View On PC/Browser (Windows / Mac / Chromebook)

i’m trying to fathom what is taking so long.
I don’t think its a technical roadblock, It has to be monetary.

1 Like

It’s got to be the P2P, at least regarding a browser. From Reolink:

But isn’t that exactly why WebRTC is built in to all browsers now?

1 Like

This has astounded me for a long time as well.

My new theory is that we cam users are just thinking of a web based cam viewer (that’s all I want), but Wyze is always thinking of their entire line of smart home products.

So they don’t want to release anything that doesn’t control all of their current gadgets - which make a the website interface project a lot more complex…??

1 Like

Very good point re web browsers and port forwarding challenges - I have no idea how all that is programmed, or what issues may be involved.

But freebie “turn your old phone into a surveillance camera” programs like Alfred have offered web viewer interfaces for many years??

P2P will require a plugin for the browser. That’s how my Foscams work.

1 Like

I’ve said it before. It’s not a money maker for them. People buy the cameras whether they have a PC client or not, Because they are cheap, and they do a good job otherwise.

1 Like

Hi there! Sorry, but I got a little lost in the discussion and the forum’s search tool. I need to access the camera stream from OUTSIDE the local network. I assume it is possible once I upgrade to the rtsp firmware, and if I open the port the camera is connected to? Did anyone try it?
Thanks!

I have decided to pause my Wyze purchases in protest. Wyze keeps coming up with more and more things to purchase and yet they STILL don’t have a PC app for viewing and controlling the original Wyze cams. I have been an early adopter since the first Wyze cams came out. I have several of the originals, a Wyzecam Pan, Wyze Bulbs, and Wyze Sense. However, I am STILL using BlueStacks to view my cameras. I have to agree that the cameras are great, but without viewing software for the PC, it’s like having a new car with no tires. Sure, you can put dollies under the wheels and move it around with the engine running, but you just don’t get anywhere. That’s how I feel about Wyze. Before I purchase any more Wyze equipment, I’m waiting for the long-promised PC viewing and control app. It has literally been years now. Sure BlueStacks works, but it uses copious amounts of memory (even after cutting out the unneeded parts of the emulator) and it takes FOREVER to boot and is “clunky” to use. Wyze seems to be very good at developing new products, but they haven’t properly supported their original product that got them started. Pretty poor business practice if you ask me.

5 Likes

This has only been officially something we’re researching for about 3 months at this point. But we understand why folks are very interested in this feature and why the frustration exists. I’m continuing to keep tabs on this and will post updates as I receive them. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Aww. Ok then.

No no Lews, you don’t need special firmware or port forwarding at all. Using the regular old Wyze mobile phone app you should be able to view live streams of your cameras from anywhere. That’s how it always works.

1 Like

Thank you, but I specifically need to access the stream from OUTSIDE the app and the local network. It’s for a research project, the video stream has to be used as input for a Python library, which accepts rtsp addresses as input.
I’ve been told I can do what I need, as long as I port forward the port the camera is connected on.

One method to achieve this is to use tinyCam Pro as a webserver

1 Like

Yeah this would be nice, a PC application, but I’ve been running an android emulator, on a computer, I setup for this, thats connected to some monitors, thats also connected to my server.

It would be nice, but I’ve kind of given up on it, but its not really an issue anymore, since I’m using an Android emulator.

1 Like

Been using an android emulator as well but need to get away from it. A pc-based solution is very much desired.

2 Likes

It’s been awhile since I tried sideloading. But I got it all set up, and it tried to install the newest version, Used APKPure, but it would not run. I actually had other things to do, and a short vacation, but I can begin to work on this again. People are amazed at the age of the devices we still get working around here. I do use a Motorola phone, but my old S3 still works, and my Captivate, and Rugby my wife had. I think I will try to sideload on my old Android Asus Transformer tablet w/removable keyboard. Must be the old Scottish blood that makes me so cheap. Will let you know as I go along.

While I ultimately think a good web interface is the best, easiest solution, (should work for Windows, Apple, Linux, Chrome, and the others), another option would be to set up your $20 cameras as webcams, using the Wyze firmware you can easily find on their webpage. It was easy to install, I should be able to return the camera to standard firmware, if I want. The downside was finding the USB A to USB A cable, but that was easy online, just a bother. Once they are set up as webcams, just play in the Windows world, find the webcam viewing programs you want to use.

Now all I need is a 40 mile long USB cable. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Hope this comes soon!

This is a solution I am playing with right now (Using the Web Cam Firmware connected to a Raspberry Pi), but there is one big flaw that is a dealbreaker really…

There is no way to activate the Night Vision/Infrared lights.

Because of this, it is unusable at night, unless you use an external Infrared light, which would work, but just adds costs.
PS: I have an email into support asking if there is any way to turn on/off the Infrared lights when using the web cam firmware. I assume it isn’t possible, but it was worth asking.