new 6E capsule access point in one location, I’d just want to add that one access point to my mesh. Assumption here is that all mesh nodes are connected to a central hardwired switch - WiFi backhaul is a dead end idea like freeways in a big city - you can never build enough lanes to accommodate demand.

So when WiFi7 comes around should customers already be planning to buy all new hardware yet again? Experience so far teaches that the answer is yes.

The fuss over 1/2/3 packs is a silly distraction Wyze created themselves with bad packaging decisions. All of them should have been “1-packs” and a “2-pack” should mean you just send two boxes at a lower total price. That decision retains maximum customer demand flexibility. Packaging explicit two packs and then adding in a single for a three pack highlights this directly. No doubt the packaging decisions made it convenient for the fulfillment companies Wyze uses, but at the cost of customer convenience and sales flexibility.

The comment before on cloud based security is a red herring. If someone can locally break into your WIFI network they can whether your ISP is up if not. It’s a radio signal after all. If that is your big concern about using Wyze, you probably shouldn’t be using WiFi at all in any capacity.

The comments on lack of LAN ports is another red herring. If you really need hardwired ports go get a cheap 8 port switch. The point of these devices is not to be the core if your local hardwired gaming network (or similar) but to deliver WiFi 6E. The price point per unit is pretty good for 6E. I recently paid the equivalent of a 2-pack for just a Wifi6 router but it came with the capabilities I needed (like working with my existing mesh as opposed to replacing all the access points. I just shift my older APs to more distant locations - don’t need massive speed everywhere).

Anyway - for what it’s worth.

3 Likes

Any idea when the Wyze Mesh Router Pro is going to be available in Canada?

Normally it’s a few weeks after the US launch as long as they have sufficient stock.

It does sound like they have some limited stock at the moment since they no longer sell single router pro units. That could impact the logistics, but if I had to guess I’d say mid-late March or April. But you never know. Wyze usually doesn’t tell us in advance, they wait until they actually have it ready to sell already.

I have been using combo motem wifi routers for seval years. Would to Wyze come with a unit that combines both the motem and router.