Wyze Lamp Socket not recognized

I am having the same problem. Camera works fine in lamp socket inside. When hooked up to my outside socket the lamp doesn’t come on and the camera has no power. Have you found a solution for your problem?

You you have your outside socket turned on?

Yes, bulb by itself comes on with the switch. When attached to the lamp socket nothing comes on with the switch.

I’ve read other accounts of this occurring. For whatever reason, the end of the Wyze lamp socket isn’t fully seating into the socket of the housing you are using. I’ve read on a different blog threads about someone using spacers to bridge the gap and make the end fully seat, but I would be hesitant on doing this purely due to fire hazards (I don’t know of a marketed product solution for this). I’d suggest checking to see if you can make a slight modification to the housing to get the socket to screw in all the way.

Best of luck!

Did anyone get a resolution to the lamp socket not being accessible on wyze app even thought V3 camera and light bulb have power and work?

I was able to fix the issue by shutting off the switch to the lamp and using a pair of needle-nose pliers to pry up the socket tab which was almost completely flattened. Once I had raised the tab, and screwed everything back together, I turned on the switch and everything came on properly.

@jitterd24 there are a few reasons I’ve been able to track regarding this issue.

1. the Wyze lamp socket, for whatever reason, is not making contact at the base of the socket and therefore it is not receiving power. This seems to be an issue with the lack of standardization of the lighting manufactures sockets. If you are getting power to your light and camera, this likely isn’t the issue you are experiencing.

2. An after-market USB cable isn’t fitting into the socket. I had this issue and was able to shave the sides of the USB cable slightly using a razor so it would properly seat into the USB receiving end.

3. The super short cable that came with the Wyze lamp socket has additional wires in it for data sharing that the longer cord you received when you originally bought the V3 camera does not have. If you are using an after-market cable or the longer cable that was included in your V3 camera, try switching them out for the shorter cable that came with the lamp socket and see if that fixes things. If so, I have found an after-market cable that is 25’ long and works almost perfectly with the camera. Only issue I’ve had on the long cable is it’s missing something that allows me to update the socket. Not too big an issue since when an update is available I just take the socket inside and hook it up to one of my indoor cameras with the short cable, update it, and put it back outside. Luckily updates don’t occur daily!

Hopefully one of these help.

1 Like

Thank you Brendan. I think the cable is going be the issue. I was unaware that it used the wire as communication from the camera. 25’ cable will be too long, if you have some info on the cable that would be cool so I can research a shorter cable similar to the 6 foot one that came with the camera.

WYZE team;
Do you have any info on a cable that is longer and will allow communications between the lamp socket and V3 camera? The 6foot one that comes with the camera does not allow communications between the camera and the lamp socket.

@jitterd24 this is the wire I use:

You might be able to look at the seller and see if there are shorter versions. Like I mentioned in my previous post, I seem to get full functionality with that cable, minus being able to update the socket. I just remove the socket and update it using the original short cable and a standalone spare camera I have (only had to update it once in 4 months).

Was anyone able to get the wyze cam v3 to work with the lamp socket after installing the RTSP firmware?

My camera works fine and detects all three lamp sockets but after I install the rtsp firmware it just won’t detect lamp socket.

It won’t work…RTSP is an older firmware with no concept of the socket.

1 Like

I thought the rstp firmware was just an add-on.
My two wyze cam V2 still get their update even after I installed the rstp firmware
This is sad if they make us choose between having lamb sockets or local recording
I’m going to open up a ticket and see if I get an answer

RTSP is a completely separate firmware, the lamp sockets will not work with RTSP

Edit: Fixed a very misleading typo

1 Like

When did that change? Is there an update to the RTSP firmware?

That was a typo will edit

:grin:

1 Like

That’s wired if RSTP is completely separate firmware and the other feature on wyze cam are undated separately then I don’t under why it don’t work??
This is sad news.

Wyze has stated repeatedly that there may be new features and products introduced that will not be compatible with the RTSP firmware. It is a “branch” from the production firmware and was based on an earlier version and isn’t being updated regularly for new features.

1 Like

Thank you for the help. Purchased another usb cable from another vendor and it works just as advertised.