Suggestion- quit updating app and cameras if they are working

If your cams are working at an acceptable level, do not do ANY more upgrades to app or cam. Because eventually you will end up with some issue.

14 Likes

Subjective tolerance. When have they ever been “working” in a vastly expanding and ever changing gigatech terrain. The supporting tech landscape changes faster than Wyze can react to keep them working.

3 Likes

Perhaps I should have said, meeting your needs, recording and reporting events and/or simply working

6 Likes

I agree with you. Wyze has recently displayed an unacceptable level of face palm :man_facepalming:updates.

The constant updates to the app and the FW are necessities if Wyze wants to survive in a highly demanding consumer feature and hacker security driven industry
 Otherwise we would go elsewhere to get the features and tech we want or to get security rich hardware and software. If they weren’t adapting, my cams would be obsolete by the time I hang them and unsecure out of the box
 And Wyze would be gone.

Where the nexus of the problem lies is in the development and testing of the updates. Too many bugs, too many untested problems, too many unpredicted compatibility issues, too many mistakes. They simply are not developing stable updates and not testing them thoroughly before public release. We are their proving grounds. I get Google and Amazon updates all the time
it doesn’t break my hardware or apps.

The rush to meet market demand has overpowered the demand for stability. They could really take a lesson from the Auto Industry

9 Likes

For conversation’s sake, from August 2021, the glory days :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, read all that some time ago. Innovation without stability is useless for long term growth. There is no choice to be made. They are inextricably linked. To choose one in spite of the other is to whither and die. They are inseparable Siamese twins
 Choose one, loose the other. Must nurture both equally.

2 Likes

Maybe you should take the Wyze principals fishing. Then out on the rink. See if any epiphanies dawn. :wink:

1 Like

Wyze should focus more on their principles and less on their Principals.

4 Likes

Touché.

You just keep bringing the compelling peeps! Big fan! :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

1 Like

Their differences are immense; she is a stridently vocal Marxist Jew with strong anti-war opinions, and he is a carefree White Anglo-Saxon Protestant with no particular political bent.

Funny Wyze commercial in their future?

In other news, it’s OP @toddreg 's   :cake:   day.   Four years!

Misty watercolored memories of the Wyze we were.

4 Likes

Agreed. Way too many “oops” that affects thousands of us in upsetting ways. They should slow down, prove their updates beyond a reasonable doubt - and only then push them out. It truly gets tiring to receive notifications every 9 days that I need to update my devices. I just want stability - and have thus become skeptical of making frequent updates for fear that what’s working well will then “tank”.

2 Likes

“quit updating app and cameras if they are working”

I wish. The recent forced updates to the camera firmware and the Android app means that I now have 9 cameras that ignore lots of obvious motion while they frequently flag phantom motion. Decent motion detection is fundamental to the cameras and it’s only gotten worse over time. Meanwhile, Wyze is pushing hard for subscriptions and all I can say is that when motion detection works at least as well as it did when the detection area was a simple rectangle (about two years ago) then I might consider it. Until then I won’t be buying anything else from Wyze and I guess that many users will feel the same way.

there have not been any “forced” updates, you always have the option. If you can figure out how to do it go back 6-9 months to an earlier version

Wrong. It already happened.

Wrong.

That should still be possible. However it may just get the forced update again.

I have not touched my detection zone settings since long before the recent forced updates. Based on your comment and out of curiosity I launched the Wyze app (I almost never use it) to see what my current zones look like.

1. Strangely the app auto-updated even though it was not downloaded through the Amazon app store (it was sideloaded) and I had removed the Play Store from this Fire tablet. I didn’t think that was possible.

2. My detection zones seem to be just as I left them, defined rectangles, although those same rectangles are now presented to me as part of the new grid pattern.

3. Regardless, my zones have been working well even after the forced updates.

Agree 100 percent.

Too late
the last update suggested by Wyze ‘hosed’ one of my four V2 cameras.
It simply did not come back up after the update.
It also reported error 90.
I followed all the steps listed
downloaded, extracted and renamed the file to a freshly formatted (FAT) card as demo.bin.
Held the reset button and plugged in the cable as stated.
Light went Amber released as stated. Light went blue flashing. Waited for half hour
still flashing blue.
Camera seems to be lost to update.
Irate about a supposed update bricking my camera.
Held for 45 minutes last evening and no one picked up my troubleshooting call to tech support.
That’s even worse.

1 Like