Video Doorbell pro just not working

I ordered a pair of Video Doorbell Pro’s. I installed one of them and it worked fine for a few days and then there was a firmware update. It failed. Since then I have cleared cache, deleted, reset, and readded over and over and have not been able to get these functioning again. Setup steps seem to be successful. But in App the camera appears to be functional but never shows live video. While trying to view settings get the prompt that there’s weak signal (Cam, Chime, and AP are within feet of each other and I have 1Gbps fiber at home). i also have about a dozen other devices that are perfectly fine (not perfect but have the typical weirdness endemic of Wyze as of late).

Wyze support sent a replacement which just arrived today. In the meantime I took the second device out of the box and attempted to set it up. Same symptoms. Odd. Digging deeper I spent some time doing some diagnostics. (I’ve got 25 years Networking experience) I checked my PFSENSE firewall to see if maybe something in these new cams was being blocked. Nope. Checked DHCP and found something interesting. The Chime is fine. Has an IP and can see the DHCP ACK and all is good. The Cam however never appears to get an address.(sanitized) :

Mar 10 21:09:40 dhcpd 24309 DHCPOFFER on x.x.x.x to 7c:78:b2:xx:xx:xx via y.y.y.y
Mar 10 21:09:40 dhcpd 24309 DHCPDISCOVER from 7c:78:b2:xx:xx:xx via y.y.y.y
Mar 10 21:09:40 dhcpd 24309 DHCPOFFER on x.x.x.x to 7c:78:b2:xx:xx:xx via y.y.y.y
Mar 10 21:09:40 dhcpd 24309 DHCPDISCOVER from 7c:78:b2:xx:xx:xx via y.y.y.y
Mar 10 21:09:40 dhcpd 24309 DHCPOFFER on x.x.x.x to 7c:78:b2:xx:xx:xx via bxe1.13
Mar 10 21:09:40 dhcpd 24309 DHCPDISCOVER from 7c:78:b2:xx:xx:xx via bxe1.13
Mar 10 21:09:38 dhcpd 24309 DHCPOFFER on x.x.x.x to 7c:78:b2:xx:xx:xx via y.y.y.y
Mar 10 21:09:38 dhcpd 24309 DHCPDISCOVER from 7c:78:b2:xx:xx:xx via y.y.y.y
Mar 10 21:09:38 dhcpd 24309 DHCPOFFER on x.x.x.x to 7c:78:b2:xx:xx:xx via y.y.y.y
Mar 10 21:09:38 dhcpd 24309 DHCPDISCOVER from 7c:78:b2:xx:xx:xx via y.y.y.y
Mar 10 21:09:38 dhcpd 24309 DHCPOFFER on x.x.x.x to 7c:78:b2:xx:xx:xx via bxe1.13
Mar 10 21:09:38 dhcpd 24309 DHCPDISCOVER from 7c:78:b2:xx:xx:xx via bxe1.13
Mar 10 21:09:33 dhcpd 24309 DHCPOFFER on x.x.x.x to 7c:78:b2:xx:xx:xx via y.y.y.y
Mar 10 21:09:33 dhcpd 24309 DHCPDISCOVER from 7c:78:b2:xx:xx:xx via y.y.y.y
Mar 10 21:09:33 dhcpd 24309 DHCPOFFER on x.x.x.x to 7c:78:b2:xx:xx:xx via y.y.y.y

I tried to use a reservation and no reservation. no difference. For whatever reason the cam will not accept the IP it’s being given.

I read an article about the Cam Outdoor base running it’s own DHCP server and interfering with local devices on the same lan segment. I power that off just in case, no difference.

Checked the ARP cache on my Cisco C3750x stack and cleared all entries. no difference.

I’m out of ideas. I haven’t tried the replacement cam they sent me yet. I suppose it’s possible there was a bad batch, but I have to believe there’s something else going on, despite the fact that all my other wyze devices are fine.

At a loss. Any ideas?

Hi! Did you ever find any answers? I believe I am having the same issue now, and I am unsure how to proceed.

Thanks!

I had the same issue. I redid my mesh network so all bands were the same name. The Door Bell Pro refused to connect until I separated them. I moved the 5ghz and 6ghz over to a temp name, ran the camera setup again and it connected right away with the 2.4ghz only. I put the 5ghz and 6ghz back to the same name with the 2.4ghz and thought the door bell was going to break again because it went offline. It came back online within an hour or so and haven’t had any issues that I know of since.

Tried to install and set up my first Wyze Doorbell Pro today. The chime quickly connects (bluetooth) to the doorbell. And then to the WiFi. It was good to see the chime was happily connected and pingable on the WiFi AP’s 5GHz band. However, the doorbell’s MAC never associated on either 2GHz or 5GHz bands. Strangely the router DID see a DHCP DISCOVER packet and responded with a DHCP OFFER packet to the doorbell’s MAC. I don’t see how that was possible, given the doorbell’s MAC never associated with the WiFi AP, UNLESS the chime was bridging packets from the doorbell through it to the WiFi network. Regardless, the setup claimed to finish, but any connection attempts to the doorbell failed with errors. I reset things and tried again. Same problem. I even disabled the 5GHz band on my WiFi AP and forced all WiFi clients to use 2GHz and tried again. Exact same behavior and failure. I will be returning this defective doorbell to Amazon on Monday.

Your assumption is correct. The chime is a bridge between Doorbell Pro and your router/AP.

Why doesn’t anyone from Wyze ever respond to these threads with a fox?

1 Like

This forum is primarily a user-to-user community and not a substitute for Wyze Customer Support. Wyze employees do not actively monitor this forum. If you wish to speak to a Wyze employee/representative, please contact them directly at: