WYZE LOCK automatically unlocks randomly

I wonder… Do you have the Wyze app installed on a tablet or another phone that you leave at home?

2 Likes

Yes we have another iPhone and my wife please at home she’s has a Apple Watch and that one is turned off as well for auto unlock so it’s a separate account thanks for checking up on us

1 Like

I’m not sure what that answer means, but if you have another device running at home with the Wyze app on it, that app may suddenly take over and think you have arrived home and unlock the door.

3 Likes

He is correct.

1 Like

Only other device we have with wyze is my wife’s phone. She was home at the time but she has her own account the lock is shared to. It’s possible the wyze unlocked with her phone but it was reported in the log as being auto unlocked by my account not hers.

1 Like

My wife and I experience this same problem. If we arrive home together, after the door auto-unlocks, we enter and lock the door, it will auto-unlock after a couple of minutes. My assumption is that this auto-unlock is being done by the other phone that feels left out because it didn’t get to execute it’s auto-unlock rule yet. After 10 minutes of not opening the door, then it auto-locks. This last feature means that if we don’t notice it, the door is only ever unlocked for 10 minutes.
Still, Wyze should be able to fix this. The phones should be able to realize that the auto-unlock has already been executed and cancel it on the phone that didn’t trigger it. Perhaps if bluetooth connects to the lock within 30 seconds of an auto-unlock event, the auto-unlock could be cancelled.
I’ve never had an extra auto-unlock occur except in this scenario where we arrive home together.

1 Like

At least your Auto-Unlock works, would like to have your issue at this point. We are on our 2nd smart lock and both rarely auto unlock. Re-Calibration is also an issue. Went through 2 weeks of support suggestions until they replaced but the replacement has the same issues as the first one. All other features work great. Any suggestions are appreciated.

@hamos10136 what problems are you having with auto-unlock? And what is your environment like?

Auto-Unlock worked when first calibrated on both locks. After that it was/is about 1 out of 5 times that it works so it does work. Bluetooth, location, background are all on. Android phone Moto G6. Additionally on the 1st lock, support had me clear the lock cache, after doing that it worked the 1st 2 times then didn’t work the next 4 times. Worked on this for about 2 weeks with support, they take at least 2 days to respond. Support then sent a replacement lock, day 1-calibration & set up went perfect, all features worked & Auto-Unlock worked the first time. day 2 & since then Auto-Unlock has only worked 1 out of the last 5 times. Tried to Recalibrate but failed 3 times. This happened on the 1st lock also but I discovered if I went thru the calibration with the door open & not physically opening & closing the door but following the steps, it calibrated successfully … this also happened with the first lock (there is another thread
with others having this issue). On 2nd lock, Auto-Unlock has worked 1 out of the last 5 times as stated above after the initial set up. So it appears both locks features are operating the same, again all other features working great. I have turned BT & location on & off multiple times & cleared the BT & BT Midi cache. I do have other BT pairings I use & never had a problem. All of this has been passed on to support in even more detail. I like the lock but for me the auto-unlock is why I bote it. I keep thinking there is something I simply don’t have toggled right. Testing can sure be time consuming due to going in & out of the Geofence area. Thank you for responding.

One of the things I’ve experienced has to do with the way I enter the building and the placement of my phone. I normally carry my phone in my back pocket so my body acts as a barrier to the bluetooth signal as I approach the door. I’ve noticed that the door is usually not unlocked by the time I reach it if I leave my phone in my back pocket. However, if I take my phone out of my pocket and hold it in my hand (or just keep it in my front pocket), then the door is almost always unlocked by the time I reach it. Also, if I approach my apartment door from the adjacent stairwell, sometimes it isn’t unlocked right away. I’m presuming it takes a few seconds to notice it once it comes into range.

Thanks jjoel appreciate your comments. I try to put my phone on the open tray in the car & then phone in hand when going to the door. Now I usually have the phone on but not logged on. I’ll try logging in with my password before I hit the Geofence area & see if that makes a difference. I read that the Wyze app should not be open and just the background on, BT, & location on.

I have found the thing that works for me, and I honestly do not know if it makes a difference or is coincidental but as I am getting out of the car I just hit the power button on my phone, I do not log in or open it, just hit he button which ‘wakes’ it up. This is on an Android phone but whenever I do that it unlocks as I am walking up.

Thanks Jason21271 I will give that a try.

Does the lock need to be “paired” to BT separately? The set up doesn’t tell anything about that or is it automatically paired during the set up process. Thanks

@WyzeJasonJ, I also do the power button sometimes. I know some background tasks kick in quicker if something triggers the phone to ‘wake up’. I’m pretty sure this (at least sometimes) speeds up the bluetooth connection. I’m using an iPhone.

@hamos10136, if you open the Wyze app (which I assume is what you mean by logging in), then it cancels auto-unlock. So I only do that if auto-unlock is not working for some reason (fairly rare), then tap on the lock to unlock it.

Thanks Jason & jjoel for your help. This is what I received from Sam at Wyze support regarding the Wyze app - “Keep the Wyze app running in your phone background at all times. Do not swipe it closed or force close it. If the Wyze app is completely closed, it won’t be able to reference the login token to connect to the lock’s Bluetooth. If you keep the app’s Wyze Lock page open, it won’t accept the Auto-Unlock command”.
I initially thought all that was needed was to keep the “Background toggled ON” but this indicates that the “main Wyze app” needs to be open or at least not swiped closed BUT not on the “Wyze Lock page open”. I have tried this but the Auto-Unlock still doesn’t work for me. I have responded back to support for clarification but it takes about 3 days for a response.
Jason as your Android as I am does the lock need to be “paired” to BT separately? The set up doesn’t tell anything about that or is it automatically paired during the set up process. Thanks again.

@hamos10136 it does not need to pair the way a regular bluetooth device does where you enter the pairing code. It basically is all done in the background. The lock will never be listed in the paired devices area. One thing I will say is I am going about 8 days with the auto unlock working every time. I do NOT keep the app on the screen at all, however I keep the app running all the time. There should (on Android) be a persistent notification saying ‘geofence is running’. What I have been doing is as I arrive home I just hit the power button on my phone which ‘wakes’ it. I do not unlock the phone.

So what I would try is make sure the app is running in the background, wake up your phone and slowly walk to the door maybe stand at the door a few seconds and see if it unlocks, however do not enter the app especially the lock screen as that will cancel it.

Thanks Jason will give that a try.

Let me know how it goes.

Now that you say it…