Stand alone Wyze Sense Bridge

It sure would be cool if the dev team has found a way to make the sense bridge we already have become a stand alone bridge but either way is great :slight_smile:

Making the smart plugs double as bridges would be a much cleaner solution.

2 Likes

That’s how certain Certain zwave things are. Switches and thermostat act as a bridge or repeater to help bring in all devices with a mesh network.

1 Like

Yes v2 of Wyze Plug to be part of the Mesh Network would make so much sense!

1 Like

Being that the range for the Wyze Sense bridge is 30-feet or so, it would be nice if there was an outlet based, no camera, hub to use for areas where we would like Wyze Sense to be reach, but have no need for a camera in the area.

I’m thinking, either a smart outlet that can be used as the bridge or a plug-in for the wall that the existing bridge can use.

With my current living situation, what I have works, but moving forward, I want to have the flexibility of where my bridge(s) go. Not sure if anyone else has a need for something like this.

3 Likes

I think the problem with that is it would be difficult to make it much cheaper than a $20 camera, and how many would buy it…

I am not a fan of HomeAssistant, which does support the Wyze Sense Bridge running on a Pi. HA is bloated and runs slow on anything less than a Pi3. The WyzesensePy code, however with a simple mod adding the PyCurl library has proved to be an excellent standalone bridge for the Wyze Sense hub. I run mine with 10 sensors paired on an old Pi2 and use the PyCurl to feed IFTTT recipes for cloud usage. It has been running now for at least 6 months without a hiccup (except for one power supply fail on the Pi). In fact the program is so lite weight, I can run it on a Pi combined with my Plex server as well as my NAS unit.

1 Like

I wasn’t thinking as a way to bridge all the cameras. I was thinking as a way to have a Sense Bridge without a camera. However, the idea of being able to bridge all the products to a hub instead of all independent is a thought.

As to the stand alone bridge for Sense devices, I feel like it would benefit some who like other cameras, but want a cheap sensing solution. Or they have Wyze outlets and want sensing control.

This topic shows as “in development” so something is coming.

1 Like

@UserCustomerGwen with the recent announcements for a Wyze Sense2 line and home monitoring service, it would seem an external sense bridge might be part of this effort. When do you expect beta testing be opened up for testing that new product line? Will it be posted in this thread or another thread to keep an eye. I have so much now invested in Wyze sense door sensors and motion sensors, i would love to participate.

2 Likes

You’re correct, @barrygabler! I don’t know when testing will open up but we will probably post here if there are any specific criteria we need for the testing that isn’t already covered in the general application form. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@UserCustomerGwen is it possible that if there is a a stand alone bridge that it could be something that bridges all Wyze products? I have 3 cameras and Wyze Sense currently and so far everything has been great. However, I have a different product for lighting. I recently replaced my router and noticed how much easier the switch would have been if I had a hub based system instead of all wireless. I understand that having such a hub/bridge would additional man hours to produce and support and add cost, but the convenience of being able to connect to a central point and then a hardline connection to the router would be worth it. I understand that not everyone likes having several different hubs/bridges taking up space on the router and electrical outlets. However, one bridge to rule them all for Wyze products might be a selling point. Could also give way to being able to store camera data in one spot rather than individual or on the cloud.

4 Likes

I don’t think that the one we’re currently working on is able to do that but I know we’re having this as a larger conversation at Wyze. Thanks for bringing it up! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

From the V3 FAQ, a standalone Wyze Sense bridge is coming soon!

Screenshot_20201027-112725_Chrome

6 Likes

Nice find, good to hear.

1 Like

i’m ready!

1 Like

Whatever came of the concept of a stand-alone bridge for use of motion and switches? I don’t have a need for a sprinkler controller nor a smart lock nor a scale - but I could definitely make use of a bridge. I already own plenty of bulbs, 5 cams, and some left-over switches and motion detectors from gifts to others who didn’t make use of all… so please tell me where that idea stands.

Thx! Jim

the stand alone bridge is coming, sounds like it may be soon.

1 Like

Yes, its in the guise of the new home monitoring system which basically makes all sense version 1 sensors obsolete. wyze sucks because despite the sensors being less than 2 years old since introduction, they have or will stop supporting it. you can’t even buy any more.

Its a dead issue now that we have the new home security monitoring service.