Standalone Solar Powered Mailbox

So, here is my mailbox update… My WyzeCam died after nearly two years of punishment in FL weather. Pretty admirable considering it was not designed to be used outside. I had originally designed the solar electrical system to power a single camera with an AGM battery. When the camera died, I decided to upgrade the battery to LifePo4 to get nearly double the useable capacity. I had to change my charge controller to accommodate the new battery as well. Since I doubled my capacity, I decided to add an additional camera so I can see both directions up and down my street now. I also moved the cameras from the front to the back so it looks a bit better from the street view.

I am testing now to determine if I have enough capacity for a day or two of bad weather, etc. If not, I am contemplating surrounding it with a plant bed and integrating two additional ground mounted 25 watt panels hidden somewhat by small plants, etc… This will allow for a quicker charge/recovery time when I have bad weather for a few days. I just installed the new battery, etc. last night so i still have some wire routing from the cameras to clean up and I’m going to put a slat over them to protect them from the harsh FL

sun and rain.

It has been an experience and I have loved the capability to use the camera at street level. My neighbor even asked me to turn it on his house when he had a roof installed. I time lapsed a video for him so he could see the progress when he was working. As I continue to upgrade, Ill post here in case anyone is interested or has questions.

2 Likes