V2 cam event recording cloud playback issue [stalls after 2 seconds; affects multiple V2 cams]

I have three v2 cams, all up-to-date firmware, rock solid wireless connections, no Cam Plus (but paying for Person Detection on them all). Local SD cards recording of events is flawless, all triggering motion detection events and firing notifications as they should, flagging a person, etc.

Problem is cloud playback of the captures. I’ll get the alert and most of the time (80%+) playback of the 12 second clip of the event recorded from the cloud fails. It will load the video, start to play, and then stop two seconds in. Nothing I do will get it to play (though I can tap Playback to review via the local SD card, and that plays fine, so kinda a work around). I can come back 20 minutes later and review again, and it’ll play fine.

WiFi isn’t the issue (I build wifi networks as part of my job and have a solid wireless mesh at home). All v3 cams work fine. I’ve also brought the cameras, to rule out the network, to a second location (rural location, solid wireless LAN, brutal WAN/internet connection—only .5Mbps up) and same issue. All v3 cams work fine, WCO works fine, but the v2s all suffer the same issue.

I’ve reset the devices to factory default, re-flashed the firmware, etc., and just consistently getting cloud playback issues on the v2s.

I don’t remember when this started to happen—sometime in the last 3-4 months? But wasn’t an issue before that, and started to happen to all cameras around the same time.

Wondering if there’s any suggestions beyond the troubleshooting I’ve already done?

Thanks,
Kristin.

2 Likes

I have the exact same problem, and others are also having this problem…

I have the Wyze doorbell camera, an outdoor camera, three V1 cameras, six V2 cameras and a V3 camera. The only cameras that have this problem are the V2 cameras. I’ve tried everything to resolve this but nothing works. Getting Wyze to admit this is a problem and correct it is next to impossible because Wyze’s developers are essentially hopeless. Every time they attempt to fix a problem they introduce three or four new problems. I cringe each time they issue a new firmware or iOS app version. I wish they could do something about their developers because I have absolutely no confidence that this problem will ever be fixed.

I have the exact same issue, I started when the cameras were upgraded to 4.10.6.241 for me.

1 Like

I have similar issue - unable to Playback. Hangs and eventually says no SD card - I have SD card in the cameras forever. Captures and notifies OK but not able to see Playback. Started around 5/4/2021. Camera V2. Seems to happen after firmware updated to 4.9.6.241.

Such a bummer. I love WYZE and am all-in with the company knowing it’s more hobby-hardware vs reliable hardware (couldn’t imagine trusting a door lock or thermostat or anything else I’d need to rely on), but still super frustrating when good products are handcuffed by incompetent developers and poor support. This is the main reason I haven’t subscribed to Cam Plus; local SD card playback is the only thing that works for me on my v2 cams, so can’t see paying for a service knowing it’s not going to work.

same issue - 2-4 months now

Same issue here. All f/w and s/w up-to-date and running on iPhone 12 and strong signal (high dBm) to router (SD card playback is perfect). Any event recording to the cloud hangs and I watch the progress circle go round and round and it never plays back. It’s been like this for 3 months now. The best I can diagnose is that WYZE does not purchase enough “Burst Credits” for it’s AWS (Amazon Web Services) cloud to sufficiently service it’s customers.

This is an ISSUE with Android on Phone, I updated to the latest firmware 4.9.6.241, app software ver 2.20.21.
I have an ipad and the playback works there - I am not going to update the Wzye software on my ipad or it might break it as well !!

Exactly the same issue here. Thank you for describing it on the Forum.

Still doing this. Hangs on playback with progress circle continuously going around and around.

Gonna take a shot at this here it goes.
If your getting a rejection sign with (EX)
Code 06. Try turning off the ICLOUD BACKUP off.
It seemed to work and the rejection does reference the icloud.
Good luck.

dhorozy… Wyze does not store event videos in Apple iCloud, it uses it’s own contracted cloud server which I believe currently is AWS (Amazon Web Services).

I turned my icloud backup off and it helped me. It doesn’t have to be on.
They have admitted havind trouble with the cloud and posted that yesterday.
Hang on!!!

| SB709
June 19 |

• | - |

dhorozy… Wyze does not store event videos in Apple iCloud, it uses it’s own contracted cloud server which I believe currently is AWS (Amazon Web Services).

Wyze does not have access to your Apple iCloud. That’s not how Apple iCloud works. Only you have access to Apple iCloud, no one else. Apple iCloud is your personal, secure cloud service associated with your iDevice.

I hope this helps your understanding of different cloud services, or starts you on a path to understanding them.

THANKS!!! But they are having trouble in the area of cloud storage.

| SB709
June 19 |

• | - |

Wyze does not have access to your Apple iCloud. That’s not how Apple iCloud works. Only you have access to Apple iCloud, no one else. Apple iCloud is your personal, secure cloud service associated with your iDevice.

I hope this helps your understanding of different cloud services, or starts you on a path to understanding them.

Yes that’s correct, but their cloud storage, not yours. The cloud storage which is personally yours that is associated with your iDevice such as an iPhone… Apple has appropriately named iCloud.

Very different.

Just like your personal email, you do not want anyone having access (your password) to your personal cloud storage such as iCloud.

Wyze uses their own (or contracts their own).

Thanks for the info!!!
I’m not as sharp at this as you!!! Thanks again!!!

| SB709
June 19 |

• | - |

Yes that’s correct, but their cloud storage, not yours. The cloud storage which is personally yours that is associated with your iDevice such as an iPhone… Apple has appropriately named iCloud.

Very different.

Just like your personal email, you do not want anyone having access (your password) to your personal cloud storage such as iCloud.

Wyze uses their own (or contracts their own).

This problem seems to have been resolved for my V2 cameras. Probably happened with the last app upgrade. I almost don’t want to say anything because it’ll probably show up again when the next app upgrade happens.

Only thing I could add to this is probably is better than “did” at this point.
Good luck.

I also have a hell of a time trying to watch events. Many times I give up and mumble thoughts to the effect of them being cheap cameras. Then I remember that it has nothing to do with the cameras and mumble other things.

I have noticed that if it comes up enough to give you the option to download to your phone that it usually will and You can watch the event. It’s not exactly blindingly fast and so that gets tedious as well but just to point out the work around.

I didn’t start out on this. I’ve lost track of how many v2s have crapped out on me but the one ‘outdoor’ one I had has now crapped out and was looking to see what they cost now and found you still can’t just buy an outdoor cam without the ‘kit’ so I’m done with the outdoor cams. Guessing they can’t really support 4 or they’d let you buy more than 1.

Anyway I saw this and thought I’d give my 2 cents…