Currently siding with @Newshound 's suggestion to put sealant around the corded area of the probe.
DISCLAIMER: Again, remember I voluntarily chose to test the probe knowing I might ruin it, so I am not recommending anyone else submerge these devices without accepting the warranty would be void.
As previously stated, I submerged a probe under water to sit just above the cat fountain pump/filter, hoping it will alert me when the water gets low. In my tests of short submersion it worked okay (leak detected, then after a couple of minutes I take it out and the leak cleared). But it needed a longer term submersion to be sure. I left it submerged for a day and a half and tonight I removed it to see if it would clear like it did with the short tests.
When I took the probe out of the kitty water fountain/filter to test if it would still clear after being submerged for a day and a half. It did not clear immediately. Soon I set it on a dry surface and it did not clear. I wiped it dry and it did not clear. I left it there to track how long it would take to clear.
The Probe took 2hrs 10 min to clear.
But it did eventually clear, at least while on a dry surface. (And the notifications and routines DID run, changing a bunch of nearby color bulbs to different colors, prompting my daughter to call out to me asking why her bedroom light suddenly went red I hadn’t told her about the rule/routine yet.)
I then moved the probe around to see if an internal pool of water would set it off again to detect a “leak” but it stayed clear.
I then touched the probe to a wet surface (the top of the filter/pump I pulled out of the kitty water and it detected a leak again. I propped one side of the probe off the surface of the pump so it hovered in the dry air, but the leak wouldn’t clear.
Then I put it back to a dry surface and this time it took 1 hour 15 minutes to clear even though it wasn’t submerged the second time. Interesting. If there is an internal water source, it needed an external wet surface to set it off, but once it detected the wet surface it wouldn’t immediately clear again. Will test further, but definitely recommending the next test for me or @R.Good be to try sealing the cord entrance area better before the next long term submersion test and see if that gives an an improvement to allow it to clear in less than 2 hours.
AGAIN to anyone following these tests, R.Good an I accepted that we may damage our probes in these experiments, that it would be 100% our fault, and they would no longer be under warranty. We just feel figuring this out (if it’s possible) will make for some really beneficial use-cases for ourselves. Plus it’s fun.
I look forward to the next phase of testing with sealant and see how that works out. Once we figure out some reliable solutions I’ll probably include a video or pictures or something. Gotta perfect it a little first…though I’m about to be out of town for a minute, so I might have a delay in testing.