Solar Panel Issue

Just received the solar panel for my outdoor camera. Followed the instructions and its active on the app for the camera. I dont see much charging. Its been 4 days and battery level has not moved.

That setting does not sense the solar panel, it is you telling the app that a solar panel is attached. Keeps the WOC from waking up when voltage is applied, which helps battery efficiency as that may happen many times as the sun fades.

If you are un a clouded environment, this may happen. Wait for a sunny day. With the solar panel you only need 1 or 2 sunny days over a period of months to keep the WOC charged. :slight_smile:

If you have sunny days, then you may have to contact Wyze for a replacement.

I purchased 3 solar panels and the add-on insurance 3 weeks ago. Followed all instructions: fully charged cameras and fully charged panels…to date NOT ONE PANEL has maintained a charge that would indicate they are working. I am in Phoenix, AZ and we have no issues with sunlight so not the problem. The battery levels are what I would consider the same as BEFORE attaching to a solar panel. I’m used to the Ring camera panel and it keeps the cameras fully charged all the time! I have swapped panels and even bought a new outdoor cam last week thinking it might be the age of my outdoor cams (slightly longer than a year) but at this point, I think they are a waste.

What charge levels do you see? Depending on use (or cloud cover in other parts of the country) they may not hold at 100%. Do you use the cams for live viewing?

66% - 63%, I pulled one panel off so this is for two of the cameras. When you say live view are you referring to streaming? If so, no I don’t stream but will occasionally view the camera live.

Also should have mentioned the battery levels continue to drop just as if the camera was not hooked into the solar panel.

Yes, live view = streaming. You can also do scheduled recording. Both take a lot of power.

Whereas the Solar Panel is overkill for keeping a Outdoor Camera charged under normal conditions (a sunny day or two every couple of months is all that is needed), it is not capable of running an Outdoor Camera in live view or recording more than an hour or two a day.

Exceed that, and the battery will continually fall behind on charging.

Does that sound possible here? Are you viewing the camera much every day?

Nope, not viewing but maybe once or twice and that’s not every day. As for scheduled recording, there is motion detection recording but again, the battery decline rate is/was the same before the panel and I would expect the value of the panel would be to decrease that drain.

That sounds like a possible defective panel, all right. If you have a USB voltage checker you could see if there is voltage when the panel is in the sun, but you should probably contact Wyze to see about a replacement:

Customer Support

There are many ways to contact Wyze. Their phone number is (206) 339-9646, or you can chat with an agent or create a ticket on the support site.

They’re open for support between 4 am-8 pm PT Monday through Friday, and 8 am-4 pm PT Saturday.