We’re Giving Wyze Person Detection to All Users at Whatever Price You Want - 1/11/22

Yes, I love conversations with @Customer including when we disagree, maybe especially then. I can always rely on him to be logical, insightful, and honest about what he thinks, good or bad, and very reasonable, in addition to being well educated and really resourceful and very familiar with the forum.

If you look at my profile, he’s toward the top of all my stats since we’ve had these kind of awesome respectful conversations going on for almost 2 years now :slight_smile: :

I think he provides a REALLY valuable perspective in this community. Everyone’s perspective and opinion is valuable, but Customer often helps me to break my confirmation bias and consider other perspectives and such, so I am very prone to read what he says and enjoy conversations with him. :wink:

4 Likes

He’s funny, too. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I hope Wyze will allow us to make a single ANNUAL payment for paying what you want. Currently my contribution is 0$ because of that. I’d rather give my money to Wyze than give it in transaction and currency conversion fees. I already pay two annual subscriptions for CamPlus. I don’t need more and I’m willing to pay a certain amount ANNUALLY for CamPlus lite.

3 Likes

May I say something? Ok.

I’m a regular-person/geek hybrid. Maybe 70/30, at worst, 60/40.

I speak geek. Sort of. Y’know, muddle through.

Exhibit:

Not sure what a better solution would be to cover those people. I suppose they could make it so anyone who is already active would need to actively opt-out instead of actively opt-in, Only new accounts would need to actively opt-in. Current customers could have been given a choice to select to opt out or opt in and have non-responses set to continuing with cloud. That might’ve been an overall better option. It wouldn’t have drastic savings initially, but it might’ve worked out okay in the long term doing that.

So, I reads this, and it makes me laugh, because I’m pretty sure it makes perfect sense, but I can’t prove it, because I can’t get through it without laughing, because I’m a geek hybrid…

Eh?

So, my Christian carpenter told me it was Marx who said, ‘You can’t make an omelette without breaking eggs’, which I had said to him and he’d looked up.

That’s how I feel about the unfortunate few who will get broken in Wyze Great Omelette Adventure. I am willing to be one of those unfortunate few. I promise to be philosophical and good humored if it happens.

Will “you”?

(you=adult wyze customer)

The items you find in the ‘Events’ tab are cloud events, your SD card is viewed by going to the live view of the camera and selecting the ‘View Playback’ button at the bottom.

If you opt in to Cam Plus Lite nothing will change with the exception of you having Person Detection now. If you decide not to opt in your ‘Events’ tab will no longer have videos, it will have a thumbnail photo and you will have to view any videos from the SD card.

2 Likes

No, they aren’t. The most Wyze is guilty of is making customers jump through a small hoop to retain the 12 second Event clips and get Person Detection. You’ll have to spend 5 minutes on the Internet signing up for a Cam Plus Lite subscription.

If you sign up for the Person Detection you haven’t given up anything.

No they haven’t. See above.

3 Likes

No. It’s to get people that don’t use the clips at all off of the servers. Some people only view the cameras when needed and never use Notifications or Event clips.

Probably.

2 Likes

How can none work?
Cam Plus Lite is what she has now with the addition of Person Detection that she doesn’t have to use.

2 Likes

Yep, that would have headed off the only objection scenario (other than the shaming / upselling - but someone else is paying for your service, etc.). And agreed it would also probably have made the whole idea a non-starter from Wyze’s economic perspective, so their new approach makes a lot of sense. Back atcha on appreciating the polite discourse. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Disable Camera Microphone

Every time Wyze pulls one of these stunts it reminds me of a child that does something wrong but claims they didn’t know any better.

We didn’t know using rented processing power to do person detection would cost money. The new money guy just told us. (Remember that one?) :grinning:
We didn’t know allowing millions of people to upload video to a server would cost money. Can we please have some of yours? Everyone else is paying.

I do understand this move. A lot of people never access the uploaded clips. What I don’t like is the pan handling that is going along with it.

3 Likes

I’ve seen this feedback a few times and have passed it to the team and good news - we’re actively working on this! As long as no major unforeseen roadblocks hit us, you should see this option come up in the future.

4 Likes

Monkey thinks @carverofchoice drinks too much 'Verbose" juice :laughing::hear_no_evil::pray:

2 Likes

Peyote… Good for the imagination

1 Like

It’s not the ‘Map’ that Wyze uses, it’s all the unnecessary destinations “KISS” is the most effective direction.

1 Like

So you judge Wyze as a corporate entity to be disingenuous? If they’re not, they won’t be invited to corporate entity lunch.

Incorrect term because they are not cadging from strangers.

Nice to see ya, Angus, it’s been a while. :slight_smile:

I like Carver’s style. I like Customer’s style. I’m a like-er. :slight_smile:

It’s like the Oprah visioning-yourself-into-your-desired-future thing. I think. I’m not that familiar with Oprah.

Wyze, even with $100M in their rucksack, is small. One advantage of ‘small’ is ‘nimble’. Does this move (and maybe some coming) evidence that?

I can not believe how many people are complaining about this. I just wanted to chime in and say THANK YOU WYZE!! This will save me $100 a year, more privacy and control. The only reason I had cam plus is for the person notifications and now it’s free. With the updated ability on the sd card I am all set.

3 Likes

My biggest issue with this whole thing, going back to taking away the XNOR person detection is that I am straight shooter. Tell me upfront about what you want to charge and what I’ll get from that and I’ll make my decision accordingly, but don’t change the terms after the fact.

It doesn’t mean that I’m a cheapskate or want something for nothing the way the pay what you want screens imply. I had already installed pricey DVR and then NVR systems which cost around $2K and were giant pains with the port forwarding and such. I had also installed Ring and Nest cameras before finding out about WYZE and knew the going rate.

If WYZE would have come out and said “Our V2 camera is $40 and we’ll give you 6 months of 12 second clips after which you can stick with just SD card or subscribe to us at about what the other guys charge” that would have been an honest offer because they would make an actual profit from it, and it would let me compare it with the other 2 and decide whether it was worth it to pay a little more to go with the big boys or a little less and help a startup company go up against the big boys.

Instead, WYZE came out with this illogical idea to offer dirt cheap cameras with lifetime 12 second storage. It wouldn’t take an MBA to figure out that at some point, the scales in the cost graph would tip, but hey, that was the sales pitch! Who was I to argue with people smarter than myself who had figured out how to monetize the footage. I mean google was never charging customers for google’s search the android system either so perhaps these guys knew something nobody else knew. At any rate, I took them up on their offer.

Now they act all shocked that storage costs money and contracts with XNOR fell apart and are trying to guilt people who took them at their word into paying for a subscription after they’ve already invested in the system and helped them get off the ground. Yes, I know, I know, if one opts in, they won’t lose anything and even get person detection back, but that’s not the point. The point is, shouldn’t have to do that. Your word is your bond.

3 Likes

So is it safe to say if I have no desire for person detection or cloud storage there’s no benefit of having cam plus lite?

Also, if I am utilizing local storage for recordings why can I not set event recordings to any length I desire or even continuous recording. I understand charging for this feature if the events are utilizing cloud storage. But if I purchase a camera and also purchase storage why am I limited on what I can store?

Thanks

1 Like

My gripe is that event recording duration is locked to a specific length even if you only utilize local storage and do not utilize the cloud at all. Why gatekeep a hardware feature behind cloud features when I’ve already purchased the hardware that supports said feature.

1 Like