RTSP for V3

hello all,

im trying to do the beta version and as of now i am having issue.

1: i download the file and place the demo_wcv3.bin in root of SD card
2: power off camera
3: place SD in slot
4: holding down the “setup” power on camera
5: wait for LED to show purple (does not still holding setup - camera returns to “ready for setup” )
6: reconnect camera to network and try again from Step 4.

it does not work do i need to be on the latest software or does the SD card need to be a certain brand/version?

please any help would do.

First, did you un-zip the file you downloaded? It contains the bin file you need. Second, what OS did you use to copy the file to the SD card? If Windows, you may have an extra extension such as demo_wcv3.bin.bin. Third how large is the SD Card? It probably won’t work if above 32gb. Also make sure it is formatted fat32. Finally, try a different card if you have one, without anything else on it.

hello WildBill,

1: yes i unzip the file, 2: i am using MacOS, 3rd; I 1st tried it with a 256GB SD and it did not work, then i tried with a 16GB same issue. but i had a 32GB and it work fine.

so im assuming with the 256GB was too large and the 16GB might have been a cheap SD that might had issue. once i used the 32GB it work without any issue.

Thank you for getting back to me on this.

2 Likes

I am attempting to install RTSP on my new Wyze cam-v3. I have downloaded the demo_wcv3.bin file and installed it on a new micro sd card. My camera is currently working and connected using the Wyze app (iphone). I unplugged the camera, installed the sd card, plugged in the camera while holding the setup button. It immediately says “ready to connect” and does not install the firmware. Any ideas? I am stumped. The camera does record to the sd card.

[Mod Note]: Your topic was merged for better visibility and consistency in grouping similar posts in order for you to receive timely answers to your questions by the forum community.

Use a different SD card 32gb or smaller.

2 Likes

Thank you! I tried using a 32GB card and it worked the first time. My original attempt was with a 512GB card.

2 Likes

can someone explain what RTSP does for these cameras? i tried googling it, but i’m still lost.

It’s one of those things where if you don’t know or understand what it is, then you don’t need it. :slight_smile:

Quite seriously, its only benefit is if you want to use your cameras with software other than the Wyze app.

1 Like

Exactly what I was wondering! Thanks!

1 Like

RTSP = Real Time Streaming Protocol. It is a standard connection method used to allow you to connect to cameras and other streaming devices. It is non-vendor specific and allows you to connect cameras from various vendors to a single software package for recording and viewing.

From the Wyze perspective, it would allow you to connect the camera to a system running another software application to monitor and record data from the cameras on a local computer. If you don’t need this, you don’t need RTSP.

1 Like

I mean, I can already say, “Alexa, show the front door” and it will appear on my TV. So this would make the V3 Cam more like a traditional security cam and can record to my NAS? Oddly, this is why i opted for Wyze, well, and the price… But RTSP would basically negate the Cam Plus subscription?

My opinion, the only thing holding Wyze back is the slow motion detection times. I’ve had packages delivered, and no video. BUT, RTSP could allow for non-stop recording, so if I was not notified of an Event, I could manually look back over footage, to find the Event, myself?

1 Like

Correct (for manually reviewing footage). I use the BlueIris software with 5 WyzeCams (all RTSP-enabled). The latest RTSP firmware resolved the vanishing cameras issue I had (which I had previously worked around by using a 24 hr timer for each camera and powered each off for an hour per day).

I’d be contributing $$ if Wyze would only set up an RTSP-specific fund so I knew my $$ would be going to that one feature (rather than everything else their cams provide which I’ll never use).

You can do that already if you install an SD card in the camera, or at least most of them. I don’t own a door bell or outdoor camera, but I do know RTSP doesn’t work with either.

1 Like

But can you download footage from the SD card? I don’t think so… You have to take the SD card out to plug into a PC. At least with RTSP and non-stop recording, then I can easily grab footage.

I download using this method:
My 128gb sd cards gives me enough time to go back to use the wyze app to view it in LIVE mode. Select the camera, hit view playback, I go backwards on the timeline to the where I want a copy of what’s been recorded onto the SD card (my record mode is set for continuous & not events). As you start to watch the video, press the record icon, press sound too if you want to hear. Hit Stop button when you are finished, then select Album, pick videos or images, tap on the recorded file & it starts to play, hit pause to stop, then hit share to email the file to yourself.

You can manually go back to your Android phone folders to retrieve these saved files anytime you want. Android folders under:
DCIM/wyze/cam v3/manual/. To Choose image or video folder, then choose the file to share. Sorry I don’t know how to do this on iPhones.

Yes, it’s very manual labor intensive but I get what I need. This is the way I’m getting video footage from the continuously recorded files on my SD card. I’m sure there may be a better way to do this, if anybody else has suggestions please chime in.

2 Likes

The much better way to do this, is to get off the Wyze garbage truck, and buy cameras that run local AI detection, support RTSP natively, and have zero monthly recurring fees.
I settled on Eufy 2K indoor cams, available in standard and pan-tilt flavors for the same or less than Wyze v3 or PanCams, $38 for standard, $45 for pan-tilt, both with local AI, RTSP, alarm siren, and PTZ control over RTSP.

All those wanting stable RTSP have moved off Wyze for important cameras, including myself. As much as I would like supported RTSP on Wyze (in particular v3 because of the night vision) it ain’t gonna happen - there is no money to be made by Wyze going that route; the only money is via cloud service(s). Anyone heard of Office365, Adobe Creative Cloud… do people endlessly complain about these as well because they are paid cloud services. This is the way; wake up.

Personally the Eufy 2K I tested (almost 2 years ago) did not work for me, it had terrible reliability for wifi; I also recall the app would not stream constantly, it would stop and you had to hit play again. Have either of these 2 things changed at all? Does the current 2K Eufy have the starlight sensor? @alanizat does the Eufy RTSP stop working if it loses internet connection? i.e. your power is out, cams go down, power comes back up but internet is out - does RTSP still work? I don’t think that is the case, they also are tied to the cloud, but I could be wrong here.

I still use the W3s with the beta RTSP 1) because of the starlight sensor 2) because they are super small 3)because I can watch in the wyze app the stream that doesn’t stop 4) I can watch them remotely when I’m away.

I also got the EZVIZ C1Cs, which support RTSP “natively - although a weird implementation”, and they are actually quite good. Great quality, but no starlight sensor. Also some reliance on cloud even with RTSP.

Outside the Eufy and EZVIZ, I also tried the TP-Link TAPO, which supports RTSP out of the box, but again no starlight sensor. I didn’t like that it didn’t use the microUSB for power but instead the round jack, otherwise it was alright.

One way or another, you need to compromise. Pretty much the only options are these ones mention for the same sort of performance/options/price.

Disappointing. And now I read about a security flaw that has been
present for years?

Very unfortunate the download files were removed… @wyzeteam

The download link still works. Get it/Save it while you can.

2 Likes