Real Time Streaming Protocol (RTSP)

TBH I haven’t explicitly tested connecting 2 clients…I have had issues using the stream to generate snapshots and starting a live stream simultaneously…and I thought I read (far) further up in this thread that the camera did not support 2 simultaneous clients so I just assumed that was my problem, I guess maybe I need to dig into what’s going on there a little more. Thanks.

I understand WYZE says this about RTSP:

We don’t have the resources to keep developing two branches of firmware for Wyze Cam v2 and Wyze Cam Pan. At this time, we are not committing to ongoing maintenance for RTSP firmware. We will deliver security updates as needed.

I get this, but guys don’t you realize that your sales would greatly increase if you would?
There are allot of people who really want to use this with RTSP. The current issue with your implementation of RTSP is its so laggy & often with to many dropped frames specifically when it it sees a person or something moving.

Why not either open source the code so those of us who have the time can make it better, or invest in creating a RTSP only firmware so that the device has enough CPU time to handle RTSP properly.

4 Likes

Hi, this seems to be the right thread to ask this, but forgive me if it’s someplace in the two years of discussion already. I looked a bit but couldn’t find my answer.

I’m using Wyze v2 with latest RTSP firmware 4.28.4.41 and Synology Surveillance Station (SS). The issue is that the RTSP feed is always at 1080, even when I change to SD or 360p from within the Wyze app. Regardless of what is selected, RTSP feed shows 1080. There appears to be a problem with SS showing 1080 in Live View, so I’m trying to get the stream to a lower resolution to test out.

Is there any way to accomplish this? I’ve tried making adjustments and restarting cam, but that 1080 persists. Anyone? Thanks in advance.

So, setup simple ReefCam to monitor my reef tank and have been having streaming issues with the Wyze app and/or RTSP.ME provider.

I’m running the WYZE android app within BlueStacks on a PC next to reef tank. Then stream RTSP to RTSP.ME so I can embed on website. It worked for weeks then stopped working; so, switched to iplive cam which appears to work now.

Is there an easier more reliable way to stream a wyze webcam within a blog?

The RTSP feed, to my knowledge, is always rendered at 1080p. The only variable that changes is the frames per second, as daylight renders at 15 fps and night mode renders at 10 fps.

Most software allows you to transcode this to a lower resolution or bitrate but if you are using a direct stream copy, it will always be at 1080p.

Think of RTSP as a broadcast - it doesn’t change based on what you watch it on and there are no settings that you pass to the RTSP broadcaster to change resolution. You receive the broadcast and convert it from there…

Hope this helps.

No there isn’t, the problem lies within the lackluster RTSP implementation that Wyze developers have provided in the firmware. If you’re using the RTSP stream then you will have issues. Consider a different camera that has RTSP support (this Wyze feature is an unsupported feature) out of the box with the standard camera firmware.

Did you ever find out what made it stop working?

I have 12 Wyze cams all streaming via RTSP and the only issue that I stumble on is that sometimes when the camera’s reboot, they pickup the wrong IP address even though there are reservations for it. It seems to default, if it cannot find an IP address lease, to the address that it waa originally set up with when the pairing process occurred (network setup).

Beyond that, most of my streams have not had an issue.

Did the internal IP address change which then made the port forward from your firewall fail?

@ElectroStrong

What firmware are you using on the Wyze cams, .41 or .40.
Are they Wyze Cam 2 or Pans?
Are you recording any of the streams?
If no, how do you know if the streams drop out or not if you’re not recording?

Every user on here running the RTSP firmware on their WyzeCam2 has problems with the RTSP stream, freezing up/dropping.

On the other note, I thought I was going insane. I am seeing this issue with the IPs, ALL other devices will pick up the IP that is reserved for them, except the Wyze cams which sometimes pick up another IP. I am curious if this is a second issue in the firmware with the RTSP feature. I am running .41 on all cams, I may switch .40 on one of them to test, if I have the time…

Interesting. Someone here recently posted that they saw the MAC address changing. It sounded unlikely, but that could explain why your router’s DCHP server granted it a different IP address.

Cam v2; firmware v4.28.4.41, no recording just live steam via RTSP

I periodically test the link or people will ping me why they can’t see the live stream.

