I think Wyze figures that since hardly any cameras (even from most other main brands) allow access to the SD card this way, then the default understanding would be these won’t either since that is the standard. But since not everybody checks whether this is possible or not before purchasing, they also offer a really good 30-day return policy, so that even people who buy them with incorrect assumptions and without checking what the functionality is first before purchase will have no room to complain since they should be able to know by then whether the product works as expected or not. Worst case scenario, even after 30 days, even used Wyze devices hold their value really well when resold. Part of the reason for this is that they are already being sold at extremely low profit margins, so it is pretty easy for a person to resell on ebay or another site for close to purchase price.
Anyway, make sure to carefully research any other cameras you buy too. I have had several from many other companies and so far none of the ones I have had allow this functionality. I think it’s standard in the industry not to have this feature since most of the people who do want to copy and save video have it recorded directly to an NAS with the video stream, so I don’t have any recommendations off the top of my head, but if you do find some that provide it, and at a reasonable cost, feel free to share. It’s always nice to learn about other options, I like testing other options, and it will help for anyone else in the future who has the same critical need that is fairly hard to find anywhere else affordably.
And you do. They’re right there, just like the files sitting in your still camera, and just like the bread sitting in your machine. As carver very kindly delineated, this was simply an overexpectation on your part. I certainly agree that retrieving the files wirelessly in bulk would be a great nice-to-have though. (And I think you know you can retrieve them wirelessly when playing them back.)
I was pretty excited when one of the hacks included an SMB or ftp server but I think it was blocked (?).
The reason for the purchase was so that I would have the video files.
“And you do.”
No I don’t? I can not move them, I can not alter them and they disappear in 2 weeks when they are overwritten. I clearly do not “have” them. I can see them though for a short period of time.
The files in my still camera can be moved out of the camera by wireless network or bluetooth connection or USB cable, so I can use them for any purpose I have. The camera manufacturer knows I bought the camera so I could have the files and so insured they made that process easy.
“As carver very kindly delineated, this was simply an overexpectation on your part.”
I think I have made my position quite clear, that suggestion is self-serving BS. People buy a camera so they can have the files the camera produces and I did not get that with my Wyze cameras.
As I said I seem to be in the minority with my opinion and that is fine, I will find another solution.
Sure you can. They’re right there in your camera. I just reread your last few posts and it’s not clear whether you’re aware you can simply remove the SD cards and copy all the files (I assumed you were.) Most or all of the Wyze cams refrain from encrypting the SD card files so this is a trivial task except for the need to physically access the cameras. Of course at height and in the winter this is a real pain.
Anyway, good luck with your new brand. Please let us know which one(s) you find that include remote download of the SD card files.
With so much of the industry adopting Matter compatibility, I’d love to see this built into the Wyze ecosystem. PLEASE read How to Use the Wishlist (link above) and search BEFORE POSTING. If your submission is approved, don’t forget to VOTE for it.
Do you have any future plans of developing g software and or hardware that will comply with the “Matter” standards? This will help decide if I count one to purchase Wyze products or if I have to transition to matter friendly devices.
They’re part of the matter alliance… there’s a bunch of posts on this. I believe some Wyze product already support matter. Keep in mind that standards haven’t been finalized/published for every device type. I.e.: there’s still no finished matter standard for video cameras last I knew… so there won’t be video cameras that support matter until the standard is finalized and there’s a way for cameras to support it
That is disappointing. I do know that it costs like $7K/yr to be an Adopter Member plus $3K per product, so maybe they just figured they don’t want to keep paying money for something they’re not using yet. It would make sense to wait to pay it until you actually start using it. That might be why this wishlist is still showing as in progress researching.
But it is a concerning sign that they are no longer listed as it is just as likely that they decided they’re going to blow off Matter. I hope that’s not the case. If it is, this Wishlist needs to be updated to Maybe Later or Probably not.
From the beginning I remember the Matter group mentioning yhat Camera integration into the standard would be later than sooner. Perhaps WYZE did not see much happening with cameras any time soon and bailed. Also several of the big players are beginning to balk and want to continue to remain proprietary. Disconcerting!!!
Just read this scathing article about how badly Matter is failing so far:
Kind of sucks. It has such potential, but it just hasn’t been going anywhere and more companies have been giving up on it.
What we really need in the long term is for everyone to embrace a true opensource connectivity standard. I have just been hoping that matter would be a good positive step in the meantime, even though I hate that it’s a pay to play scheme.
It will be really sad if it keeps choking into oblivion though. I really want general interoperability to succeed.
that’s the only thing is always go Carver, good ideas could pass over for bad ones and Facebook is notorious for making ill-conceived ideas I think Zuckerberg is very financial minded. Could be his wife too who knows either way I don’t like him never have liked him and I definitely am not a fan of Facebook anyway you’re right a unified push for connectivity would be good the problem is there is no unification in the world to get two people to agree to anything as a monumental thing much worse today than it used to be