Wyze Cam Outdoor v2 bridge preventing 5Ghz?

My WCO2 bridge is connected to my dual band Netgear router via ethernet. Prior to installing the bridge, I had 4 possible networks: My primary network 2.4 Ghz, same at 5Ghz, Guest network at 2.4 and at 5. I used 2.4 primary most of the time and was able to switch to 5Ghz at will (MacBook Pro M1). After installing the bridge, (I set up all Wyze equipment on a guest 2.4 network) I can no longer use/ connect to the 5Ghz primary network and my network speed (after installing fiber optic) is low. On my dual network router, I should be able to run both 2.4 and 5 Ghz simultaneously. Discussed this with my IP, who said that they only see the Wyze bridge (labeled “Apple product”) and not my router. In my router’s settings, the Wyze bridge shows up as a router and is 1st in line of connected devices. ISP thinks this placement of my Wyze bridge 1st in the queue (not controllable by them or me) may be interfering with my ability to access my primary network’s 5G. Please help with this as I sometimes need the speed of 5G and may need to abandon the WCO2.

As long as you plug the cable from the back of your router into the base, it will be a client. Make sure your not plugging the cable from your MODEM to the base, it should go through the router first. The modem to router should be labeled “WAN” and the router to base should be “LAN”

Not seen or heard of this particular circumstance, but sounds a lot like you are in Travel Mode on the Base Station? What happens when the Base Station is in Travel Mode is it thinks it is a router. Don’t know if it could do over 4 devices in that mode, but worth a quick check.

If you access the Base Station from your Wyze App Home Page, then go to settings, then Travel Mode, do you see a way to turn it off? If it gives you some introductory text, then it is probably already off.

You said V2 WOC, which probably means you have a later firmware Base Station, but know that version 4.16.2.7 (June 14, 2021) disabled the DHCP server while the Base Station was not pairing or in Travel Mode. It should not be a DHCP server unless it thinks it is a router, as in when it is in Travel Mode.

Something to look at, anyway. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for responding. Yes, the cable is plugged into my router (WNDR 3400 v2 Netgear dual band). Starting to question if my router is the problem.

Thanks for your reply, Newshound. I checked Travel Mode–it is not set. Firmware version is 4.16.3.117. Still no solution to my 2.4 network range issues (smaller than prior to Wyze install --also had a fiber optic install just prior). Still unable to activate my main network’s 5ghz. Bridge still hogging 1st place in line. I’l try customer service again. They have been remarkably useless on my last few tries after having been helpful before that. Any suggestion re: how to get to a knowledgeable technician =welcome! Thanks again.

Have you tried the Netgear customer support? They would be more specialized in knowing the operation of the router itself to see what this first in line stuff is.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. My router is nearly 10 years old–no support from Netgear, which is dodgy at best.

Have you tried unplugging the Wyze hub to see if things return to normal with it off the network?

I am no expert but google researching your router it appears as if the age and spec limitations are crippling your setup. 10 years is a long time in tech years. Maybe the router is having a low power issue and is shutting down the 5ghz radio to keep the other things running? Thinking outloud using my limited expertise in this area. Here is the user manual if anyone wants to take a peek and see if they can see anything that may be of use here.

So you have a fiber connection hooked into your router? And that is what supplies WIFI to your house? Looks like the ethernet ports on the router are “100BASE-TX” which may be slower than your fiber connection depending on what your i-net speeds are. You may not be seeing your fiber speeds on your WIFI because the weakest link in the connection speed into and out of the router.

Yea you will benefit GREATLY with a new router. A mesh system is recommend. 10 years is a lot in tech years, and that equipment is very outdated and not designed to handle video streams and stuff.

Thank you for taking the time to research this. I am seriously considering a new router (which is another research project!). My fiber connection maxes out at 100mbs. I was hoping to switch to my 5Ghz band for more intensive work. That would allow me to make full use of the 100mbs. That said, I think I need to assume that other issues related to age may be contributing.

Thanks again!

2 Likes

Glad to help! :slight_smile:

There are tons of forum threads about routers and mesh systems that folks have commented on. Give the forum a search and hopefully you find things that help with your research!

1 Like

You may be running into a limitation on the number of devices your router can support. In theory, a Wi-Fi network can support 254 devices, but theory and reality are widely divergent. Older routers are not only slower, but they tend to choke on more than a dozen devices, since they weren’t designed in an era of internet of things.

Newer routers can perhaps handle 50+, but probably not anywhere close to 254. My dual-frequency mesh router with 3 access points seems to do okay with 50 devices.

Bear in mind that Wyze devices generally work only on 2.5GHz, not on 5GHz, and sometimes problems occur when you have a unified 2.5/5GHz network under the same name.

1 Like