Wyze Cam v2 and Wyze Cam Pan Firmware 4.X.9.1433 Released 9/27/2022 (Slow Rollout)

Sorry for the trouble. What is the LED status of the camera after flashing to 4.9.9.1433?

1 Like

LED flashing yellow-blue means the device cannot connect to the WiFi. If the issue is still happening, could you please submit a log to help us investigate. Thank you very much.

1 Like

Success, I was able to get my Wyze Cam V2 to boot with version 4.9.4.169 (September 24, 2019).

All prior attempts with versions newer than this failed. It wasnā€™t an exhausted list of newer versions, but Iā€™m satisfied that least this version actually worked.

The failing scenario went something like this: Initiate flashing by holding the setup button down while powering up, the blue light turned on for a minute or so, then it turned a steady yellow and remained yellow after power cycle.

You realize this is a pretty major bug and regression, right?

I have a bunch of cameras offline now. I had to build a new IoT network for them. Now I have to manually reconnect each camera to the new IoT network.

Please communicate to your dev team that they should test for the case where there is no password before releasing.

Itā€™s not a bug, itā€™s intentional. The cams can only connect to a password protected network

That is a change. Mine have been on a guest network for a long time.

My two v2s stopped connecting too. They are on my IOT network (yes it has a password). I havenā€™t tried factory reset yet because thatā€™s super annoying. I guess thatā€™s probably my only option, but theyā€™ll be a pain to get down. Did a reset work for anyone else? I submitted a log number 743639

I pulled the sdcard and found some interesting results. There was also a log file, so I submitted that. One thing of interest is that it kept recording for movement even after the update. I canā€™t remember 100% if they just never came back up after updating, or if they did stick around connected for a few days. Anyway, what I found was the very last recording didnā€™t finish saving and was unplayable to normal players. VLC figured it out. So it must have crashed during that event for some reason and never fully made it to connecting again.

I factory reset one and that was a no-go, but I had a thought. The access point they connect to has a hidden BSSID. I set it to broadcast it and it connected back up (after another reset). This is a significant digression in connectivity that was overlooked. I very specifically DO NOT want to broadcast that access pointā€™s BSSID but now these cams are useless unless I set it to broadcast. Not happy about thatā€¦ Not one bit.

Once it sets up on the broadcasting SSID and gets itā€™s IP, can the AP then be reverted back to not broadcast since the cam then already has the login credentials saved and continue to operate or does the cam then fall off the network?

1 Like

Probably, but if the cam goes offline for whatever reason it probably cannot find that ssid and Connect again

So far, Iā€™ve disabled broadcast, but I did indeed set it up in my office and then tried to move it and it would not reconnect. I also tried rebooting the 2nd camera with broadcast enabled before doing a reset and that alone did not allow it to reconnect. It was necessary to factory reset it.

Iā€™ll go give a power down a tey tomorrow and see what happens. Iā€™ll try killing one and see if it comes back, then try a router reboot and see if it blows the other away.

Regardless, Iā€™m not happy about the results as they are.

EDIT: There is one other thing that could be notable. Itā€™s possible itā€™s related do WPA3. I have an old Pixel (OG i.e. Pixel 1) and it wonā€™t stay connected to even my broadcasting SSID. I should qualify, I had to specifically set it to WPA3, even though it supports 3 or it wouldnā€™t connect at all. Then even with that consession, it does stay connected, but it wonā€™t auto connect (so similar behavior as these cameras now), but instead I have to manually open up ā€œsaved wifiā€ and manually punch connect. Just using the regular UI to tap the wifi doesnā€™t connect. AND when I do so, thereā€™s a pop-up that says ā€œwifi not in rangeā€, but it does actually connect.

Sorry, that was long-winded, and may not even be relevant, but is rather specific context that maybe only I even know :person_shrugging:

Interesting. I also had issues with connection when I switched my router to WPA3, but the mesh AP did fine, it may have not inherited the settings although it is set to do so. I had to set mine back to WPA2 to get all my IoT back online. As soon as I did, everything lit back up.

I saved v2 firmware file demo_4.9.8.1002.zip before Wyze removed the link. I can upload it here:

if anyoneā€™s interested. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Same issue here! Would you be so kind as to post that 4.9.8.1002 firmware somewhere.

Itā€™s like the cameras are simply not saving the network configuration.

peepeep:

Please put it somewhere if you would be so kind.

Thx

Hey @Ctrl-G

Here ya goā€¦

https://send.tresorit.com/a#Pc23eMYiUy-Ka74fv3cfwg

"Anyone who has this link can access [the file] for 7 days or maximum 10 times. "

2 Likes

@peepeep you Rock!

Thank you so much!

1 Like

What? I can only download it 10 times? What theā€¦?

Great assist @peepeep! You do ROCK!

1 Like

So, I had something that knocked them all offline. Havenā€™t figured that one out yet. It also knocked all my Pixels offline too (Iā€™m refurbishing a dozen of them).

As far as reconnecting the v2s, I havenā€™t had to enable broadcasting to reconnect them, which is weird because they simply would not initially. Makes me wonder about the so called ā€œresetā€ā€¦ Reconnecting is far too immediate to actually wipe the device, but I digress.

One of them has been active since the above incident, which happened a few hours after my last post, so like a day or so. The other keeps losing the connection. Iā€™ve tried a couple times to connect, then move it, but it never comes back up after losing it.

While I have so many devices being refurbished, Iā€™m unwilling to enable broadcasting so as not to allow Google to index the SSID. Iā€™ll have to see if I can lower it back to WPA2. Itā€™s a single unit broadcasting 3 SSID on openwrt and I havenā€™t thought to see if I can downgrade a single broadcast protocol. Iā€™ve never had any issues connecting my IOT to it until now though.

Wyze just needs to come around and fix the blasted things.