RTSP Tips and tricks. Desktop Viewing, Password Protect, Recording, and more

Does anyone know if RTSP works only on WyzeCam v2? Everything I read says “how to make Wyze Cams view-able” but it never specifies which version works? The bullet list from says " * How to upgrade your Wyze Cam camera to enable RTSP" but no where does it seem to say "Only works on v2 of the original Wyzecam as well as the Pan version.

I just want to know if I need to give Wyze more money and if the 10 original Wyze Cams I have are now no longer useful or out of date. Thanks.

Do they still work like they did when you bought them?
Do you read much?
From https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360026245231-Wyze-Cam-RTSP
Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP) is a standard network protocol designed to establish and control media sessions between end points. Due to hardware limitation, RTSP could only be achieved as a separate firmware version for both Wyze Cam v2 and Wyze Cam Pan.

Installed RTSP on Cam v2 today – I watched the live stream in both VLC & IP Camera Viewer 2 (Mac App). IN both cases the quality is quite bad, especially the background, with numerous artifacts & blockiness. Quality is much worse than the live stream in the Wyze Cam IOSF app.

VLC reports H264 - MPEG-4 AVC(part 10) (h264, 1920x1080 pixels, 15 FPS.

I didn’t find any parameters you could tune, like compression rate, codec, resolution, etc.

Is this expected (a bit disappointing after all this waiting for the RTSP support ;-(?

Thanks,

Filip

Orrrr…WYZE could just create a desktop app.

8 Likes

You can run multiple VLC instances, one for each cam… But I wouldn’t use it as my permanent program to view cams…

https://wiki.videolan.org/VLC_HowTo/Play_multiple_instances/

Use ContaCam software, it works…

thank you for the help and instructions on enabling RTSP. However, for the WyzeV2 cam, I did not change the name of the file demo_V2.bin and it worked just fine. (It did not work when I renamed the file demo.bin as instructed.)
In case anyone is as novice as I am and freaking out because the camera up and quit, here’s the long version of my comment : when I downloaded, and extracted the demo file it was already named demo_V2.bin however, following your instructions, I renamed it demo.bin and continued following your instructions however, the camera got caught up at upgrading to the demo.bin file and it stopped altogether. So, I unplugged the camera, removed the SD card, put it back into my computer, deleted the files and reformatted the sd card. then I re-downloaded and extracted the demo_V2.bin but I did not rename it. Then I copied it to the sd card, and continued following your instructions from ‘inserting the sd card into the camera’… everything worked fine from that point on.

1 Like

to use contacam do you have to pay the $10 donation before you can download it? I’m happy to donate if it works…

The way I’ve been doing multiple cam viewing is with an open-source (free) program called iSpy. There is a “grid” view feature that allows you to create a grid of X by X squares. You can then assign each camera to a grid square. Here’s an example:

Now to be fair, the image in the lower left is from an Axis IP camera. I will say that I’m having a heck of a time keeping the Wyze cameras on-line. The RTSP beta firmware isn’t ready for prime time yet. My hope is that Wyze will finish what they started and make the streaming protocol stable. I’ve got (6) Wyze cams total and they are useless unless I can stream them reliably.

As for VLC, you could open a second, third or more instance of the program and adjust the window to simulate a grid by programming a different camera in each occurrence. I’ve tried VLC. It works when the RTSP feeds work, which isn’t very reliably. Good luck.

4 Likes

No, you don’t have to pay $10 to download and use.

If you need extra support then you may want to pay $10.

Is it possible to setup an NVR (I am using BlueIris) to allow control of the Pan Cam’s controls? I would love to be able to control the camera from BI.

2 Likes

I had this thing working fine with Google home, Alexa and RTSP now all of a sudden i can not get anything to work at all but the app , what is going on??
when i ask Alexa to show me the stream it says " the camera isn’t responding"

when i ask google it says “sure, streaming the camera” but it never opens the stream

all this was working just fine a few days ago ,i didn’t change anything it all just stopped working suddenly for no apparent reason

i contacted support, they had me manually reflash the RTSP FW , it didn’t help at all nothing is working still

I have tried everything and this thing still refuses to work.

I unplugged and re-plugged in the camera several times , still not working

manually re-flashed the RTSP FW to the camera , still not working.

I tried unplugging my modem and my router to reboot them , still not working.

All of this was working fine before now all of a sudden it does not work with anything but the app.

i also just setup a band new 4k fire TV stick ,and it doesn’t work on that either’

i have 3 4k fire TV sticks and my Google home hub and they are all not working

and the RTSP stream also not working on PC either

after re flashing the FW and rebooting camera modem and router

Try to force a dead end firmware tree for the developers or use Bluestacks.

2 Likes

Intel i7-7700 z270
GTX-1080
64gb memory
Windows 10 (1809, 17763.557)
BlueStacks V 4 (4.90.0.1046)

1 Like

Same here. Can use the desktop app just like the mobile one. Haven’t had any hang ups yet.

Wyzecam v2 RTSP Blue Iris No Signal error workaround

Problem :

RTSP stream is seemingly randomly dropped by Blue Iris and you are presented with a No Signal error. For me this seems to occur every few hours with no discernible rhyme or reason. When the stream stops so does recording and motion detection. This is bad. I and others have noticed that simply opening the stream in VLC is enough to magically restore the stream in BI. :slight_smile: So… with that in mind I present to you my workaround.

Workaround:

So my work around went like this…

1. Download and install VLC Media Player on to your Blue Iris system.
  2. Open your favorite text editor and add the following line: “rtsp://username:password@192.168.1.35/live” (without quotes). Obviously you will need to change username/password and the IP address to reflect your setup. Then save the file as “cameraname.vlc”. Make sure that it is saved with the correct file extension and that a .txt wasn’t added to the end of your filename.
  3. From BI you want to open the camera settings and navigate to the Watchdog tab, check the “Fire alerts after” checkbox then click on “On loss of signal” and add an action to run a program or script. Then give it the path to your .vlc file we just made.
  4. Now click on “On signal restoration” and add an action to run a program or script. This time we are going to use Window’s taskkill.exe. I am on Windows 10 and the path to it is C:\Windows\System32\taskkill.exe. Verify that it is the same on your machine and enter the path. Then in the “Parameters” box you will put “/f /IM vlc.exe” (no quotes).
  5. Repeat for each Wyzecam in your system.

That’s it. All done. If everything is working properly whenever Watchdog detects the loss of signal which takes about 30 seconds or so, BI will open VLC to the cameras rtsp feed. It will connect and a few moments later the feed will be restored in BI. Watchdog will see the signal has been restored and close VLC for us.

It’s not the most elegant solution, but it is simple and it works for the time being. Fingers crossed that Wyze will get us another firmware update soon that irons out this issue. Good luck!

4 Likes

Hi all:

I have tried to setup RTSP on my camera, failed after many tries.

I followed the instructions very carefully. Renamed the file demo.bin , tried not renaming the file, tried formatting my sd card etc.

I never get the blue light, instead after holding the reset button after pluging the camera I feel and hear a ‘click’ ant the voice saying ‘ready to setup’.

Is there something else I could try ? I only have one camera and one sd card.

Forgot to say: I have the wyse cam v2 and firmware up to date.

Thank you

Make sure you a firmly pressing in the reset button. Also, make sure you are holding it down BEFORE you even plug the USB cable in and then keep it depressed until you see the blue/orange color light. It can be a little tricky the first time you try it.

1 Like

Hi,
Thanks for replying.

I decided to give a new try and it worked . I think that I was not holding the reset button hard enough like you said…

Thank you very much , everything is up and running with vlc. :slight_smile:

2 Likes