Assigned IP lease has been consistent this far so no issue with route through router.

Still trying to figure out what’s going on and had a couple trouble tickets into RTSP dot me

.41 w/ WyzeCam 2.

I’m recording on all 12 devices - 32 GB SD in all of them and then RTSP to Zoneminder and recorded there as well.

I can tell the stream fails in Zoneminder as it tells me, open the Wyze app and see it there and it streams to the app. Check the IP and see it reset to initial config IP address. Reboot camera from Wyze app and it shows back up in Zoneminder.

I reset a bunch of them after this - I setup DHCP reservations on some of the cams after I joined them to the network. On the cams that I didn’t do this on, they never have a disconnect from Zoneminder.

Many IoT devices do this same thing…upon restart if they do not see a DHCP discovery, they will use the initial setup IP address (last good known config). When I redo these it does fix the issue. I’ve left 3 with the old setups but with new DHCP reservations and they are the only cams that disconnect via RTSP but they are still accessible from the Wyze app.

I have had zero drop outs with RTSP feeds after I configured my network to not allow 802.11a/b/g devices (802.11n+) on any router that manages IP video. Before this, I had issues with intermittent disconnects, but not after.

When it happens, you should open the Wyze app and confirm that it streams there…then:

1.) Check the IP address if different you have the “last good known config” issue where it is defaulting to the initial IP address used when you join the device to the network.
2.) If its the same, try to connect to the stream via VLC or FFMpeg - there are examples in this thread that you can try (do this before it happens to verify a working command to avoid a false positive)
3.) If neither works, disable RTSP and re-enable. Save between each action. Disabling should stop the RTSP service on the Wyze Cam and enabling it should start it. Try connectivity tests again.
4.) Finally - reboot the cam from the Wyze app - if it comes back then there’s a chance that your router is losing connectivity from an IP level. Check to see if you can set your router to only accept 802.11n 2.4ghz traffic as the cam may be connecting to a lower standard.

YMMV - but I followed these steps and don’t really have many issues.

Thanks for this @Customer - I’m going to check next time to see if a DHCP request for the cam comes from a different MAC address on one of the 3 that still exhibit the IP address change just to confirm.

Mine don’t exhibit the exact same issue as they always reset to the IP I used during the pairing procedure, but I’d like to eliminate this possibility as well.

1 Like

One of the WC2s I just bought within the last month, is showing:

c8:02:8f:b6:df:70 shows up on access point
2c:aa:8e:9e:90:d1 shows up in Wyze app, and shows up as Nova Electronics on the AP

2 different MAC addresses…

Looks like it’s documented here:
https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360031489471-Why-is-my-Wyze-Cam-showing-a-different-MAC-address-

1 Like

I’m sure this is why the camera grabs a different IP sometimes than the one that is assigned to it. I realize now that I’ve seen this issue with several cameras in the past now that I read that post, and it’s not good
that “for some reason the firmware doesn’t work as it should”.

But the “good” news seems to be that if you dedicate 2 (3?) DHCP reservations to each device you should be covered.

Does this happen only on boot or randomly through the day? If the latter it could explain how erratic my live streaming is.

Right! :slight_smile:
I haven’t noticed it happen randomly, it’s usually on a reboot. At first I thought that it was related to it connecting to a different access point, but if the MAC address switches from one to another, this would definitely trigger a new IP as the reservations are tied to the MAC. Next time it happens, I will see what the mac address is with the different IP, then when it goes back will do the same.

I also noticed that the V1 camera has the same problem with the MAC address; the Wyze app shows one MAC address, the AP shows a different one for the same IP though…

1 Like

I can confirm this - just had it happen on one of my camera’s.

Because you cannot set a hardcoded IP address on the camera, and because upon boot-up of the camera it sometimes does not bind the software MAC address to the device before the device asks for a DHCP address, the camera will switch IP addresses.

It is not related to setup like I initially thought and had experienced.

@UserCustomerGwen - I apologize for pinging you, but is there going to be an RTSP firmware update that will address this issue? There’s no way to assign 2 MAC addresses to 1 IP address from a DHCP server point of view (as it’s invalid) and having 2 streams for one camera is also a pain to manage.