Two keypads to control one Wyze Lock

I purchase the Wyze Door Lock for my garage entry door. My issue is that I leave my iphone in my study when opening the lock. The Wyze Door Lock would lock automatically locking me out.

So, I purchased 2 key pads to install on both sides of the door. This way I would be able to go into the garage via the key pad AND come back into the house via the second key pad ALL without needing my iphone. But, at present one 1 key pad per Wyze Door Lock is possible.

We need to be able to install 2 key pads per Wyze Door Lock so we don’t need the iphone to get in and out.

Can you clarify? When you are unlocking from the side that the lock is on, why can’t you just manually turn the unlock knob on the lock?

2 Likes

2 Wyze Keypads for 1 Wyze Lock for Special Needs Safety

The Wyze Keypad just arrived and we decided to buy 2 for 1 Wyze Door Lock, thinking that someone at Wyze actually took the Special Needs population into consideration. Not a ding. But most ppl don’t, but definitely should it’s a big pond with little to no fish. And a big money maker if you think about it. So, first off you can’t put more than one Keypad per Door Lock (why you ask) to make it harder for your special needs child to McGyver himself out the front door. However instead of us constantly asking Alexa to open the front door and she keeps saying What? Huh? Or breaking out your phone when your in a hurry and have the family lined up at the front door! Put a Wyze Keypad on the inside to be able to get out quickly! And a twofor making it impossible for your child with Autism or any other Special Needs child, not escape without knowing the code! However the ingenious at Wyze hasn’t thought about this one yet! Hence the wishlist. So let’s help them understand the most underserved population in the country! And make Wyze a ton of money with a small software update. Let’s see what you can do to help!

Good question! For some reason I’ve never been able to open the Wyze Lock manually.

When I try to open via the knob it jams or won’t fully open.

I’ve never forced it for fear I would break it. The Wyze Door Lock works just fine other than that.

How to fix this problem?

John

If you have a problem manually unlocking the door lock then I would suggest you reach out to Wyze Support.

The lock I have will turn manually without problem… It shows on the app correctly for whatever position it is in and says whether it was a manual or app unlock/lock. I have put a fair amount of force into it, being in an old house where the doors and jambs swell with weather, but I would definitely say that you can break anything with enough force.
Check out this guide: You might just need to calibrate the start and end slots for the lock. But on mine, it will turn against a fairly tight door with no problems manually. Hope this helps.

Is that a lot of people put the lock on the shaft for the cylinder itself when it was in an awkward position and not at one of two extremes. Which would lead to it either not locking fully or trying to overlocking which case you would have that resistance. I would probably need to see a video from that person that is having trouble to determine what is the cause. It’s hard to get an idea without actually seeing how much it’s turning and if there’s any unnatural or unintended movement. mine turns without even a slight hint of resistance and I’ve not had any issues other than the very original calibration issue

2 Likes

After close inspection I fixed the problem. When opening the Wyze manually, the pin does not fully retract. About 3/16” of the pin remains out.

I will try to adjust.

So, the inside keypad still doesn’t make sense unless you are altering the wyze lock to not have the manual turn style knob, otherwise the kid can just turn the knob like any deadbolt, Keypad or not.

If you are altering it, it is very likely against building code because all methods of egress (exit) from a house MUST be able to operate from the inside without special knowledge or tools, otherwise it is a fire hazard.

What we did for our autistic escape artist was to install a small hinged flip lock that will keep the door shut installed too high up for him to operate. Just Google child safety door latch for a whole slew of products.

The use case here sounds like a case of wrong tool for the job.

Note though, that I feel there are valid use cases. One example - a lock on a door as normal with the keypad outside, and another keypad inside at a desk to allow someone to unlock without needing to get their phone out or use Google/Alexa… though that is really another use case for a wyze button…

1 Like

The pin would not fully retract when manually opened. Problem solved!:ok_hand:

1 Like

Yes we called support and was told it was a great idea but couldn’t be done at this time and said to put it on the wishlist.

She means have 2kaypads work on one lock. One to exit and one to enter it would help with special needs who are wanderers and for the elderly who may have Alzheimer’s or other conditions who make them more apt to try to leave without caretakers awareness. This could help people with safety concerns sleep easier at night.

2 Likes

I want to jump in on this one too. The man door on the back of my garage was a double-keyed (no manual knob - keyed on both sides) deadbolt when I bought the house. The idea is it has a big window and someone could smash it and reach in to unlock it - and since they’re out in the garage, someone inside the house won’t hear it - and now, unless the house door is locked (who ever locks that one?), they can get into the house easily. Personally, I’d love to modify the Wyze Lock to NOT have a manual turn knob - either assemble it wrong or put a filler in there so it can’t be unlocked manually, but have a keypad on both sides of the door.

