Word of the Day

(the sound of one leaf falling)

1 Like

hidebound

1 Like

homogenous

contrarian

Now you are talking about the :poop: :poop: :poop: in Washington D.C. ALL of them. :flushed: :astonished: :hushed:

1 Like

Policies contrary to the peopleā€™s wishes?Ā  image Ā Unrepresentative govt?

Just like California- People vote for and approve measures/items during the elections then the greasy legislators and the King of California say tough :poop: weā€™re not doing that. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Words that appear rarely on the Forum

@WildBill owns one. At this moment itā€™s unique.

Its synonym is declining. :slight_smile:

1 Like

moribund :grin:

1 Like

1 Like

I had to google that word when he 1st used it. :rofl:

1 Like

@WildBill is dark. I believe the family is in the horror enhancement industry. :wink:

1 Like

Words that appear rarely on the Forum

A three word compound. 1st word has appeared about 10 times. 2nd word is unique. 3rd word has appeared about 5 times.

And the compound is unique.

@Customer or @carverofchoice should be able to get this one. :grin:

Hint

Careful, exhaustive, large volume

When you get a notification that @peepeep used your call tag in the water cooler:

:scream:

Haha, j/k

There are over 171K words in the English language, not counting scientific and other compounds (or medical, legal, etc), and not counting the other languages that have had posts on here. Iā€™m guessing the majority of them have never been used, and lots of them have been used fairly sparingly. Grammerly tells me every month that I use more unique words than 98% of users and write more than 98% of users every week, but even then, I only use a very, very small fraction of the English language. I cannot begin to guess the answer to your riddle on do few hints in such a fathomless pit of possibilities. Maybe if Discourse had better statistical word analysis plugins available to us non-mods. :slight_smile: It would be cool to see a report of which words are used the most/least.

Speaking of English and making this Wyze related at the same time, a few years ago my [at the time] preteen daughter tried to tell us that she "knew all of English"already (I think in context it had to do with saying she didnā€™t need school or learning anymore, etc)ā€¦ Of course we had a good discussion about how even we donā€™t know all of English, and basically nobody does, etc. (Possible exceptions for extreme outliers in a Rain man type of situation).

But I still saved that recording and now everytime I use a word she doesnā€™t know and asks what that means, I relentlessly remind her ā€œwhat?!? I thought you knew all of Englishā€ :rofl: Itā€™s all in good fun, not cruel, but has been a good reminder to her of how you donā€™t know what you donā€™t know and some of what you think you know, isnā€™t so. And how it can be important to keep learning, etc. Now itā€™s just fun to invoke the teenager eye roll intentionally.

2 Likes

Long-winded version of ā€˜I give up.ā€™ :laughing:

It was recorded on a Wyze Indoor You-Canā€™t-Kill-The-Mic Spy Cam? :slight_smile:

[Hint to be inserted in prior post for weak sisters]

2 Likes

Iā€™m giving others a chance at this one. :grin:

2 Likes

Incidentallyā€¦

Does anyone still doubt that I am virtuous?

Look, I concede my weaknesses like no one else:

I am just, fair and honorable. I amā€¦ peep.   :wave: :frog:

1 Like

Hand Raise
:rofl:

Hey! That was SHORT & concise for me!

Speaking of ā€œvirtuous,ā€ outside of a username, you are the first person to use that word in this forum.

ā€œConcedeā€ has been used 25 times at the time of this writing.

Only used once before now:

Used twice before now:
scrupulous

Used a few times:
encyclopedic

Used once correctly, and used as a misspelling on accident many other times:

(Other accidental misspelling use for this were intended to be: to me, time, tone, only Customer intended to say ā€œtomeā€)

2 Likes

I am speechless (except for the :rofl: .)

You have pinned my legs back. Or maybe itā€™s ears. Though my legs would be easier. So maybe that.

Ā  :white_flag: :fr:

2 Likes