SmartThings Integration

I really hope you do consider to include Cameras in Matter as the are extremely important to work with devices and dashboards in a Smarthome Security set-up. Especially when using a dashboard and to work with lighting…

2 Likes

There is not a Matter chip as Matter is a purely software based solution but some of the chips are optimized for Matter or in the case of ESP32 have the SDK compiled and tested as part of the Matter development process.
The only requirement that Matter is putting in place is that the device should be supporting IPv6 and (optionally) Bluetooth for provisioning. So there are a lot of devices that are meeting that criteria. But since Matter is still under development, we have no idea the memory size that will be required, the amount of compute that will be required too, which makes predicting which existing devices to be compatible near impossible.
So specifically on the camera v3, I’m pretty confident that we have the amount of compute. I’m not about the amount of flash memory that we have and I don’t know how much work it will take to get Matter working with the ingenic T31X and last I don’t know how much it will take to make sure that we are not breaking any of the integration that we have with the Wyze ecosystem and the support for WebRTC. We are just too early to answer that.

7 Likes

I’ve been following that thread from day 1 and I happened also to be a (light) SmartThings users ever since Wink decided to mock with what they had… :blush:

6 Likes

Someone needs to buy this man a :beer: :exclamation:
@UserCustomerGwen :point_up: This kind of information, technical detail, transparency and interst in solving the community asks we should see more of. It is awesome!
I would like to nominate @Frederik for employee of the month :1st_place_medal:

Maybe soon we can see a roadmap showing a timeline of the coming quarters with products, services, features, ideas, partnerships, etc headed our way :sunglasses: :pray:

10 Likes

As others have said…thank you for saying something, communication is a great thing.

I came to Wyze (and Smartthings) from Wink.
Wink is a text book case of how not to it.

3 Likes

I sent your nomination for Employee Spotlight in. I agree with you! :heart:

8 Likes

I’m ok with you ditching Waze… as long as you keep your Wyze products. I wanted to have a Waze integration done but might have to pass for the moment. I thought when you say “Go Home” in Waze, it would let your Wyze home know you are coming back and adjust the settings (thermostat, lights…).
:grin:

Joke aside. I hear you.
This is painful to not have that integration with SmartThings. It’s also painful if you are a HomeKit user or if you are a Home Assistant user. For the moment we are committed to have as much integration with Alexa and Google Home as possible and we are way behind on what we can and should be doing.

Now I have to also take the position of the company. We are very resource constrained (ie. money but also engineering body - btw, we are recruiting) and have to make decisions on what is best for the business mid to long term to stay sustainable and not turn all your devices into book holders or door stops. Launching an integration that will last 8 months is not the best investment that we can do because Matter is expected to be available by Q2 2022.
Both Apple and Google have already have beta support for Matter. Samsung has not officially communicated beyond the point that they will be supporting Matter as part of SmartThings. Investing on Matter right now, vs a specific ecosystems now, is equivalent for us in working on the integration of Alexa, Google, Apple, SmartThings and a few others… But it will also potentially allow us to bring more brands into your Wyze ecosystem and make it even more valuable.

As a SmartThing user myself, I would be tempted to say hell with Matter and give us SmartThings now but as an engineer with 30+ years of development experience, 20+ years of SmartHome experience and 10+ years of technology and business management, the opportunities and the threats that Matter is representing cannot be ignored and I would say should be prioritized over anything else.

6 Likes

I completely understand from a business and development perspective not wanting to develop and maintain several separate integrations when there is a potential singular solution on the horizon. From a customer’s perspective, it’s very frustrating this ticket has been open since Nov 2018 with tons of customer demand and we’re only just now getting some insight, and while still much appreciated, the insight seems that its still pretty unsure what products may or may not be supported, what the support may be, or when that may happen, but that it’s a possibility something may happen in the future.

Also when you say “allow us to bring more brands into your Wyze ecosystem”, I really hope what you meant to say was “allow Wyze products to integrate with other ecosystems”. I think it would be foolish to try to compete with things like Home Assistant or SmartThings, especially given the tight resource constraints you mentioned.

If there was an official API available, I guarantee you’d already have some very nice integrations with these systems that you’d have had to put zero time or money into developing or maintaining (other than the API itself, which obviously already exists for native support at least). I’d also be able to implement key functionality that’s missing in the native support (like snoozing alerts, or turning on/off alerts based on other smart home inputs, etc).

Personally I’m only focused on camera integration. I’ve already made my purchases for other smart home products elsewhere due to this closed system issue, and stopped purchasing cameras from Wyze other than a few to play around with… but to be honest the products are nice, so would really love to return and let you take some of my money.

4 Likes

Nicely said. I believe Wyze made an error in not supporting SmartThings when they had the time three years go. And as for resource shortages, then stop putting effort in new devices we didn’t ask for, like night lights, an RC car and vacuum cleaners. Priorities folks! I know you need to make a profit, but this is ridiculous.

Now would be a good time to focus on your users and work on the open user requirements. Indeed, I think we should have a clear roadmap for what user requirements WILL be implemented and when. And for goodness sake, if you ar not going to support something, then say that! It’s pointless users updating Beta forums, etc, when you have no intent of doing it.

