Use an external HD instead of a SD card?

I use a 32GB SD card in all three of my V2 Cams. I wonder if there is a way to instead run a cable to a larger storage device such as an external HD? Many external HDs use USB cables, but I don’t know of any cable with one end being a faux SD card that could be plugged into the back of a Cam. Anyone?

2 Likes

The advertised limit by Wyze states 32gb for SD cards, but many of us use larger without any problem. I have 64GB cards in two cameras without any issue and I’ve seen others here using 128GB. I don’t know how far people have gone successfully, but I do know you can buy some really high capacity SD cards, like 128GB, 256GB, 400GB , 512GB, etc.
I’m not saying they will all work, but if they do, it would be easier than a hard drive.

You could try to hack into one of those micro-SD extender cables, you might be able to put USB on one end. Still, you’d need separate power for the extHD because there’s no way the cams can supply the necessary juice for the HD AND the cam.

Interesting science project, but even then not sure it would work.

I’ve been fascinated by this idea as well. I was also wondered if a WiFi card might work with some sort of adapter. Maybe something like this https://www.saikosystems.com/web/images/product/medium/44.jpg

1 Like

@Emperor3

Have you looked into using RTSP and Blue Iris?

Reddit user’s settings for Blue Iris: Reddit - Dive into anything

1 Like

As a follow-up to my earlier post, I bought one and just tried it. Obviously it’s not the ideal form factor, but the implications are reassuring. You can use a Micro SD to SD adapter and not lose functionality, It may be a solution to larger storage and the possibility of using a wifi enabled SD card. That might facilitate remote access to the cam video. I was a tad surprised at the length of the ribbon cable, but it will fold up nicely and if I have to make some adjustments, it may be worth the trade-off.

1 Like

I have a 64 Gb SD card and it will not work in my cams. They don’t recognize it. :man_shrugging:

You might try formating the card in a computer, making sure it’s Fat32.
Some brands are better than others and you would want a high speed card for video, but other than that it should work fine.

3 Likes

There may well be an upper limit, but I didn’t have anything larger than 32 to try. I’m actually a little more curious about remote access to the card. I’ve never tried one of the wifi enabled SD cards, but if they work like I imagine, you could download the video file to the PC without removing it. Also, I like the idea of being able to access the card from an outside cam by threading the ribbon cable through a closed window. The experimenting continues, albeit slowly.

u can write to a NFS share instead of an SD card.

All depends on how techie u r…

1 Like

Take a look at this post.