Wyze Longevity

Is the Wyze Bulb made to withstand being on 24/7? I keep my bathroom light on constantly and never turn it off. Will this be an issue with the Wyze Bulb?

1 Like

Welcome to the forum mrwheels71. You should have no problem running your bulb 24/7. Wyze advertises a life expectancy of 20,000 hours. That’s 2.28 years of continuous use. I think the only thing that will shorten that life expectancy figure is heat, such as in an enclosed or semi-enclosed fixture. I have some bulbs on schedules outside that are not in enclosures and some that are. Same for indoors. I don’t expect to get 2 years out of my fully enclosed bulbs that are outside. The combination of summer heat with enclosure will probably reduce expectancy in half. We’ll see, but regardless, at $7.50-$8 per bulb, I’ll be happy with even one year of life.

1 Like

As @Seapup said you should have no problem.
Just curious as to why you would use a Wifi bulb in a place where it is always on? Seems like a waste. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Shh, it’s mood lighting. TMI. :slight_smile:

I don’t know what the OP’s reasoning is, but I have several uses for 24/7 lighting. I use one 24/7 bulb to as an economical way to simulate filtered lighting for my indoor orchid seedlings. Another is running 24/7 in a dark basement area where my daughter’s cat’s litterbox is located. Outside, I have one running 24/7 in an enclosed fixture above a basement sliding door entry/exit that is located under a 3-tier deck and facing North. I have a v2 cam located inside that door facing outward and wanted IR off 24/7 so that if the worst occurred, the footage would be in color to help identify a perp. It worked as I shared that footage of someone casing my house and testing doors for alarms 2 weeks ago. The police were able to locate and identify that individual quickly by his unique apparel and the colors thereof. I’d share the footage from that and other cams, but the case is still active. He hit 2 other houses on our street also. We all have cams… my Wyze cams at face-level were the only cams in the neighborhood that provided a clear, unmistakable identity. :+1:

1 Like

But the point was why would someone need a smart bulb for any of those purposes …

2 Likes

Are Wyze bulbs pretty well sealed against the possible bathroom humidity? Generally you want moisture rated bulbs when installing LED bulbs in bathrooms or on porches, etc.

Zactly. If it’s on 24/7 it doesn’t need a switch let alone a Wifi switch. :slightly_smiling_face:

I run a pseudo-ramped color/intensity schedule for seedlings. It sure is cheaper than buying another newfangled controller like on my fishtanks. Cats see very well in near darkness, but can’t see in complete absence of light. I leave the litterbox light at 1% and turn it up to 100% for cleaning. Outside is at 3% and hits 100% on detection.

1 Like

Because it is more convenient for me. I am in a wheelchair and need to be able to see at night. So I keep it turn on dim all the time unless I’m taking a shower then I will brighten it up. Just wanted to make sure it wouldn’t overheat being turned on 24/7. I have always left my bathroom light on 24/7.

2 Likes

Wow. I never thought about leaving a light on for 24 hours in my bathroom or anywhere, I added a motion sensor light to come on when I enter so I can easily find the light switch. The only item have on always are my routers, UPS and cameras. LED bulbs are cheap to run, but to each his own. :smile:

I have one currently running at 100% in the room that I’m in (hey, I fell asleep with it on full blast). It’s been at 100% for about 16 hours and it’s just barely warm. It’s also in a partially enclosed fixture. You’ll be fine leaving it on 24/7.

Aha, thanks. Was just curious.:slightly_smiling_face:

Ditto. Both of your “use cases” make a lot of sense.