What does " Added support for a custom motion detection zone" mean?

This week’s new Wyze Cam v3 firmware lists " Added support for a custom motion detection zone." Neither of my v3 cameras show a PIR Effective Area in the Detection Settings area, like my Wyze Outdoor Cams do. Am I misunderstanding what a custom motion zone is?

Mark

Imagine instead of pulling a detection zone from upper left to lower right, you could instead select any one of 144 ‘blocks’ (16x9) to look for motion. That’s what “Added support for a custom motion detection zone” is about.

If you don’t see this, my guess is either your firmware or software is not current? Below is my V3 capture is from production app 2.19 and V3 firmware 4.36.0.290 on iOS. Yes, there is a newer firmware version available, but I am not on it yet. So is the newer 4.36.1.4 bad?

BTW, you say PIR which is “Passive Infrared”. The Outdoor cam has a PIR sensor, but the V3s still use pixel movement.

3 Likes

I updated both of my v3 cams yesterday to FW v4.36.1.4, via iOS, running v2.19.24, I don’t have this feature available for my v3 cams. I do have it on my Outdoor Cams, so I know what to look for:)

Mark

You make me worried to try to update to FW v4.36.1.4. Anyone else on v4.36.1.4 seeing this?

I’m thinking the recent iOS app update hosed my Detection Settings completely. I don’t even have the standard settings to pull anymore, on my v3 cams.

Mark

All of my v3s are on v4.36.1.4 and the grid pattern works on all of them

1 Like

You need to tap on the detection zone arrow at the right where yours says “on” to see the detection zone grid pattern

2 Likes

Gaaaaah! There it is! Thanks:)

Mark

2 Likes