Power Fail Restart?

I admit, I’m a newby to Wyzecam. Is there anyway to get my Wyzecam to restart & reconnect automatically after a power failure? Just noticed that the camera was not on or operational and had to go thru the unplug/replug/reconnect to wifi setup. I don’t have an SDcard inserted. Is there anyway to get this thing to automatically resume when power is restored? Awesome little inexpensive device otherwise.

1 Like

Is this a one time occurrence or every time you unplug it? I’ve got 5 V2’s and they reconnect fine. I have SD cards, but that shouldn’t matter.

This is the very first time it has happened. So now I am wondering what might have been different in my case. I did change out a wifi extender nearby 2 weeks earlier but I see motion detection videos after that. (This time I put it on my Guest network broadcast by my main router…) I checked the windows event log and didn’t see anything else strange that day except the power blackout. Mine also says Wyze Cam v2 on the bottom… So I will just keep a closer eye on it. It does get warm when it is operating. Thanks for letting me know that it SHOULD restart. :slight_smile:

You can test to see if it was a one time event by unplugging the camera, leave it for a minute and plug it back in. It may have been glitches by the power failure voltage variation. It should reconnect automatically and you should not have to set it up anew.

If you see it trying to connect but it will not, try tapping the gear icon, then Reset Device. This occurs over a different comm channel than the live stream and may get you back in business without having to physically touch the camera.

1 Like

That is very handy to know, that camera control is communicated differently than live view.

Thanx,

73’

Tuna

1 Like

Im having the same issue. Everytime my power goes out i have to reconnect the camera, just like when i opened the box. :frowning:
Very frustrating since i bought these for when i go out of town, but now feel i can’t rely on them

2 Likes

Do you mean you have to re-add them in the app? If so, you should not have to do that just because of a power outage. I have actually plugged a camera into a smart plug and set a schedule in the plug for that camera to be on only during certain hours. It reconnects every time. This sounds more like a router issue than a camera issue.

1 Like

I dont see how it would be an router issue, when the power goes out my router/internet is usually working within a few minutes. But i also dont know very much about routers and such.
Whenever the power goes out. I have to reinstalled camera scanning QR code and all.
My phone has all the camera info but says to power cycle the camera. When i do that it says “setup ready”

1 Like

That sounds very odd. If it’s only one camera doing this, I would first recommend trying a factory reset, and then if that doesn’t work then try a firmware flash.

If that doesn’t work , please keep in mind that this forum is primarily a user to user community. If you don’t get a helpful reply here, please file a Support Request. Depending on the nature of the problem, rather than use the website link, it is helpful to submit an App Log and/or a Firmware Log.

Things just got weird. I ran some tests myself and now im more confused.
I tried unpluging the camera for a minute and plugged back in. Everythimg worked fine.
I tired unpluging the routers for a minute and plugged back in. Everthing worked fine.

So now im at a loss. Why would it need a full camera reinstall everytime i have power loss due to weather.

Are you sure it’s the camera acting up, or is it the app? Do you only have the one camera?

Only one camera here. Im pretty sure ita the camera and not the app. When it happens the camera has an orange light instead of blue light. And when you hit the power button on the camera it says ready to connect

Oh! This is starting to make some sense. That is not a power button; that is a setup button. So, if you depress it, you start the setup process. Out of curiousity, how long are you waiting after the power outage to see if the camera reconnects to your WiFi? There’s a chance your router and camera are not syncing up together properly after the power outages. The next time it happens, and you’re sure your router is completely up, I would recommend removing power from the camera for a minute and plug it back in.

1 Like

Ok. Im going to try to next time this happens. Living in Florida power is always going out lol

But it still seems like it will pose an issue if im out of town. As i would be unable to remove power…

1 Like

Anyone who wants to be able to power cycle their cams when they are out of town should buy a smart outlet for the camera, like a WeMo or equiv.

That is actually the only time I have ever lost connectivity with a cam after a power outage – whereas the smart outlet does give you control over the power to the camera from anywhere in the world, a lot of them (maybe all of them?) default to switched off after a power outage. I see that as soon as I run the app, so it’s just a quick flip of the virtual switch to get the cam running again.

I like the remote control over the outlet when I am out of town.

2 Likes

Agreed, I have smartthings and run leviton in wall main connected receptacles.
I know that these can be set to default to last state or off. just an fyi.

1 Like

Just found this thread - thanks all! I was out of town last week and we had nasty wind in our area. This caused a very quick power glitch. When this happens, proven again last week, I lose ALL my WYZE cameras. Every one had to be unplugged/replugged. My Ring and Nest cameras were fine through this! I now have 2 of my cameras on UPS because I was within a fish-able 25 feet to connect with long USB cable. But the other two are not near a UPS and I am not keen on spending 40+ dollars for each camera to be protected.

So… First of all… This is an engineering flaw from Wyze. The NEST and RING devices were fine (and have never done this). Wyze Cameras do this any time we get a quick glitch. Second, if I buy a couple Wyze plugs, can I trust THEM to survive a quick power glitch? If so, I can remotely reset the cameras after a glitch… Will this work? Anyone try?

Thanks!
Tom

Hello @Salzo and welcome to the community.

I do own 6 plugs and have not run into issues with them, I have seen posts from people who do use plugs to remotely reset the cams. I have not tried this because usually mine will recover and come back online. I have had once or twice where 1 of the 15 cams did not come back on but I can usually get to the plug easily to cut power.

Thanks @WyzeJasonJ! Very limited testing looks good! Small investment considering the affordability of these cameras. So 2 of my cameras are protected by UPS and all my others will be protected by a Wyze Plug. Not ideal but not terrible. I’d like to see a “v3” camera with better glitch survival, however. I fear this issue is beyond firmware… but maybe not (?).

Holycow, I spend days troubleshooting this crap. Everytime I disconnect the power, I have to go through the entire setup again. Who design this?

1 Like