V3 Camera Recording Distance

I noticed this as well. It does not pick motion up from farther distances now.

Glad I’m not alone. Wyze definitely did something to restrict the distance.

As the powered cameras detect motion based on pixel changes, they may have increased the minimum threshold (even at the maximum sensitivity setting).

Which in turn reduces our camera’s usefulness. Maybe they should have given users a slider setting for that purpose.

My theory is that since color night vision gives a more noisy image, they did it to keep it from constantly triggering. If so, that could have been worked around by only engaging the reduced sensitivity if night vision was set to off (engaging color night vision).

Again, for them to do that just ruined my camera’s usefulness during the day. Now it doesn’t trigger on things I want it to, when before it did. Let us decide if triggering on a noisy issue is a problem and if so then we can just set the motion detection grid to ignore that area.

Setting any sensor sensitivity level to a maximum level could lead to false triggers or loss of detection due to higher heat sources from large sunny expanses of driveway. I would definitely reduce the sensitivity level to something around 80.

That’s not true at all. Wyze motion detection does not use heat sources and is not a PIR (Passsive Infra Red) system. It used uses differences in pixel changes. Heat has nothing to do with it. But I’ve tried using a setting of 80 and even 90, didn’t make a difference. I want the way it was before Wyze messed with it. I can’t put my camera any closer to area I was detection from. It worked great before, not it misses everything happening in that area.

I have the same issue, I find it does not pick up all movement, even cars or people at 30’, I have tried playing with the sensitivity, but if the sensitivity is too high, the Cam V3 picks up Dust, Rain, etc… I had cheap cam’s prior to switching all to V3’s and had better results.
Oh, 1 other point,… If I have a car parked in my driveway and a cat walks by, it tells me car detected! lol really you can tell it was there and had not moved in 12 hrs?

Welcome to the forums!

The motion detection system on the V3 is based on pixel change. The camera detects pixels changing in color, lightness, darkness, and interprets that as motion. It doesn’t tell physical distance just size and motion of the amount of pixels that are changing in view. Are you able to provide a video example? Are you talking about cars or people as in motion in general or cars and people as in the AI tag?

The AI tag on a event clip is not necessarily the motion that was detected. When a camera detects motion in it s view the clip is uploaded to the cloud. Once uploaded the AI algorithm looks at the full video for different objects that you tell it to look for and tags them if detected. That is the way the AI works currently, if you search the forums you’ll see that the AI is evolving to hopefully only tag what is actually moving.

I do have examples of playback a certain times I know vehicles have passed not 1 but 2 cameras looking at my house and from my house and seeing my neighbor drive by and neither camera picking this up as movement.