RTSP for V3

How are we looking for getting RTSP on our Cam3’s?

Probably (hopefully) before the year 2025

1 Like

I’m done waiting on Wyze. There are two ways to hack the camera and enable RTSP, there is a way to do it remotely or with a micro sd card. I just did the remote path which is a little trickery but not too difficult if you follow the instructions. So it’s obviously possible and not difficult to implement since someone has already figured out a workaround. Wyze just doesn’t care enough to implement it themselves and release it as a firmware upgrade.

1 Like

The V3 must be hacked. This is absolutely the only way we will ever have RTSP for the V3. WYZE could have released a RTSP firmware 8 months ago and did not. Believe me they will NEVER release a RTSP firmware for the V3. Hacking the V3 is the only way.

You can easily get RTSP working on V3 using TinyCam without any hacking, it has been mentioned many times before

Okay, so your suggestion is to have an Android device running a pay-for app dedicated to providing a bridge to provide functionality that should already be included?

Apparently the TC app will ONLY see the v2 and v3 wyze cams WHEN they are being STREAMED thru the WYZE app because TC asks for WYZE login credentials?

Looks like this Japanese ccompany is hot on the Wyze trails!! I didn’t find any mention of RTSP on that though, did I miss it??

“Designed in the Japan
Made in China”
:slight_smile:

Are you sure about that, I don’t have any issue in TC with either v2s or v3s.
Make sure the password is correct, as well as the account email - for whatever reason I found that when putting in the email there is a space added after the @ sign… when you add the cameras, check this and make the password visible to ensure it’s correct - then just clone that initial camera once working and just change the channel for the other ones…

Yeah that’s not a solution. I’m going to look into it since i have an extra device lying around. Not the best though

The time I’ve spent costs me $$ and with the continued silence from Wyze its apparent the business model doesn’t include RTSP outputs. If I tallied the time and efforts to read all the threads, hack the firmware, add docker wyze bridge to see it fairly usable at best with no audio … I could have bought a $1000 IP fully supported local only CAM from many vendors…I am punting and procuring a better dedicated/supported starlight based sensor 4Mpixel CAM for ~$150 USD. With that I can box up my V3 and post it to OfferUp for someone else to dream of local only Wyze blah… motion detection NVR etc. Money back in my pocket long term with a fully supported local only solution … Cheers to all who have provided so much here…

NO.

Wyze Cam3 is added to TinyCam via the Wyze stream and NOT via RTSP. Please don’t post inaccurate information. RTSP is a protocol, one which the Wyze firmware does NOT support (yet - possibly never?). If you would like to talk about RTSP please first understand what RTSP support is on a camera.

For the record, the developer of TinyCam (Alexey Vasilyev) works for Wyze. For all those thinking, hey, how come this guy figured out how to add Wyze Cams to his app via their own (Wyze) proprietary stream? THAT is how, this is public knowledge if you care to check.

https://tinycammonitor.com/contacts.html
https://lv.linkedin.com/in/avasilyev

The ONLY ways that streams are supported off the WC3 (aside from the Wyze App) are in workarounds.

1. Docker container, see DOCKER-WYZE-BRIDGE
  2. HcIX WyzeHacks - GitHub - HclX/WyzeHacks: Hacks I discovered allowing Wyze camera owners to do customizations
  3. TinyCam(Pro) - via Wyze proprietary stream (with cloud authentication)

*For the record I use #2 above for my DVR. It only allows a single connection to the stream, and it’s not very reliable.
**If you want to use #1 above, you need to uninstall Hyper-V (which I use), from what I read, Hyper-V and Docker don’t play well together on the same system. I didn’t see this in any notes on this installation, but it should be added (if accurate). As a bridge, delays are expected on the feed.
***I also use #3 on my Android mobile devices, works great.

The advantage of having RTSP support in the official WC fw is that you can use it to connect to a DVR/monitor while all functions work normally in the Wyze app.

I see a lot of hateful comments on here against Wyze. Why? You can easily find other alternatives that support RTSP for the same price or cheaper. I have posted these, and I use some of these options - they are definitely more reliable than the WC2 official RTSP implementation, which is garbage.

Wyze uses the “consumption” model to make money; you buy the camera and then pay for a cloud subscription. For those less technical, this is simple and uncomplicated.

Let me give you an example, and I will use iPhone users because in general (from my experience) these users understand very little of what happens behind the scene. Those who are posting here with the workarounds are not the users I’m talking about,

1. Everyday user: On an iPhone you are limited on photo/video storage. If you want more, you just pay for more cloud storage from Apple. Done, easy peasy.
  2. Techie user: Those more technical, will say “hey, I can just get a NAS at home, and use that to store my stuff so I don’t need to pay for cloud storage”. Yes you can.

The Wyze cloud consumption model is for users #1 above. Lots of us #2s who can and like to do our own thing, but that doesn’t make the Wyze company [Mod Edit] or evil because they don’t provide the product with features you want/expect. You bought it, you knew it didn’t support it (if you didn’t know it’s on you - return it), so no need to get hateful.

Like everyone else, I also wish the WC3 will have official RTSP support, as the Wyze app seems to be the only one that will stream the camera without stopping (compared to other products). HOWEVER, even if it’s “in the works” I don’t believe it will happen, and I have bought other product that suits my needs at this time.

If they roll it out, AWESOME.
The WC3 is great in size, in features, in quality especially with the new night vision in colour.
But if RTSP never comes, well hey move on if that’s a deal breaker.

[Mod Note]: Post edited to conform to the Wyze Community Guidelines

1 Like

Hey fwiw I am fairly sure you could spin up a hyper-V VM and as long as the VT tech is enabled in bios it should be able to run docker within that VM instead of your main host. I believe Docker leverages hyper-v on windows anyways so its kind of like running hyper-v within hyper-v which is supported with VT enabled.

To everyone else, they said they would make it, they also said its been moved into testing recently. I am sure they will release it begrudgingly. Just need to wait a bit more.

TC has been able to stream with Wyze credentials long before Oct 2020, so I’m fairly certain that @alexey.vasilyev working for Wyze has nothing to do with TinyCams ability.

That was LAST YEAR…STILL WAITING

Procedure to get wyze Cam v3 to do Streaming without firmware.
This is a work around for Windows 10 users with at least 8Gb memory

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12EsjdTHkye2hXsyRD3qtSekO4tZZ1CgI/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=102741725168898404745&rtpof=true&sd=true

Possibly, I don’t know. I find it interesting that a non-Wyze employee somehow got the API to use in his software? Does Wyze hand those out to any dev that asks, is it an internal thing, or is it reverse engineering? Could be the last, and then Wyze said, “hey, want to work for us since you know our stuff better than we do”? :slight_smile:

reverse engineering…

no doubt they hired Alexey for his talent!

Nested? So spin up a Win10 VM in Hyper-V and then install Docker Desktop in that VM, then run the Wyze bridge container in that? Seems like a lot of overhead. If I had the time I’d play with that, but I don’t and don’t have the need for that. Too bad there is no tool to covert the docker container to a HyperV VM…

" [https://docs.google.com/document/d/12EsjdTHkye2hXsyRD3qtSekO4tZZ1CgI/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=102741725168898404745&rtpof=true&sd=true ]"

…results in Error 401 Unauthorized.

yup… if I give up on waiting for official firmware I can reverse engineer the docker container. The docker container is great as it doesnt require anything be setup. But the very dockerfile will have build steps in it that can be manually done