Say hello to Wyze Sprinkler Controller - 11/17/20

It plugs directly into an outlet using the included power adapter.

2 Likes

Can the Sprinkler use my personal WeatherUnderground weather station data?

We don’t have this in development at this time, but we’re always looking at what’s next!

1 Like

Yup we’ve got you covered! With a fixed schedule you can select exactly which days to water and our Smart Schedule (which decides automatically based on weather) can be restricted to days of the week or even/odd days.

2 Likes

I second this request. I have 12 zones and would love to have been able to use this. Too bad there isn’t one with more zones.

2 Likes

I need 28 stations or the ability to piggy back more than 1 controller.

I currently don’t have any irrigation controller (I manually turn on/off our drip lines ). What other irrigation components do I need to use with the Wyze Sprinkler Controller?

1 Like

I loved the entire thing until I saw this…

Intelligent Weather Skips, Sprinkler plus.

If you put that into the basic features, I’ll buy it.

Rachio has this inherent with no subscription. I have it installed in my mother in laws house and… its the main feature I like about this, and its free.

Move that over and I’m sold.

1 Like

I agree, we need more than 8 valve controls

3 Likes

I just pre-ordered the Wyze sprinkler controller. Can I see the manual for the DIY instructions to plug it into my existing system?
I am new so excuse me if I posted this the wrong way. I am actually trying to get an answer from Wyze. Thanks

Can this unit be mounted outside? In Phoenix with 100+ days over 110 degrees. And an occasional monsoon?

I too have ended my streak. I’ve purchased every single Wyze item and used them all. I do have an irrigation system but with 9 zones.

I saw this in the FAQ

“It supports up to 8 zones and can be used with systems that have a master valve or pump relay.”

I asked my irrigation people if mine has a master valve or pump relay and he said no but highly recommended the one a member mentioned previously https://rachio.com/rachio-3/. I currently have a Hunter SCR Plus controller.

I didn’t even think about this being a thing until Wyze came out with this and I saw the Pre Order. So I guess since I don’t have the Wyze option on this one I’ll try out the Rachio.

It’s not weatherproof.

Had me sold but I am wondering how this compares to the Orbit 8-Zone B-hyve Indoor Timer at Home Depot for only ~$30 more that has no subscription fees.

I have an older Rainbird SMT system (8 zones) with a SMT Weather Sensor. My question is around the SMT weather sensor. Will this support that rain sensor? I know there is a weather based scheduling system, but sometimes the internet forecasts might not line up with the hyper local weather and having a rain sensor is a good backup.

Also, living in MN, my irrigation system is shut off for 5 or so months out of the year. For people, like myself, who have companies that come in for system start-up/shut-down how do we allow for those companies to turn on/off and work with the system? Guest/Contractor access?

YIKES! Did you look at the price difference for that?!?! $279.99

VS $49.99

And Wyze is Half the size it looks like. You could probably fit 2 Wyze controllers in the space of one of the others. and for almost a third of the price total. If you need more than 8 zones, I’m sure it works just fine to get a second one…16 ZONES!

Can anyone explain what prevents someone from running 2 Wyze controllers? Seems like a reasonable solution to me…and it’s still cheaper than many others, with Wyze having lots of features.

2 Likes

OK, at $50 for a smart irrigation controller it’s a no brainer. I’ve been using a Blossom (now runs under the Scotts MyGro brand) and have been having problems with it either not watering, or watering too much - I think my controller has somehow been duplicated by being registered under both Blossom and MyGro, but the technical support has been lackadaisical) - so $50 lets me try something new and compare it to the competition.

I second the request that we be able to activate each zone manually - the MyGro app has a ‘Test’ button for each zone that turns it on for 1 minute - this is great for tracking down problems.

Other feature requests - integrate with some smart water meters/monitors. I use a Flume and would welcome a device which integrates with them so that water usage for irrigation is automatically assigned. Also by knowing which zone is running, it could do comparison checks and let you know if a zone is using more water than usual (i.e. has a leak somewhere).

Failing an integration with a smart water monitor, please allow users to download historical usage data - don’t just display it in the app - let it be exportable!

Finally, the weather optimization is a great feature, but there needs to be some transparency about what a ‘regular’ schedule is, and what the ‘amended’ schedule is, along with a timescale for updates/changes. For the MyGro (and another smart controller I had before that) I understand that the forecast was updated overnight, which then adjusted the planned watering. Which means that you have to check the planned watering every morning to see whether you agree, and if not there was no easy way to override. I typically water first thing in the morning, but other people will have certain zones that they may want to water both morning and evening. Make sure the app is clear about when forecasts will update and ‘lock in’ revised schedules, and allow an easy way for an owner to override the revision and just stay with the ‘normal’ schedule if they’d like.

I’d be happy to look at any UI being developed for the app and provide feedback.

Cheers,

Mike

For the price, I would buy 2 units to handle more than 8 zones up to 16 zones.

Does anyone know what the max time per zone is? I foresee other uses :slight_smile:

1 Like

hmmm…interesting question. Contractors often prefer to install their own irrigation controller and is often the type where someone can easily manage it with a specialized local remote controller device so they can activate/deactivate the system without having to physically be where the irrigation timer is or get involved with someone else’s account app.

Yup saw it. Unfortunately I don’t have the choice in this case but I love Wyze so would likely have tried it if I had the option.