Share your Mounting Options [Edited]

Has anyone found or created mounts for the Wyze Cam? I found some on Thingiverse for a different brand. But I thought it may be nice to put this out there so we can all share what we have found or created.

Thanks,

John

P.S. I hope this doesn’t break any rules, here is what I have found so far…

nice find, thank you op!

Well I received my new V2 and I was worried they may change the way the base is connected. I was working on multiple designs that basically fit around the WyzeCam, but I really wasn’t happy with it. So I removed the base, it is very easy to do, just take out the screw. The problem is that screw is very small, it is either a 1/72 or M1.6, either of which was available in the right length. So I removed the two chrome spacers on each side and that solved the problem. You can now reuse their screw and this new mount.

I have uploaded the “WyzeCam - GoPro” adapter to Thingiverse but I am still working on modifications for the wall mount. But I wanted to share what I have so far…

I will work on the wall mount this week, also waiting for my White Filament to arrive. I also want to make a wall plate that hangs from the ceiling, this could then support up to 4 cameras (btw, I realized that I forgot to put a hole in the center of the plate for the power cable, was in too big of a hurry). Hope this helps!!

I will post once I have the other ones uploaded to Thingiverse if anyone is interested.

Thanks, John

3 Likes

Here is a wall mount I am working on… still needs a couple of modifications, then I will post it to Thingiverse. Hope you like it…

1 Like

For you wall hangers out there, I updated the wall mount and posted it to Thingiverse. Here is the link…

I made it wider and move the screws out to make it easier to screw in once attached to the camera. I have also shortened the front and raised the post to allow the camera to tilt farther. Remember you have to remove the base and pull out the chrome inserts (very easy to do) so you can reuse the screw they provide.

Here are some pictures…

WyzeCam-Wall-Mount.jpg

Ok, I realize that not everyone has a 3d printer… so I am hoping they can rename this thread to something like “Share your Mounting Options”. Yes it is very nice that it has a magnet on the bottom and you can stick it anywhere then move it when you want. For the most part the majority of my cameras are permanently mounted (to the extent that I don’t want them to fall) so I designed a few mounts but I realize that doesn’t work for everyone. Hence, he is one just about anyone can take advantage of.

I bought this metal strap an Lowes in the drawers where the screws are located. It is called a"Hillman 4.5-in Wood-to-Wood Mending Plate". The only thing you need to do is cut down (or grind, it is much easier) and round off the ends so they are so big. Remove the screw that holds the base on, you can leave the chrome inserts in, bend it like shown and then put the screw back in and tighten it up. Now you can mount with a wood screw…

Once you remove that base the options are almost limitless…hope that gives others some ideas on how to mount the camera where ever you want without using double sided tape or putting screws through the plastic base. The nice thing is, you can always put the plastic base back on in the future. :slight_smile:

IMG_2361.jpg

John,

You are quite creative. And it sounds like you have a maker background.

I think you are correct about not many of the people on the forum having 3D printers. There is at least one other https://www.wyzecam.com/forums/topic/mounting-options/#post-69343 and probably more.

The GoPro camera adapter wins my vote, because that opens up many mounting options. The echo dot holder looked like you put quite a bit of work into, it appears to allow the dot to “snap in”. https://www.wyzecam.com/forums/topic/poll-what-are-you-using-wyze-cam-for/#post-123108

There is a thread https://www.wyzecam.com/forums/topic/where-are-you-mounting-your-wyzecams/ that you may want to put a link to this thread. That may help people find your thread. Maybe one in the “mounting-options” thread above too.

Oh, and when you paste the thread link in, use the “insert link” tool above the editing box. It is the one that looks similar to a paper clip. Otherwise the post can display it poorly.

Thanks BuckEye,

I have to admit I did not do the original design of the Echo Mount, the person that did was very nice and redid it to my specifications and it worked very well. He did a really great job.

I figured the GoPro mount adapter would open it up to many different mounting options. Of course the camera is not meant to be a high endurance camera but you could still use their mounts for stationary purposes. And thanks for the tip for posting links… I will do that going forward.

