Smart Plug timer/schedule in plug, set with app

Issue found with smart plug. Trying to resolve this problem: Mobility chair stored in detached garage 160 ft away from closest WiFi access point. Want to use plug to turn the charger off after 10 to 12 hours of charging time. Many times the off time is 2 to 4AM. My garage door has to be open for the smart plug to have a strong enough WiFi connection to turn the switch off. Due to the wildlife where I live, the garage door needs to be closed overnight and I do like to sleep. I also have balance issues and really don’t want to be walking out to the garage in the middle of the night, let alone during the winter months.

I would like to be able to set the timer or schedule using the app and WiFi connection and then actually have the timer/schedule work in the plug and not from the app and WiFi network once set.

[Mod edit] moved from Wishlist to appropriate catagory for assistance.

Have you tried using rules?

If I understand correctly, you want the Wyze plug to actuate a schedule when offline. Wyze plugs don’t have any kind of internal clock and depend on the wifi connection for this information, so this will not be possible.

Is there any way you can add a wifi extender between your wifi router and the garage, but closer to the garage? I think that’s going to be your only solution to this dilemma. You may want to search for brands of wifi extenders that provide the strongest signal.

Another option might be to try to relocate the plug (using extension cords as necessary) to a point in the garage that has a stronger wifi signal even with the door closed. This might be a window or the wall closest to the house.

You won’t be able to turn the plug off after it has been on for 10 to 12 hours without setting up a Rule and depending on the WiFi connection to trigger it Off, but you can set a static schedule that will turn the plug off at a specific time, provided you have the right plug.

Wyze has made three versions of the Wyze Plug. The first version of the plug, the pre-2021 model, which does not have a CFH Key logo on the back, does not possess any onboard scheduling function. All schedules must be handled thru Rules which do require a WiFi Internet connection.

The 2021 and 2022 models, which have a CFH Key logo on the back, do have onboard static time scheduling features that are saved on the plug’s chip and are executed locally on the plug even if the WiFi signal has been lost.

For the 2021 and 2022 models, plug them into the intended outlet with the Garage Door open so they have good WiFi, program the schedule thru the app by entering the Plug Settings → Schedules, and enter the Turn On and Turn Off times. When you close the Garage Door and the WiFi signal drops, the plug will still execute the schedule.

I recommend using a 2022 model. It has the addition of an overheat circuit and logic that will shut down the plug and notify you if the plug gets too hot from the power draw or environment.

2 Likes