Pan 4 Firmware - malicious firmware

MicroSD stopped working with firmware update. Support is as usual - not helpful. Formatted per support for a 128GB samsung EVO u3 card - and the camera will initially see it - and then pop up an error on a bad microsd card. Is wyze building the firmware so you have to use their online subscription? I have been through 3 micro sd cards and all have the same issue on two seperate V4 pan cameras. That is not a defective camera - it’s a malicious firmware update forcing you into a subscription model. Not cool.

The Evo cards are not rated for this use and I’ve found them to be unreliable in the past. That’s all there is to it, you’re choosing the wrong cards (or possibly even counterfeit/fake cards) and they went bad, nobody is making malicious firmware or forcing subscriptions.

Spreading unfounded conspiracy theories. Not cool.

False. Not a theory. Before the firmware update - microSD worked fine. After the firmware update - no way to make any microSD card work. Samsung, Sandisk, MicroCenter, generic, none. Nice try.

Forcing users to use a Wyze card is also malicious software writing that is forcing a subscription. I doubt their own card would work either. Common denominator is the firmware. It was written to block the microSD. Cards do not just go bad like that nor does 4 different brands that work fine in other Wyze cameras.

What in the world are you talking about? There is no requirement to use a Wyze card, in fact they’re just middle of the road cards and there are much better options out there.

If the microSD slot on your cam is broken or there is a bug in the firmware, that’s one thing, but saying they intentionally disabled it is absurd.

I’m currently using Samsung pro endurance in multiple cameras including this model and not seeing the same issue.

Well, it’s a brand new camera v4 and its the same as the one it replaced that is 11 months old that stopped using the SD slot. New camera, new microSD - both with the same firmware and both refuse to use the microsd or even see it. Maybe I am expecting too much of a wyze camera wanting it to use the MicroSD slot and record non stop. I followed all steps from support and I have to delete the camera, add it again, put the micro SD in and it will see it. then when it’s formatted, it no longer sees the card and produces an error. call it what you want - but until this last firmware version, this was not an issue.

But they’re targeting you specifically apparently.

Have you wiped the card with the formatter from sdcard.org and then put it in the cam (don’t format it after putting in the cam)?

No, I don’t think they are targeting me. They are making their products garbage, take the V4 pan cam. What a marvel of crap that is. the way it rolled out focusing on any vehicle and not allowing the user to record events. they fixed it, true. But the way they roll out firmware is a who’s who of crap engineering. Its the one camera you cannot count on when you need to. Yes, I am phasing out Wyze and going with better branded products, but seriously, just make things work. I appreicate your input dave27.

I also have cameras that want to reformatted the SD card, but action fails. These cameras are 1000 miles away, so I will have to wait till I return this winter. I have had SD cards rejected / not found, and reformatted them on a computer first then on camera, and they started to work again. Sometimes I think it is the SD socket, but two going bad at the same time with the firmware update?

This is a patently false post. It needs to be removed.

OP doesn’t understand things. Blames company. Post # 1,500,483 of a human not taking accountability.

Here’s what I’m seeing:

A microSD card works perfectly in other Wyze cameras and can be formatted and recognized without a problem. Put that same card into a Pan Cam v4, and the camera won’t recognize it.

I’ve even tried a brand-new Pan Cam v4 with a brand-new microSD card, formatted exactly as Wyze instructs. Same result: the Pan Cam v4 won’t see it.

Take that exact same card and put it into a regular Cam v3 or Cam v4? It works.

At this point, I’ve exhausted the troubleshooting steps and suggestions provided by Wyze, with no luck. I own a lot of Wyze cameras, so this isn’t my first time setting one up or dealing with microSD cards. The Pan Cam v4 is the only newer model I own that has repeatedly given me problems like this.

And there’s another thing I can’t ignore: the constant firmware updates. If everything is working as intended, why does this camera seem to need firmware updates so frequently—especially when some of those updates leave the camera practically unusable?

So yes—prove me wrong. If someone has a Pan Cam v4 reliably recognizing and recording to a microSD card, I genuinely want to know what you did differently.

Because after swapping cameras, swapping cards, formatting them according to Wyze’s instructions, and confirming those same cards work in other Wyze cameras, this is looking a whole lot more like a Pan Cam v4 problem than a microSD card problem.

Hmmmmmm…

Couple things…

Did you do what @dave27 suggested?

Also, you said that firmware updates have left the cameras “unusable”. What firmware updates?

I have almost every model of camera since 2019. I have been a beta tester almost the whole time. I’m still updating V2’s and V3’s with NO issues. No brick, nothing. So what firmware update has made a camera unusable?

I know you want to use that as a justification that the company is sabotaging your SD Card but that’s simply not the case. Not even close. So, what evidence do you have that they are making cameras unusable?

Wyze does have a problem with the sd cards. I’ve had two cards that worked fine for 2 years. After installing in a new camera neither work. When checking them on a PC to see what the issue is windows says they are non repairable.

It’s worse than that on my end.

I took Dave’s advice above and used a completely different program to format a brand-new microSD card. I put it into the Pan Cam v4 I bought, the camera rebooted, and immediately told me the card needed to be formatted. So I tried formatting it through the camera — it fails. The Pan Cam v4 still will not recognize the card.

I’ve now tried this over and over with multiple microSD cards. These same cards work and format properly in my other Wyze cameras, yet the Pan Cam v4 refuses to recognize them.

At this point, I have a very hard time believing this is an SD card problem. There are simply too many different cards failing in the same camera. Something is wrong with this camera or its firmware.

To make matters worse, the Pan Cam v4 now wants to calibrate its motors — and that fails too.

This thing is becoming just as problematic as the first Pan Cam I bought right after it was released. Firmware updates are supposed to fix problems and improve devices, not turn previously working features into problems.

When an update causes working hardware to suddenly stop working, what exactly are customers supposed to conclude? It gets pretty hard not to wonder whether these updates are shortening the useful life of cameras and pushing customers toward buying replacements.

Whatever the explanation is, Wyze needs to address the Pan Cam v4 firmware. At this point, blaming SD cards just doesn’t hold water.

It must be me… Images showing the cam see’s it - then can’t see it - then wants to format it - then can’t format it - then cannot see it. EPIC FAIL. I even used sdcard.org for a format utility and it formatted the card. What fails is the camera.

I have two cam pan v3 and two v4. At the same location, mounted the same way. The V3 work just fine, even after latest firmware. The V4 have continued to ask to format SD card, then Fails.

Due to location, I have not tried removing sd cards.

That typically means the cards have just reached the end of their life. Obviously other things can cause it but if it can’t be formatted with the sdcard.org formatter, the card itself has died. Unless the cam sent too much voltage to it or something similar, it can’t really permanently damage a card.

This is happened to many of these cameras. There are plenty of topics on this many different people. I have 2 v3 cameras. Bought at the same time. Used same SD cards from same pack. One doesn’t record. One does. It’s not a user error. It did work. Now it doesn’t I have done nothing differently with my cameras. It’s either a camera issue or a firmware issue. I was instructed to give info, I did. Never received a response back.

Yes. Sadly that’s the Wyze support motto: remain invisible.