At least this time I didn’t forget to put the hole in middle of the plate :slight_smile: I plan on mounting this on the ceiling in the hallway so I can see both directions. I wondering if I could fit 3 cameras if I slide the 2 at the end all the way over and then put the 3rd in the middle on the opposite side?

Anyway hope you like it…

John

IMG_2372.jpg

IMG_2370.jpg

1 Like

I wanted to see if I could fit 4 cameras on plate by putting them on the corners. I only have 2 cameras right now, I have another 6 arriving on Monday, but this is how it looks with 2. Looks like 4 would fit fine.

IMG_2374.jpg

IMG_2373.jpg

There is a bird nest outside our front window, I taped the magnet to the window using packing tape that is clear and then put the camera on it upside down and flush with the window. It has stayed there for days. Also if upside down change it to 180, it is on window that way as it seemed top heavy and since it is on window I didn’t want it crashing off of it.

That’s great Pool, the objective is to get creative… how is it holding up? Also, any great pictures of the bird’s nest?

It is holding up great, for over two weeks now!

Unfortunately, since the bird is pretty sketchy if I go out onto the 
front porch the bird has a fit and leaves the nest. Since I didn't
notice the construction of this nest, I am not sure how to get this 
camera in better range.

So, I have mid level of street and then the eve of the nest area 
which is off to the right and it looks like a dark mass but that is
the nest.

I could tape this to the outside of the window as it holds to well, not
sure if someone would leave with it...guess I could see them take it!
Usually no one is wandering around, it seems ...knock on wood...safe neighborhood.

Also I had it to catch movement, but the way I have it on the window, the leaves of the trees set it off all day.
If this were set up much further, you could have it set for movement and get really cool pictures of the nesting
birds coming and going and the babies.....

Just ran across this and thought I would share it… a 25ft USB cable for under $10

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0763358FV/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvpv2_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=2708083022714283574&pd_rd_wg=F6qlM&pf_rd_r=3V786VGF1HE1ENHQ9JWJ&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-bottom-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B0763358FV&pd_rd_w=aK1hZ&pf_rd_i=usb+power+cable&pd_rd_r=bbcccc6f-4141-487c-88d0-7e3f658524d1&ie=UTF8&qid=1525797665&sr=1

Of course there are also extension cables out there as well that you can add to your existing power cord. Keep in mind, we don’t have to be concerned about USB specs for cable length, we aren’t transferring data just power. But there is a limit to how long you can run the cord. I have two cable runs that are about 100+ feet and I am seeing some issues with power. I definitely can’t piggy back a second camera off those, just not enough juice.

Hope that helps,

John

1 Like

That’s the same cord I used to hook mine up on the front porch. Works great and the price can’t be beat.

That is awesome Iris, that is really good to know. Thank you for sharing

With regards to the 3D printable “birdhouse” cover for the WyzeCam, how exactly does the camera stay in place inside the cover? Correct me if I’m wrong, but it looks like if the WyzeCam were tilted forwards/down that it would just slip right out of the case. Is there some sort of lip or ledge to prevent this?

There is an improved, updated version of the 3D printed enclosure that is linked to in the first post. It adds features like making the cutout big enough for the USB daisy-chain port (the original 3D birdhouse had a cutout that exposed the USB port but not completely); An additional port cover that works great to further weatherize the enclosure; And a cutout in the mount for the Wyze magnet which I’ve found does a great job of holding the camera in the mount. No need for any adhesive to hold the Wyze magnet in the mount…it pops in and holds by friction.

Link and comments from the designer are below. I think he did a great job of improving upon the original designs. Credits to all of them!

I remixed this from the two listed sources.

Wall Mount:

Two types: 1) for vinyl siding 2) for everything else
added weep holes for drainage
added spot to insert metal plate for magnetic mount to add stability
added screw holes
The wall mount can be mounted with double sided tape or screws, or to vinyl siding.

Camera Cover:

enlarged hole in back to accommodate USB daisy chain
added insert to improve weather proofing

Has anyone tried a dash cam mount? I would like to mount to the front windshield of my car, but without adhesive. I thought about a suction mount but couldn’t find any magnetic ones. Any help?