Stolen Camera V3

Either do that or give us the option to record to a local network drive.

You’d think that Wyze would have this ironed out from the get go, but nooo. Leave it customers to point it out to them. Ridiculous!

4 Likes

Maybe a old-timer can confirm for me…

Wasn’t there a NAS option long ago and far away in the app for V1 cams? It disappeared in further updates.

Maybe I was dreaming.

1 Like

So what good does fixing the mac address do on the account. Don’t you still need a device to view the video? Even if viewing cloud on Wyze.com, how will those videos get displayed if the associated device gone? Wyze make up phantom device for the mac. What am I missing? Help me understand please.

It would be just like it is now when a cam gets unplugged, etc.

As long as the cam is still listed in your app you can still view the cloud clips associated with it for the usual time period.

So in that respect, yes, there would have to be a phantom device added to your account with the correct MAC address to fool the app.

I think… ?

We all were!

Lots of talk and optimism, but then we woke up… :neutral_face:

There were a number of reasons it never manifested, but it would be a wonderful feature indeed…

4 Likes

This should be added to the top of the list of known issues. But then again I’ve been waiting for 7+ months for the 1 minute unwanted cooldown period on the WCO with cam unlimited to go away. :frowning_face:

4 Likes

I was talking about existing videos in the cloud up to the moment when the camera gets snatched and removed from the account.

1 Like

The problem was the perp that stole the camera assigned it to another account so Wyze would have to track them down or remove it from there account lock there account and reassign the camera to original owner so they could download video and sent it to police. Remember this is petty theft so goo luck.

1 Like

Very true. Too much effort for a $35 cam.

Lock-out of MAC address would be as easy fix.

2 Likes

Exactly, I’m not worried about the $35 camera and the fact that they stole it. What I’m worried about is the fact that when the thief connected to camera to his account, it removed all of the cloud data from my account so if this guy would have stole a bunch of stuff and then did the same thing with the camera, you have no way to look back at it. This makes this not a security camera. It’s no more than a baby monitor. I pay for cloud storage. I want my cloud storage, but instead it gets deleted from my account when the camera is connected to another account. Where is my 14 days of cloud storage?

4 Likes

It’s not the value of the cam, it’s what’s in the footage.

6 Likes

Good point.

@habib, understood as much. Even so, the original mac address cam is gone, how would those cloud videos be displayed even within the original 14 day cloud window if the cam has been reassigned within that same 14 day cloud period. Wyze would have to create a virtual cam for every camera a user has registered to their account. Followed by the next logistical question, when does Wyze delete the virtual cam. This is a nightmare scenario.

1 Like

I think this should be added to June’s “Fix-It Friday” list.
This is a genuine concern. We really need access to the cloud footage that may show the person(s) that removed that camera.

Other Thoughts…
If you are going to remove the cloud recordings on a “re-setup”, why leave the contents of the SD card alone? I would assume if you were going to remove the cloud recordings you would force a format of the SDcard too?

One of the main holdups for allowing shared account holders access to SDcard footage was because they may not have been officially granted access to all historical footage that resides on the SDcard by the original account holder.

I wonder if the person that removed the camera and ran through the setup could (through the Wyze App) access all historical footage on the SDcard.
I know they could pop it out and stitch the files together and get it fairly easy,

1 Like

Depending on how Wyze handles the cameras currently on the back end may make it easy and may make it very hard. We simply do not know (not likely ever will) know what happens behind the scenes.

2 Likes

Nothing from the May list has been fixed yet but it should be added.

2 Likes

I hate that this happened to someone, but it needs to be addressed ASAP.
At least with an Android phone you can do a remote erase.
I am glad I never got rid of my POE cameras and onsite recording.

2 Likes

I have expressed this to Wyze with no reply from them. As like most issues they seem to ignore them until it becomes a huge issue or gets reported to the wrong people. I have sent this to some security tech teams to look into. You will hear about it soon.

1 Like

I certainly agree that it won’t be a sunny afternoon in the park, but it might not be too horrible.

Here’s the flow that I imagine:

User contacts Wyze and reports the crime and need to recover possible evidence

Wyze rises to the challenge to save the day and prove that they care about their customers.

Wyze pulls up user account with list of associated MAC addresses

( I am assuming all cams are identified a data pair - user account + MAC)

( I am assuming that Wyze has some good database tools at their disposal in the programming department )

Wyze locates the one or more MAC addresses that were recently removed and reregistered

Wyze freezes that MAC address paired with the new user to thwart thief, or steers LEO the location indicated by the IP address if it’s a lotta cams

Wyze reactivates the MAC address entries paired with the original user ( or creates a new dummy MAC, applies it to the orphaned cam clips, and pairs it with the original user account )

User reopens app and can see the old cloud event clips once again

The event clips will expire out after a normal period, so user needs to copy important ones off quickly.

That MAC address can sit there forever just like any other dead camera. Or the use can delete it after the 14 days. It shouldn’t cause any issues in either event.

But yeah, this :arrow_up:

I think that they can - just have to know / find the date where the footage exists. I vaguely remember encountering this feature when pulling old cams out the the box to reuse on different projects.

Well, that’s encouraging… :roll_eyes:

Definite nice feature.
With organized burglary gangs using WiFi jammers and drones to case entry points, POE is way to go for high end for sure.

Now we’re talking! :grin:

3 Likes

Was one of them security@wyze.com? via email If not they will just say you never told them about the issue.
And of course everything that gets posted here shows up on a Google search sooner or later.

2 Likes