Please improve user communication. Now you have a smart wall switch, can we get one with dimmer and fan functionality? Or are we working on an automated bird feeder and robot cat?

5 Likes

Let’s not give them any more wild ideas. :grin:

Not supporting SmartThings earlier might be seen as a mistake BUT we did not have the engineering resources to develop and support a third integration and we had already difficulty to keep up with Alexa and Google Home. If we had picked a 3rd ecosystem, we would have selected HomeKit over anything else because it has also no cloud cost for us and it would have been using the firmware engineers instead of cloud engineers, which would be more cost efficient for Wyze and also would yield a higher ROI from a business point of view since the market penetration of HomeKit is higher than SmartThings.
I also talked to Samsung about a two way integrations but it never landed where we both wanted so we did not proceed on it.

5 Likes

@UserCustomerGwen [Update 4/9/20] Why even make this statement? Being “SUPER stoked” about something, prematurely giving hope to people who are looking for exactly this thing (regardless if you put in the standard “no promises” disclosure). I understand you meant well but still a rookie mistake to string many of us along for all these years. @ WyzeFrederik adding to this conversation isn’t helping. While he is shedding some light on the inner workings of this process, it comes across as just a sophisticated excuse not to make good on an expectation. And the jokes about someone spelling Wyze wrong [waze], are not a good look. Know your audience. These people are pissed. You have loyal customers who have been following and eagerly awaiting this integration.

Sure and device / cloud / app engineers are also very different. But from a consumer perspective, Wyze has dumped time and energy and money into features and products no one asked for and the market doesn’t need, while ignoring features and integrations that have been requested.

As others have said, Wyze should have ignore the direct integrations initially and enabled a public API. Let the community do the integration work for you and then work on releasing your own “official integrations” for Google, HomeKt and Alexa. Hell you may find new talent that way and just buy their work/code, refactor and QC it and get a jump start.

Ignoring your community (both those who want to buy from you and those who want to do some of the work for you) is a stupid business move. You’re a low-cost product that is primed for both hobbyists and home users but you’re completely ignoring the hobbyist side of the market (which generally have time and disposable income).

By releasing so many products and struggling to implement new features, it looks like your company is floundering with no clear direction ( business wise or tech wise). Putting all your eggs in the Matter basket at least is a direction but if Mtter doesn’t turn out what you think or want (or worse what your customers think and want) you guys have just f**ked yourselves.

Get some talent and dive into that API and get it refactored and opened up. Then move to HomeKit/Matter support.

Anyways, kudos to the open conversation. This is seriously the type of employees and direct dialogue that Wyze needed four years ago.

Honestly from some of the YouTube videos you guys out out, it seems like the core founders are college students who thing they know what their customers want more than the customers do. That has been the pitfall of many companies.

1 Like

You would have selected HomeKit integration over SmartThings? Wrong answer!
HomeKit wishlist vote count: 1479
SmartThings wishlist vote count: 1801
Not listening to your customers requests, Wyze generated these polls to get a feel for our interest. We didn’t poll ourselves. Obviously that isn’t the only factor but it can’t be outright rejected. This is a beta-testing geek army who’s loyalty will only sustain if it is reciprocated.

What’s the problem with this picture?

4 Likes

SmartThings forum: Wyze Device SDK - Possible Integrations

GitHub Wyze-SDK: GitHub - shauntarves/wyze-sdk: A modern Python client for controlling Wyze devices.

Is this an active effort?

1 Like

@natesc0tt - you hit the nail on the head. If you’re choosing to rollout HomeKit or SmartThings integration… HomeKit requires certain bars to meet by Apple and a high-level of quality expectation from Apple users (it needs to “just work”).

SmartThings users are used to things not working just right and needing to be poked at and played with. They’re used to looking to forms, troubleshooting, redeploying, and trying again.

Given Wyze’s history with quality control, you’d think they’d want to rollout changes to a community that is forgiving first and not one that is unforgiving. It is a show of how much Wyze actually understands about their user community.

The sooner Wyze’s founders get down off their high horses and start listening to, and engaging with, the community, the sooner Wyze will start realizing their actual potential and not just floundering with barely enough talent to keep the lights on.

1 Like

Great discussion. Just picked up 2 Wize products today. Will be returning them tomorrow. I’ll find another brand that already works with smarthings. There are already a ton out there.

2 Likes

I for one am sick of waiting and have over the past couple of months upgraded lights and switches and even doorbells and locks and found myself wishing Wyze worked with Smartthings and then went ahead and purchased several non-wyze products that I would have otherwise bought from Wyze.

I am still holding out hope but as I proceed to further build out my smarthome it looks like Wyze is being left as a forethought…

2 Likes

They are not doing SmartThings :frowning:. They missed the boat, and now are going for it’s successor. So we wait, and wait, and then need all new devices.

This company needs a better IT manager who can make strategic decisions and not just keep pumping out new stuff.

I wish I had not invested now.

3 Likes

I would use a lot of Wyze products (home monitoring system, etc) if it were Smartthings compatible. Or, at least zwave or zigbee compatible.

2 Likes