Program for RTSP

I have been having nothing but issues with tinyCam lately, so wanting to go another route. Curious what everyone is using for rtsp?

BlueIris.

I have Blue Iris as my NRV recorder and use Tinycam Pro on an Amazon Fire tablet to display the cameras while I work all day. No problems.

1 Like

Tested VLC briefly and it seems alright but I’m sure there’s better things depending on what you want. For me, I don’t need anything else (and its something I always have installed anyway).

VLC is probably the best all-around tool for this. Take a look at the documentation for tips on how to set up shortcuts for each camera. Over here I’m using motioneye in a container on our home server and then publishing to a web page for everyone to use.

Curious as to how this is working for you. What is your server hardware? How many cameras do you have connected? I found that it was losing connections to the cameras regularly and didn’t work very well.

VLC is trash
nothing but problem , crashes all the time and stupid error popups you can never clear, it’s a [Mod Edit] program not even in an alpha state

MOD NOTE: Post edited to conform to the Community Guidelines.

it VLC is the best I hate to see the worst
VLC SUCKS
it stutters, freezes and drops CONSTANTLY
it put up million error popups , once he stream freezes which is like every 3 god damn minutes you can not reopen it , you have to close VLC and reopen it and then open the stream again and then it will work for a few minutes before crashing again , ad the older version of the RSP FW worked better I Have even more stability problems since “upgrading” to the latest RTSP version
VLC is garbage and not even in a alpha state of development
so many bugs, when I go to open the network stream the pulldown it will not pull down most of the time it starts to pull down then crashers after about 100 tries I can finally get to the URL field
the program will fail to start a lot of the time (windows 8.1 or 10) or iit takes like 10 minutes to launch
and it also will not close, I have to go task manager and shut it down
it frequently locks up my computer too
VLC is an a totally unreliable and unstable POS
there has to be something better than this garbage

VLC is da bomb! :slight_smile: I love it.

I used to run Wyze cameras primarily but have switched mostly to POE Amcrest cameras. Not trying to push Amcrest. It’s just what I found for what I was willing to spend.

So on the Amcrest cams I can stream max res and max frame rate (I have 3x 43" 4K monitors) from 6 cameras and everything is smooth as butter and clear as day. I have had three max streams (that cover the significant areas of the house) running for days without missing a beat.

The Wyze RTSP streaming experience was abysmal though. The main difference was wireless vs wired network. The POE cameras are wired and Wyze is of course wireless. I had a bunch of Wyze cameras going on but I could only watch three at a time. If I watched 4 cameras one would drop out. The video quality was often muddy due to the compression. Good luck getting them to stay connected any time also.

So, what’s the difference? If your Wyze camera “recorded” and event I bet it either stored (or buffered) the video directly to memory or something before shipping it off to the cloud. RTSP is exactly that, real time streaming. If you had “any” wireless network issues your video quality was going to be crap and likely disconnect. I eventually put “alternative” firmware on my Wyze cams and I could put out “much” better video quality via RTSP. 1080p was much improved. But I could run even less streams. With the Wyze I think a large part of people’s problems with VLC and RTSP is simply the wireless network. This would vary with each person based on how far away they are, How much noise your dealing with SNR. What the medium is you are going through and how much of it there is.

My Amcrest cams running on 4k monitors and max everything is like looking out a window. And they will run for days without any pauses or stutter. The load on my CPU for three VLC instances is less than 1% total for all three and on the GPU (graphics card) it’s around 12% since it’s offloading the h.264 decode of the video streams. I used to use Amcrests own program for watching the video streams but it used about 24% cpu and no GPU. In other words it didn’t offload the video stream decode to the dedicated video card hardware meant just for that.

For those running Wyze I’m pretty sure it’s just a marginal wireless connection in combination with how Wyze programmed the compressing settings for their implementation of RTSP.

IMHO of course.

I never had problems with my v3 RTSP and VLC. I have shortcuts to fire up whatever camera I need to see and it works all the time. Make sure to specify the account and password you specified in the Wyze app. In any case, I only use VLC on my laptop when I need to check something. Otherwise I have an Amazon Fire tablet on my desk with Tinycam Pro showing my cameras continuously.

VLC SUCKS
it stutters, freezes and drops CONSTANTLY
it put up million error popups , once he stream freezes which is like every 3 god damn minutes you can not reopen it , you have to close VLC and reopen it and then open the stream again and then it will work for a few minutes before crashing again , ad the older version of the RSP FW worked better I Have even more stability problems since “upgrading” to the latest RTSP version
VLC is garbage and not even in a alpha state of development
so many bugs, when I go to open the network stream the pulldown it will not pull down most of the time it starts to pull down then crashers after about 100 tries I can finally get to the URL field
the program will fail to start a lot of the time (windows 8.1 or 10) or it takes like 10 minutes to launch sometimes
and it also will not close, I have to go task manager and shut it down and
it frequently locks up my computer too
and it does the same crap with some cameras I made with raspberry pi zero w’s
VLC is an a totally unreliable and unstable POS program , it is an out of control diarrhea fire
there has to be something better than this garbage
and the program gets even worse with each successive “update” too
and it is a PITA to update it too
I think it used to be much better circa 2017 than it is now it just seems to keep getting worse