Wyze App Version 2.6 Releasing Tonight! (11/18/19)

I take it scrubbing hasn’t been made a part of viewing SD card captures. With the new service, can I download captures to my PC so I can use VLC or similar to quickly go looking for moments of interest?

I purchased a Wyze unit and was considering adding several more for myself and also purchasing several for my family members. The 12 second cooldown is a deal breaker for me. I have 1 camera installed along with 3 repurposed cellphones. I have installed the free version of Alfred on the cell phones. That application does not have a 12 second limit nor a cooldown period. I am not sure why Wyze cannot offer that in their free version. Alfred also provides 7 days of Free cloud storage. I was a bit disappointed with my Wyze camera because of that limitation. In addition, I can also switch from my front and rear cameras on my cell phones. The video on the Wyze is better and the SD storage is nice but only giving me 12 seconds and then a 5 minute cooldown seems kind of silly. If you eliminate the 5 minute cooldown and 12 seconds limit before I decide to upgrade from cell phones to all cameras I would definitely consider more Wyze units. I would rather have an option to pay for more than 7 days of cloud if I could have the 12 seconds and 5 minute cooldown eliminated,

2 Likes

As of today, that feature has officially been added. :slight_smile: It’s $1.49/month. Details are here.

1 Like

I’ll also add, that SD recording isn’t subject to either the 12-sec limitation nor the 5-min cooldown. Mentioning this because I notice that people don’t realize this. If you go the SD recording mode, use event-only recording. Makes it easier to jump from one clip to the next. No need to search the timeline.

4 Likes

Or use two cameras with two sd cards, one on continuous record, one on event only.

Interesting you say this. I used to have another brand of pan camera. I soon realized that it’s better to have 2 fixed cameras instead of a panning model. Why? Because 1) there’s a mechanical component 2) it’s noisy and too slow for my taste 3) if I view them side by side then I can view the whole scene better.

This is why I never got a Wyze pan cam.

2 Likes

So the subscription is only available to US and Canada residents? I can;t get past the Billing Info screen since it requires a US/Canada address, I’m in Australia. And you don’t have Paypal as an option.

And you can view them in STEREO!

That is my concern as well. Too many moving parts can cause issues. Detection zones can be set differently.

Also, it made sense to get the panning model when prices were high, as the panning mechanism is relatively cheaper. But when Wyze lowered camera prices, that no longer holds.

It’s free with Alfred app…

How come under Action you can select turn on and turn off at the same time. What happens if both of them are in the rule?

SD card recording is still limited to the 5 minute cool down with regard to notifications though. So if your dog walks in front of the camera at 9:00am triggering a 12 second event you’ll get a notification and see it was your dog. Then say someone breaks in your house at 9:04am, you’ll never get notified of this event unless you’re paying for CMC.

This is incorrect, SD card recording isn’t subject to 5-min cooldown. Youhave to understand the rationale behind the cooldown; it’s to save on server resources. That doesn’t apply to local recording.

You are incorrect and didn’t quote my entire sentence. Please test my scenario and you’ll see I’m right. Yes, the footage will be recorded, but you won’t get a notification for subsequent motion during the 5 minute cool down.

Sure you don’t notification during the 5-min cooldown. That’s one of the items in the wishlist.

But understand that you do get at least one notification – that’s when the cooldown period started – then you can check your local recording.

Correct, but in the above scenario that first notification would be of a pet dog and wouldn’t cause any concern. Lack of notifications during 5 minute cool down is what really limits SD card compared to CMC.

If you knew that there is a cooldown and is limited to 12 seconds, you wouldn’t ignore a notification.

Either assume that every notification is important and go check the next 5-min recording, or wait for the wishlist item. Or subscribe to CMC. Those are your options.

I know those are the options, I was just pointing out so others who read your initial post would be aware regarding how notifications work.

So everytime you get a notification you check the timeline for the subsequent 4 minutes and 48 seconds to see if something else happened? Lol

That is ONE option. There are two others. Or, get another camera that meets your requirements. SImple.