Wifi interruption, Wyze bulbs not reconnecting

There was a power failure that resulted in wifi being off temporarily. Wyze plugs and cameras re-established wifi connection and work fine after wifi interruption, but bulbs are “offline” after interruption and cannot be controlled by app. Is the only way to re-establish bulb connection to app done by removing and adding device? You would not be able to do that if you were away from home when a power outage occurs. Is there some other way of re-establishing control of the bulbs?

Is your bulb firmware current? They released a new version about a month ago.

Yes. Everything is up to date.

This topic is discussed in several threads here. There are quite a few suggestions. What I did instead is use a UPS to power my modem/WiFi. I haven’t lost my single Wyze bulb in that time, and I know we’ve had several outages (microwave oven LCDs flashing).

2 Likes

I searched other threads and did not see this specific issue with bulbs vs. plugs and cameras. Am I the only one seeing this problem with bulbs reconnecting?

Like the UPS for the wifi idea. Thanks. Would love to hear any other ideas too.

1 Like

I can easily see several related threads. Search for “bulb offline”

1 Like

Yes. Thanks.

1 Like

Usually if you wait 5 to 10 minutes they will reacclimate themselves but sometimes you have to wait up to 30 minutes. With the latest firmware did you select for them to
maintain previous state

This happens to me every time someone in my house turns off a porch light (Wyze bulbs) using the light switch. My phone app says the bulb is “offline” and I have great difficulty getting them to reconnect once I turn the switch back on. Does anyone have any tips for quick reconnect of bulbs so that luddites who insist on using physical light switches can still use them, and I will still be able to use the app?

1 Like

Buy these or something similar to cover the switch and then you don’t have to worry about it. I had to do that because I had the same exact problem.

Mitzvah Family 2202 Magnetic Switch and Outlet Cover for Flat Modern Switches, 6 Piece https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DCCCETM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_nlWlEb00GH47P

1 Like

I must be lucky, I have a smart light switch wired into my porch lights. There are 3 lights on that switch, 2 normal bulbs and 1 WYZE bulb. At sunrise the wall switch automatically turns off, this forces the WYZE bulb offline like you describe, but at sunset the wall switch turns back on and within 2 minutes my bulb always shows reconnected. I know my WiFi access point is only through 1 wall and about 15 feet away from the bulb so it has a pretty good signal, that may be why I don’t have reconnect issues with it.

2 Likes