Record to SD card without the internet/Wifi (offline)

SD recording without wifi

Sneaky criminals keep unplugging my wifi router how can I get my recordings to just go to my SD card even without it being uploaded online.

#patent #NJB

[Mod Edit] Merged with an existing wishlist topic. Give it a vote to help it along!

For clarification, what camera version are you working with, or are requesting this for?

1 Like

Just answer the question toni

1 Like

Offline Recording to SD Card - OG Cameras

I wish the OG Cameras (OG and Tele 3x) could record offline like the v3 Cam. I had an internet outage of about 8 hours and once the connection was restored I checked if the cameras came back online. While checking I noticed that they canā€™t record to the SD card if there is no internet connection.

These cameras are really good to monitor the front of the house and parking spots specially the Tele 3x. I wish to rest assured that even if I get an internet outage in the future the cameras will still record to the SD card while offline.

My Wyze Floodlight Cam (Which is a v3 Cam) recorded all events to the SD card while offline.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Wyze User Community Forum koshin14! :raising_hand_man:

Agree 100%!

One of the great features of the previous Wyze Cams is that they will continue recording to the SD Card even when the WiFi Network they are logged into is removed. So long as they werenā€™t powered down during the outage, they just chugged along saving video to the SD Card.

I had recently considered adding a handful more OG cams to my perimiter. I tried to get a bunch during the most recent flash sale. Good thing they were sold out by the time I got to the payment in checkout!

I just tested this on one of my OG cams. I have the cam on and recording continuous. I blocked the IP to the cam in the router for an hour then unblocked it. No SD Video during that hour. Picked right back up the instant its WiFi was restored.

This is a deal breaker for me. No more OG Cams until it can maintain SD recording if the WiFi or Internet drops.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve posted in forums about this issue and sent ticket to Wyze support ā€¦ this functionality works on CAM v3 but not on OG cameras. How can product function REGRESS to be removed from the product when OG is the replacement for v3 CAMs? I had a choice to buy v3 or OGs but info did not state limiation w OGsā€¦ WYZE wants customers to move to OG (faster processor, less burden on WYZE cloud), yet removing SD CARD recording because internet is DOWN is a SEVERE LIMITATION of the security system.

Iā€™d buy v3 for the capabilityā€¦ but they are no longer available RETAIL.

This needs to be fixed ASAP. Not happy with OG compared to v3 ā€¦ limited functionality, different UI experienceā€¦ what is WYZE doing to invested customers?

:frowning:

Why would you say that,? :thinking: I purchased one from WYZE two days ago on their buy with Prime sale for $31.60 including tax and free delivery so I could have a spare. Or get one from Home Depot and probably other stores

The OG Cams were not designed nor intended to be a replacement for the Flagship V3. The OG was brought to market as an introductory level basic cam. The V3 is an intermediate level cam and the V3Pro is the advanced level cam. All three of these cams are still supported and are still being sold where inventory is available.

Additionally, all the AC Powered cams released after the V3 share a similar updated UI as the OG: OG S, OG T, V3Pro, PanV3, Floodlight Pro.

3 Likes

Because, in Canada, they disappeared from Hime Depot retail store for a period of time and they also became unavailable on the Canadian WYZE store.

This is not a feature wishlist request, it is a SECURITY request. Just because the internet or wifi is down, there is no reason why CAM should be rendered USELESS with no continued local recording to SD CARD. In fact, coding should first store on SD CARD and from there trigger internet results (detection, events, etc) as better memeory and processing management on the CAM.

I absolutely agree that OG cameras need to continue to record to SD while offline. It is truly a SECURITY issue. I believe this changed at the last update. I have several OG cameras installed at a remote location with an intermittent internet connection. I selected the WYZE OG cameras because they had continuous recording to SD, perfect for my limited internet situation. I bought one camera, tested it, then bought several more based on its ability to record to SD when offline. Itā€™s not right that after my investment, the performance is decreased by a update. PLEASE make this an urgent issue to correct this shortcoming.

