Wyze Cam v2 and v3 - support for 802.11k and/or 802.11v?

Having some issues ensuring the cams are selecting the best nodes/jumping as needed. Does anyone know if cam v2 or v3 support 802.11k and/or 802.11v?

Thanks!

I take it you are using a mesh WiFi network - as am I. Based on what I have observed, I would speculate that the answer is no. More than once I have looked at my network management and wondered what on earth some particular camera was doing on THAT access point.

Yes, you described the exact situation. Would be great if someone from the wyze answered for us since were having the same issue. Ideally it can be added through a firmware update…

Would be nice. If you don’t mind me asking, what mesh APs are you using? I have used Open-Mesh for years, but recently transitioned to Meraki.

Nothing too fancy here - just a Linksys Velop setup. Considering migrating to Netgear Orbi or Asus ZenWifi if I can figure out whether they’d allow me to assign the cameras to specific nodes

Doesn’t appear they do. I haven’t seen them advertise the capability in packet captures or try to use it on my network which has both enabled.

Your best bet would be adjusting your WiFi radio power and data rates, which I don’t know if you can do on Velop. Turning down your 2.4ghz transmit power and increasing your slowest allowed data rate by one or two values would effectively shrink the range they could connect at and possibly eliminate or reduce the hopping around.

I’m afraid both you and @K6CCC are correct and this is not a feature in either the v2 or v3 cams. Still wonder if it’s a feature that Wyze could enable through a firmware update. @UserCustomerGwen - any chance you can raise the question up?

And @Boss, to your suggestion on radio power and data rate, unfortunately not an option for many mesh systems (including Velop)

My opinion here is that if Wyze products want to remain viable for the long term, they’ve no choice but to implements support for 802.11v.

More and more IoT devices are deployed every day, and more device manufacuterers are choosing Wifi as their connectivity protocol these days thanks to enhancements within Wifi 6 and 6e. More devices = more access points = more channel congestion, which means it’s becoming far more common for consumer residences to have multiple access points deployed.

Without 802.11v, it’s a crapshoot whether or not you’ll be able to get a decent signal at any given point when in a ‘noisy’ location. The more time goes on, the more likely these devices will become irrelevant unless support for the protocol is implemented.

Well said. Couldn’t agree more.