Honestly, supporting multiple keypads is whatever - sure, why not? Your use case sounds reasonable enough (even if they could just use the big window itself to get in, and then do whatever from there).

As for providing a way to turn the knob into something that can’t be operated - wyze should either NOT do this, or provide it as a secondary package with special labeling and notices. Why - because internation code requires that “Egress doors shall be readily openable from inside the dwelling without the use of a key or special knowledge or effort” this goes for external doors, as well as anything along the path of egress from any habitable spaces (bedrooms, etc). From the sounds of this post, since it is for the door on a garage (which cannot be required part of the path of egress anyway), then sure, it can have a double sided deadbolt, so why not with a double sided key-entry lock. It just shouldn’t be a standard option in the box IMHO.

Of course someone can climb through the broken window - but climbing through a window that starts at chest height and is filled with glass shards should be a lot harder than reaching in and would slow someone down. Just as you can buy double-sided deadbolts at the Big Orange Box Store, there’s obviously a need. I would take full responsibility for making necessary modifications and voiding the warranty in using the product in this manner. That said, there are plenty of situations in which standard code can be overridden due to special needs - Child Care, Senior Care, Special Needs (autistic) - and even my use case, where the needs for safety actually exceed the risk. I can’t imagine it would be that difficult to pair a second keypad.

It would be great if you could create a lock that helps parents or caregivers of people with various disabilities from getting outside at night when the caregivers are asleep. Many young kids who are autistic or those with Down’s syndrome, ID, etc are prone to wandering as are some older adults with dementia, TBI, and other cognitive impairments. If you created a lock that either requires a code or thumbprint or even facial recognition to make it harder for them to get out or even just one that would alert the caregiver that the door has opened it would greatly help.

The Wyze lock can notify you when it is locked or unlocked, or when the door is opened or closed. It can also be setup to auto-lock, so that when you close the door, it will automatically lock.

I will say the concept of hard to unlock things is a tough one though - there are building codes against such things because of the safety risk. They can’t get out… but what about when they, or anyone else, NEEDS to… like in a fire. That’s why building codes require all egress locks to be able to be unlocked from the side of egress without special equipment (like a key) or knowledge (like a passcode).

For young kids, I recommend something like the Prime-Line U 9888 Flip Action Door Lock, which is why I used with my autistic escape artist when he was young. There are a number of such devices that are effective for just a few dollars. I realize that for adults or teens, this doesn’t work, but hey - with the Wyze Lock, at least you can get notifications, and it can auto-lock when the door is shut so you don’t have to worry about if you remembered to lock the door… and if you’re still worried, you can check :slight_smile:

Personally would love this in my Airbnb listing. My plan would be to use it in the hallway connecting a spare bedroom to either listing 1 or 2. The hall is encolsed by a door on each side and in the middle is the door to the bedroom. The bedroom sit between the two listed spaces available for rent and occassionally we have requests for more sleeping space in one listing rather than another so this would allow the extra bedroom to be used for both listings and yet remain safe for the other listing not using that bedroom. We would provide a physical door stop to keep the door fully open on whichever listing the bedroom is being used for during their stay. (This allows for fast exits should an emergency arrise and also less hassel of having to put in codes to move around the space they’re actively renting.) Between guests both doors would be fully closed and locked so that the next guest can open the spare bedroom from the appropriate listed side.

I would like to again raise consideration for supporting multiple keypads for a single lock. There are several use cases including accommodation / accessibility for special needs and infirmed people who cannot use a smartphone to unlock the lock; and to allow for someone who you do not want to grant access to in the app even as a guest, to unlock your door while they’re inside and dealing with something - for example, someone watching the kids in the pool who needs to let someone in without walking away from the pool, or a caregiver providing medical care to an infirmed or disabled family member whose access to unlock your door should be restricted to when they’re in your house.

The number of use cases where NOT walking away from what you’re doing to manually unlock a door, especially cases where people responsible for doing so do not reside in your home, are numerous.

1 Like

I will second this wish list request. We have a Wyze Lock on our office door. We unlock it using a keypad that is on the inside because we have a wall with a pass through window separating the public area from the office so we cannot lock/unlock the door otherwise without going around the building. I would like to put a keypad by the outside of the door as well but cannot currently do that.