1 Like

I have been trying for five years to have continuous recording to an SD card without any success. In their first software edition it was included and Wyze ā€˜upgradedā€™ to new software and it was excluded because they want you to subscribe to the cloud where they make more money. I have written, called and posted so many times it isnā€™t funny. I have a remote situation where I canā€™t get a landline and therefore the cameras donā€™t work. I have purchased at least 15 cameras and they are now worthless!!! I now used trail cameras and they work just fine!!! If I put in lithium batteries they last for almost a year. Wyze will not even respond to your SD continous recording, so try what worked for me. Good luck.

Untrue. All Wyze AC Powered Cams with an SD Card slot will record to the SD Card either Continuous or Events out of the box without any subscription, so long as they have internet when they power up. All Wyze Cams require Internet to initialize.

The Outdoor Cams (battery DC powered) operate differently. They cannot record continuously because of the battery conservation logic and limitations. They do, however, record events.

To my knowledge, the OG is the only cam that is incapable of recording to the SD when Internet is subsequently lost.

Correct, butā€¦

Indeed you need the internet to configure the software, HOWEVER, once configured the first software version included with their product could use the cameras with AC without the internet (once configured) and record to the SD card. Apparently, you were not aware of that!!

And so can every AC powered cam they sell except for the OG. Once configured, the Internet is no longer a requirement unless you unplug the cam. If you need the cam to record where there is no internet, install it on a Wireless HotSpot and configure it, take it to your remote location, activate the HotSpot, plug in the cam, let it boot, and walk away with the HotSpot. Problem solved. It will continue to record to the SD so long as it remains plugged in.

But, to say the requirement for the cam to have internet when it boots so that it can load that configuration from your account is ā€œbecause they want you to subscribe to the cloud where they make more moneyā€ is a completely false statement. All cams will record to the SD Card without a subscription. No purchase necessary. And all cams except for the OG will continue to record to the SD Card without internet, provided they are permitted to load their configuration from the Internet on power up.

1 Like

I had to laugh that you said it will record when it is connected to the internet. Indeed it records to the SD card with the internet. Without the internet it will not record. The whole idea is that there isnā€™t any internet within miles, or a hotspot. With the first software version, I could configure the camera where I have the internet. That all goes well. When I unplug the camera and take it to a remove area without the internet, it will not record to the SD card and I get the all mighty yellow light.

Yet you have a smart phone with HotSpot capability in your hand.

It has been done before and there are countless posts confirming it and more users that will confirm it than you can count. I suggest you actually test it, as I have done on every cam version since the V3, and see for yourself.

Allow the cam to boot and start recording continuously to the SD card. Shut down the network or block the Cam in the Router. Confirm that you cannot reach the cam in the app because it has no internet. After some time, restart the Internet to the cam and check the SD Card. You will be surprised what you find, so long as it isnā€™t an OG Cam.

What you are debating here is the fact that the cams need to have internet upon plug in and boot up to load its configuration, not that they canā€™t continue to record to the SD without internet.

There is no cellphone reception at the location. I only have a landline. Hence, the SD card will not record without the internet.

TBH, I wouldnā€™t have tried for 5 years to get an internet cam to work where there isnā€™t any internet or mobile signal. The cams are designed, marketed, and sold as ā€œIPā€ cams.

Perhaps Wyze cams arenā€™t designed to work under your particular use case restrictions.

Maybe CCTV or trail cams would be a better fit. Hope you find something that works for you. Good luck!

The point is that Wyze cams USED to work without the internet and they WERE sold with that in mind in the beginning when I invested heavily into their cameras. They worked great without the internet for a year, or so, till I unfortunately upgraded to their new software which didnā€™t allow the cameras to work without the internet. MY mistake and I didnā€™t realize that Wyze made the change and I notified them repeatedly about the issue to deaf ears. Yes, it all occurred when they started charging per month to the cloud with the internet for their services. Hence, please donā€™t correct someone when you havenā€™t got the facts. However, I do thank you for your interest and possible solution. As of now, the 15 cameras just sit in the drawer.