Stand alone Wyze Sense Bridge

Hi OhioTim,

There is a #wishlist item you can vote for to encourage Wyze to look at that. It’s here: Stand alone Wyze Sense Bridge

Yes, my comment is in that thread… which you replied to, and which your link takes you right back to my comment… Not sure what your getting at.

That’s odd, I thought I was replying to a comment in another thread on the same topic. Sorry for the confusion I got my wires crossed somewhere.

Make a bridge that simply plugged into a wall outlet and not into the back of a cam. One of my bridges I have is plugged into a cam the is just looking at a blank wall - I have no use for a cam at that location but have to have one there just for the bridge.
Would make for less clutter.

1 Like

Wyze makes more money selling the basic kit with the bridge and two switches with bridge. But, that’s fairly cheap - but would certainly be better for those of us who already own plenty of their gadgets!

1 Like

Just wanted to let you all know that we are working on a stand alone bridge. Not quite ready to give out too many details (cause they’re still changing), but the high-level goal is to build a Sense Bridge that can plug directly into an outlet.

17 Likes

Thanks for the update Mike. Any need for a beta tester? :0)

1 Like

I’ll grab one of these as soon as it’s available. Been having too many problems with a camera that’s right on the edge of the range for stuff across the house.

1 Like

Thanks for the update, looking forward to it.

4 Likes

A common issue I have is that many Wyze contact and motion sensors are slightly away from the Wyze cam that’s connected to the bridge. It’ll be good for Wyze to make a hub that can directly talk to WiFi instead of using the camera.

1 Like

Good to know that Wyze is thinking about this. Also, it might be helpful to make this available as a sole product offering as well , maybe in addition to bundling this with Wyze sensor kits. Many of us who have already bought sense kits wouldn’t find it necessary to purchase another kit only for the hub.

2 Likes

I’d like to buy a bridge by itself so I can just get motion sensors. I have no need for the door sensors so I don’t want to buy the bundle multiple times to get the bridge and motion sensors.

I have a bunch of cameras. I use them at my home and my business for security, but also for monitoring various projects or machinery. Both home and business have several wireless access points primarily for camera coverage. However, because the sensors use their own signals their usefulness is very limited.

My only option is to not use sensors or buy a bunch of starter kits. I don’t want or need contact switches. So a stand alone bridge would be great, but just being able to buy the current camera bridge without the contact switches would be a huge step forward.

3 Likes

A standalone bridge will be an excellent product addition!
That would enable us to still use sensors while cameras are switched off.
@UserCustomerGwen announced a few days ago that we can expect integration with SmartThings which is great news. Will the bridge also be integrated with ST?

I use 6 ft USB cable to extend the bridge from the camera to improve reception for other sensors. But still need stand alone bridge due to length of house, with no need for purchase of needles cam.

1 Like

Too early for me to have details like that yet. :slight_smile:

@mike.s it works be nice if a stand alone sense bridge could be powered by the Outdoor cam base station. Don’t want to have hubs/bridges all over ha. Sense bridge, lock hub, and coming soon cam base station.

1 Like

I’ve been running Wyzesense.py as a standalone bridge on a Raspberry PI for the sensors. I’m not a fan of homeassistant that uses this module, so I modified the python script to generate messages to my standalone home monitoring system. The Wyzesense.py implements pairing, unparing and monitoring capabilities and was easy to modify. My wyze cam is mounted outside, so the camera/hub combination was impractical. The Pi implementation is cheap, reliable and, I think, what you guys are looking for in a hub.

2 Likes

Check out my post using a Raspberry Pi and Wyzesense.py implementation. It might be what you are looking for, and it works! I’ve been using it on my homebrew system for about 4 months.

1 Like

Any further details/guidance on how this can be implemented would be much appreciated