Wyze Cam v4 Ideas

You seem to be full of thoughts to shoot down others’ ideas, but have no actual ideas or solutions to add. Sad.

And yes. I have a fantastic power system and high-quality, low-price cameras. Smart people don’t spend more money than they have to. Thanks for noticing. I appreciate your admiration.

Twitter is for trolls. You might check it out.

How about a MUCH less pixelated video feed / recording than the v3? The v3 pixelation is absolutely horrendous. I thought it would be better than the v2 but it just flat out isn’t.

1 Like

On-camera PIR

It seems like a ton of motion detection problems would all go away if all future cameras used PIR like the outdoor cam does now. No more blowing leaves or headlight triggers. Maybe it would have to be for v4 and later, or maybe an add-on module could plug into the usb-a port.

I wonder why the v3 doesn’t have it, while the outdoor cam does. PIR sensors are well under $1 in quantity and would be very simple to connect if you had access to the firmware. In fact, I wonder if the firmware hooks are already there from the v1 sense modules? Maybe you could expose the hooks and let us play.

1 Like

Different sensors for different use-cases. PIR won’t trigger activity/motion from cold-blooded animals, garage doors, status lights, machinery stoppages, etc. The ultimate would be to have both types of sensors onboard with user selectable options, but that would result in higher cost, larger footprint and additional firmware/software/UI complexity.

If someone gave me the firmware hooks, I could give you PIR through the USB-A that acted just like the v1 motion detector except bypassing any bridge or batteries.

I would guess that the majority of people aren’t concerned with detecting motion from cold blooded animals, or cold blooded machines for that matter. And if they are concerned about robot intruders after the Rise of the Machines, they still have the current pixel detection on the cameras. Although the reliability of the AI would become suspect in that scenario…

1 Like

No current Wyze cam has a USB-A interface.

I have some pixel-based cams set up to detect cold-blooded animals. I also use pixel-based detection for status/warning light detection for non-smart devices and as backup to contact sensors for open/close and on/off detection. There are plenty of use-cases for non-traditional, non-security types of detection with videos posted in the Cams category.

USB-A refers to the physical receptacle on the v2. What is behind it electrically is unknown, but I would say that power and data are a good bet.

I hadn’t looked at my new v3 cameras yet, I see they removed it, unfortunately. But given the way the v3 interacts with the socket, I would say the same functionality is still there on the remaining usb micro, so my suggestion stands.

I agree there are use cases for the current method, that’s why PIR would be complimentary. BTW, just in case, are zombies warm blooded or cold blooded?

Cold-blooded, but getting warmer. :grinning:

Never mind on the whole thermal/infrared detection bit. It seems it’s not picking up people in the dark because Wyze needs us to rent out Cam Plus. Here’s a neighbor checking out the house - zero Wyze notification of their presence even though they’re in the detection zone (1st pic) and detection is at 100% (2nd pic).

Of course, a passing car with the high beams on triggers a recording. In fact, any light passing by triggers a notification so much so that my phone asks me if I want to disable Wyze notifications.

Seriously? Wyze is trying to trigger me and a mobile phone is the only thing keeping me from stomping on the cameras? [Mod Edit]

MOD NOTE: Post edited to conform to the Community Guidelines.

He looks pretty stationary - looking at his phone maybe. Was he actually in motion? If so, how long was he moving within your zone?

He walked there and walked away from there. It should have triggered a notification. I get notifications when bugs fly in and out of that zone at night. LOL

1 Like

13 posts were merged into an existing topic: Next-gen Wyze Cam (v5) Ideas

• Optical zoom (2x). My Wyze CAM is mounted at the front door and I want to be able to capture close up video of moving vehicles at street level.
  • Better sensor / capture quality and faster sampling rate. I want to be able to capture more details of moving vehicle and people. The camera should be able to identify vehnicle type and model easily (day and late)
  • Better sensor for night time video capture. I like to see less wash out picture caused by steet lights or spot light from neighbors.

What the v4 really needs is a much better mic – it needs to at least be on par with the pan Cam V2 and v1 mics.

Hopefully Wyze will fix the motion blur problem of the V3 in V4.

Improving ignored detection areas would be nice.

I would definitely appreciate dark mode to save my eye sight.

Add a PIR to the Cam V3

It would be really nice for Wyze to offer a Cam that can be hooked to power continuously (like the V3) with a PIR sensor to stop all the bug/insect triggered alerts (like the Outdoor Cam).
Seems an easy add to just put a PIR sensor in the V3. That should stop the constant events/recordings triggered by insects that many like me have issues with (my outdoor cam never gets those), has constant power so don’t have to climb up a ladder every few months to recharge the cam, can record continuously to the SD card and doesn’t need a separate hub, Surely you guys have seen all the insect/bug triggered frustrations on the V2/V3 Cams ?

2 Likes

I don’t know if you’ve tried this, but for some of us simply disabling the IR illuminator LEDs makes a HUGE difference. For me this essentially eliminated bug motion alerts that were plaguing my cameras. I get enough ambient light even for my V2s.

1 Like

I did try that a while back and it didn’t seem to make much difference so tried again last night and to your point it seems much better.

Thanks for the input !

1 Like

Good to hear. :slight_smile:

Battery Powered indoor Camera

Would love an indoor battery powered camera for places hard to get power to.