We need your input and we have a GIVEAWAY - Wyze Home Monitoring Week 4

Wyze addressed this issue in an “Ask Me Anything” on Reddit:

My understanding is that the vast majority of people who have cellular backup hardware don’t even pay to activate it, and so the market for it is actually quite small, but it requires adding expensive equipment that the majority of customers will never use or want, especially those in this market who usually look to Wyze as the most affordable and low cost offerings with a strategy of low margins + high volume.

The small percentage who do want it is far smaller than those who would rather have a cheaper system. There are some ways a person can implement their own DIY cellular backup options for this (discussed in other threads) including some options that could probably be free for a small amount of monthly data for the rare occasion you need it as backup. I have actually suggested to wyze that they create a separate attachment that allows this or a separate hub that includes it for the few people who do want it. I actually think that would be beneficial in many ways, even for people like me who would never use it, it is good that it exists. See, right now, everyone knows that Wyze doesn’t have a built in cellular option at all, so chances of someone having a DIY option are very small. They can safely assume that if someone has a Wyze system, you can cut their cable and safely break in. On the other hand, if cellular exists, then EVERYONE who has a Wyze system benefits from people having doubts as to whether or not there is cellular active. For that reason I am supportive of Cellular being offered as an option to the few people who would get it. Everyone wins…I just like having an option that doesn’t require me to pay for all that expensive hardware I will never use. Besides, even cellular won’t prevent someone that determined from breaking in. If they’re determined enough that they’re willing to cut your cable line and/or your power lines, then cellular won’t make a single bit of difference. Frequency jammers are pretty easy to buy or make. If they’re going to expend effort to disable your internet, then cellular jamming is nothing…easier even. Security systems are best as a deterrent, but I know people with alarms who still got robbed because the burglars just rush in masked, grab a few quick expensive items and book it into a get-away vehicle long before anyone ever arrives on scene. Cellular doesn’t do anything extra in any of those cases. That’s why I personally don’t waste the money.

I do still support having it as an option though (I even requested it in the first response in this thread, It was item #10 on my list of suggestions in that first response in this thread). And it sounds like enough people have asked about it that Wyze may actually do it. So your comment is helpful because Wyze has been listening. :slight_smile: